work internet filter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > work internet filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default work internet filter

Well hi to everybody, i have not been around for a while. The reason is that work has installed a new web filter which has Firearms listed as a prohibited category :-( I think it is disgraceful myself but there is not much more I can do about it until I get a home connection which is now on my to do list. Until then I won't be around here much...

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well at least you have a job.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Talk to your IT guy and see what he can do for you. Sometimes it is just the way it comes. Talk to him or her and say you would like to view it on your break. It may work.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #4

Might have a go at that. I will be getting a home broadband service soon though. And as for having a job, that will depend on if we can sell another boat in the next few months or else we will be in receivership before long.

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNUT1100 View Post
Might have a go at that. I will be getting a home broadband service soon though. And as for having a job, that will depend on if we can sell another boat in the next few months or else we will be in receivership before long.
Good luck.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

my work had the same issues, anything like "gun, firearm, ammunition, hunting" or the like would set of bells and whistles. WARNING DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

It used to peeve me, as we were allowed small amounts of casual use, such as reading CNN and such. But whoever programmed the filters had it set that anything even remotely related to guns was blocked

Hence my acquistion of a laptop with a wireless card. Now I can buy ammo or post on this forum from anywhere

Old 01-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Google for online free web proxy sites. You might be able to get to one of those from work and from there, you can go anywhere in a pseudo-anonymous fashion; your IT department won't pick up that you're on a firearms-related site.

I don't want you to engage in anything that might get you fired or which might be against any laws in your area, but more often than not, IT folks just apply a broad list of sites and/or keywords to filter software without giving it much thought.