working with family
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > working with family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Default working with family

I'm 29 and I started working for my fathers electrical business at 23. I'm fully licensed now and I work with my father almost daily. I don't work for him but with him as a seperate contractor. To anyone who is thinking of joining a family business... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! My father is frigging driving me insane and I'm kind of stuck in my job financially now!!!!! Anyone have any tricks to help with leaving work stuff at work and not bringing it home.......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Alcohol...

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Hahahahaha

Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's about all I've got for you. I myself have repeatedly learned the lesson, don't work with friends or family.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

Yeah well as I said I'm kind of stuck

Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I feel for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Default A Two Way Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I'm 29 and I started working for my fathers electrical business at 23. I'm fully licensed now and I work with my father almost daily. I don't work for him but with him as a seperate contractor. To anyone who is thinking of joining a family business... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! My father is frigging driving me insane and I'm kind of stuck in my job financially now!!!!! Anyone have any tricks to help with leaving work stuff at work and not bringing it home.......
Wow, that is a challenge to be sure. I'd start by find something to divert your attention at home. This is going to take a while - maybe a l-o-n-g while.

The problem is really the "why" he is "driving me insane". I begin by sorting that in your mind and then begin a dialogue with him -in a neutral setting with NO distractions. This should be only the first of many such talks. Set some ground rules for them to keep it civil. It is highly you are doing something that's driving him bonkers as well.

Both of you need to be open, honest, civil, rational, OBJECTIVE, and as calm as possible.

In the end, work on your relationship with him and he should as well. Always, always remember he IS your father and should be accorded that respect. He a lot smarter than you may think he is at this point. Be reconciled, saying sorry to a headstone a cemetery is a lousy place to think "if only I'd have ...

You may need an eventual job transition elsewhere. Be patient with him and yourself.

I have felt your pain.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2813 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1639

Remember, he will be your father long after you two no longer work side-by-side. There is bound to be some tension between you now and then. Take the time to calm down between sentences when things get contentious. This is as hard or easy as YOU make it.

I've worked with my brothers and sisters and invariably it was harder to work with my older brother than the others. I've run a business with my wife and we had very few blow ups. I've had in-laws and nieces and nephews work for me and some worked well, while directing others was like pulling my own teeth.

You say you're "kinda stuck", you've been wise to separate from your father's employ and it is by choice that you continue to work near him. You have the freedom to choose otherwise at anytime.

I no longer work with or employ any relatives, by choice. We all still love each other (to the best of my knowledge) and I feel for your situation. Make the best of it and try to internalize all of the experience and wisdow you can from your father while biting as much of your tongue off as you can stand.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Working with family sucks. I have fired both of my daughters, my brother and my sister. It is dificult to seperate work from family. I have no problem doing it. I guess that is obvious.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #10

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Alcohol...
Drugs help too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET