working with family - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > working with family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7792 Times on 4679 Posts
Likes Given: 9792

Is it at all possible to get your own apartment?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3243

I think for family to work together everyone has to be on the same page and want the same things. That applies to spouses and marriages as well. You can't want to build the business bigger if your father wants it to stay the same. There will be conflict. You can't want to have fun all day at work if he is only concerned about making money. You can't want to spend money if he only cares about saving it, or vice versa for all that.

Define your goals and make sure you both want the same things. Work together on common goals and you'll be amazed at how quick you can accomplish them. Work towards different goals and there will be conflict. If you have a very strict employee/employer relationship and you don't like that then you probably need to go somewhere else (back to the common goals thing).

And remember, he knows a lot more about the business side of things that you might not even be aware of simply because he has done it all for so much longer. I'm constantly amazed at how my view of business is changing from year to year depending on what I'm doing within a company. I'm constantly amazed at the new the new things I learn on the business and people side that I wasn't even aware of, and I've been in my field for 20 years.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #13

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I don't live with him. I'm married with a 4 year old. I'm just realizing that the money I'm making isn't worth the frustration of working with him. Hes stubborn smokes heavily and is never wrong in his mind. Its awful .... even when he is wrong he can't admit it and calls me all the time with sim ple and stupid things that can wait

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default All in the family..............

Plant a worry tree in the front yard..........it worked for me for a while, then I sprouted wings and left the nest................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Can you get your own truck and just not work with him directly?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3159 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

I'm thinkin' rurak's "worry tree" wouldn't last long. Something along the lines of Geo. Washington's "I can not tell a lie......."

Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Not knowing the intensity of aggravation between the two of you. I have to say this much. Unemployment is not at 8% the number this White House puppet gives but at 22% nationwide. And those that are employed are not making enough in wages in this country to see them through the week. So if you are making ends meet without problems, then find another way to sublimate the stressful conditions of working with your father. See the whole picture. That's probably the challenge life is giving you. Succeed at will.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Yes, it can be a major problem. I would surmise that you have encountered the "Powdered Butt Syndrome". It is almost impossible to accept advice or input on work, money or sex from anyone whose butt you have ever powdered and diapered.

And at the same time, there are probably things that you do (right or wrong) that drive your dad nuts. I started working for my dad at age 13. By age 17 I was certain that I knew everything about explosives one could know. Found out that while I knew a heck of a lot more than 99.9% of all 17 yr olds, I did not know more than 99.9% of all blasters- and THAT was a revelation!

Relationships DO change over time- but REALIZING that they change takes some folks longer to accept. To keep the social relation with your Dad, you will really need to separate the business relation.

As far as drugs and alcohol, all they do is move the issue a few hours forward, where it has gotten worse. As far as Dad smoking- a lifetime smoker is just as addicted as someone doing drugs. (Working around explosives IS a good way to kick THAT habit)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I'm 29 and I started working for my fathers electrical business at 23. I'm fully licensed now and I work with my father almost daily. I don't work for him but with him as a seperate contractor. To anyone who is thinking of joining a family business... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! My father is frigging driving me insane and I'm kind of stuck in my job financially now!!!!! Anyone have any tricks to help with leaving work stuff at work and not bringing it home.......
Plenty of range time...

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I don't live with him. I'm married with a 4 year old. I'm just realizing that the money I'm making isn't worth the frustration of working with him. Hes stubborn smokes heavily and is never wrong in his mind. Its awful .... even when he is wrong he can't admit it and calls me all the time with sim ple and stupid things that can wait
Get the Hell Out! The man is never wrong and calls you for crap tasks because you are still his little kid in his mind's eye. Pick your time, line up something solid, and leave on the best possible terms, but don't waste your youth slaving away for someone who probably feels like you are doing it as part of your "duty" as a son. I have worked for my father's business at different times throughout my life, during college, before grad school, etc. I can honestly say that my father is one of the best at what he does. I can also honestly say that after working in the family business with family, I will not miss my eldest and least favorite sister when she is dead; working with her has ruined an already tenuous relationship to the point neither of us would pull the other out of traffic on most days. Some days, I would almost push her into traffic mydamnself.

In an employment situation, the best way to keep a happy and harmonious relationship is to keep obligations simple and clearly understood by all; familial obligations are rarely clear or simple or equally understood by all parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Not knowing the intensity of aggravation between the two of you. I have to say this much. Unemployment is not at 8% the number this White House puppet gives but at 22% nationwide. And those that are employed are not making enough in wages in this country to see them through the week. So if you are making ends meet without problems, then find another way to sublimate the stressful conditions of working with your father. See the whole picture. That's probably the challenge life is giving you. Succeed at will.
Being hungry does suck; that is why you have to plan your exit very carefully.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.