Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   working with family (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/working-family-89602/)

rurak 04-26-2013 12:27 PM

working with family

I'm 29 and I started working for my fathers electrical business at 23. I'm fully licensed now and I work with my father almost daily. I don't work for him but with him as a seperate contractor. To anyone who is thinking of joining a family business... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! My father is frigging driving me insane and I'm kind of stuck in my job financially now!!!!! Anyone have any tricks to help with leaving work stuff at work and not bringing it home.......

mountainman13 04-26-2013 12:41 PM

Alcohol...

rurak 04-26-2013 12:41 PM

Hahahahaha

mountainman13 04-26-2013 12:45 PM

That's about all I've got for you. I myself have repeatedly learned the lesson, don't work with friends or family.

rurak 04-26-2013 12:48 PM

Yeah well as I said I'm kind of stuck

mountainman13 04-26-2013 12:53 PM

I feel for you.

johnr1943 04-26-2013 12:58 PM

A Two Way Street

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak (Post 1227592)
I'm 29 and I started working for my fathers electrical business at 23. I'm fully licensed now and I work with my father almost daily. I don't work for him but with him as a seperate contractor. To anyone who is thinking of joining a family business... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! My father is frigging driving me insane and I'm kind of stuck in my job financially now!!!!! Anyone have any tricks to help with leaving work stuff at work and not bringing it home.......

Wow, that is a challenge to be sure. I'd start by find something to divert your attention at home. This is going to take a while - maybe a l-o-n-g while.

The problem is really the "why" he is "driving me insane". I begin by sorting that in your mind and then begin a dialogue with him -in a neutral setting with NO distractions. This should be only the first of many such talks. Set some ground rules for them to keep it civil. It is highly you are doing something that's driving him bonkers as well.

Both of you need to be open, honest, civil, rational, OBJECTIVE, and as calm as possible.

In the end, work on your relationship with him and he should as well. Always, always remember he IS your father and should be accorded that respect. He a lot smarter than you may think he is at this point. Be reconciled, saying sorry to a headstone a cemetery is a lousy place to think "if only I'd have ...

You may need an eventual job transition elsewhere. Be patient with him and yourself.

I have felt your pain.

eatmydust 04-26-2013 01:04 PM

Remember, he will be your father long after you two no longer work side-by-side. There is bound to be some tension between you now and then. Take the time to calm down between sentences when things get contentious. This is as hard or easy as YOU make it.

I've worked with my brothers and sisters and invariably it was harder to work with my older brother than the others. I've run a business with my wife and we had very few blow ups. I've had in-laws and nieces and nephews work for me and some worked well, while directing others was like pulling my own teeth.

You say you're "kinda stuck", you've been wise to separate from your father's employ and it is by choice that you continue to work near him. You have the freedom to choose otherwise at anytime.

I no longer work with or employ any relatives, by choice. We all still love each other (to the best of my knowledge) and I feel for your situation. Make the best of it and try to internalize all of the experience and wisdow you can from your father while biting as much of your tongue off as you can stand.

Rick1967 04-26-2013 01:08 PM

Working with family sucks. I have fired both of my daughters, my brother and my sister. It is dificult to seperate work from family. I have no problem doing it. I guess that is obvious.

HOSSFLY 04-26-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak (Post 1227592)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1227600)
Alcohol...

Drugs help too :)