Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions

From Yahoo news, I think this is my new favorite reporter

Print Story: Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions
Sarah Jacobsson Sarah Jacobsson Mon May 31, 7:00 am ET

One day I was using my cell phone's GPS service to find the nearest Target. I was driving down the road when suddenly my cell phone piped up, "Turn right here." I looked to the right. There was no road, just a tree and some grass. I chalked it up to a GPS glitch and turned right at the next corner.

If I had been Lauren Rosenberg, however, I would have turned right at that very moment, hit the tree, suffered some cuts and minor brain damage, and then turned around and sued Verizon for the glitch in its GPS service.

Seriously.

Rosenberg, a Los Angeles California native, is suing Google because Google Maps issued directions that told her to walk down a rural highway. She started walking down the highway--which had no sidewalk or pedestrian paths--and was struck by a car. She is suing Google for her medical expenses ($100,000), as well as punitive damages. She is also suing the driver who struck her, Patrick Harwood of Park City, Utah.

On January 19, 2010, Rosenberg was apparently trying to get from 96 Daly Street, Park City, Utah, to 1710 Prospector Avenue, Park City, Utah. She looked up the walking directions using Google Maps on her Blackberry. Google Maps suggested a route that included a half-mile walk down "Deer Valley Drive," which is also known as "Utah State Route 224."

There's not much more to say--she started walking down the middle of a highway, and a car hit her. Who wouldn't have seen that one coming?

According to Rosenberg's complaint filing:

"As a direct and proximate cause of Defendant Google’s careless, reckless and negligent providing of unsafe directions, Plaintiff Lauren Rosenberg was led onto a dangerous highway, and was thereby stricken by a motor vehicle, causing her to suffer sever permanent physical, emotional, and mental injuries, including pain and suffering."

Google actually does offer up a warning about its walking directions--if you view Google Maps on a computer, it gives you the following message: "Walking directions are in beta. Use caution--This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths."

This warning does not show up in PDA's and cell phones, however. I suppose Google figured that people who are smart enough to use Blackberries are probably also smart enough to not walk directly into the middle of traffic.

For the record, when I look up driving directions from my current city (San Francisco, California) to the city I grew up in (Tokyo, Japan), Google Maps suggests I kayak across the Pacific Ocean (with a rest stop in Hawaii, of course).

I can't wait until Ms. Rosenberg tries to travel overseas ("The plaintiff was unaware that attempting to kayak 5,100 miles is an unreasonable endeavor").

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Doesn't surprise me. In today's world no one can make a mistake or just be stupid, someone has to be at fault for everything and that person needs to pay. The stupid is taking over our country...

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

NOTHING surprises me anymore...

Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Hopefully she was rendered sterile as a result of the accident. This will prevent her from passing along her defective genes that casued this in the first place.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Too bad she survived, this weakens the herd

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Too bad she survived, this weakens the herd
My thought exactly. Either this woman is dumb as a bag of hair or she was looking for a lawsuit. That's suitable reason, IMO, for her genetic makeup to end with her and go no further.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Protecting the stupid from their selves

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

These types of stories are sad, because Google has some truly great minds and they openly enjoy putting funny things out there.

For years you could go to Google maps and put in your hometown and then put in London, England and hit directions.

You would get turn by turn directions up to somewhere in Maine, then it would tell you strip down and swim across the Atlantic. The time frame would be broken down by the drive and then the swim would be broken down by stroke ( freestyle, backstroke, butterfly ) and how strong of a swimmer you were. It was brilliant.

Now that feature is gone, probably because of morons like this one.

JD

Old 06-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my opinion, this is a classic frivolous lawsuit.
Lauren Rosenberg is a Philistine.

Clearly, Goggle has Terms and Conditions for use of their products. They will now probably need to add a disclaimer to the effect of Not responsible for Stupidity. Persons with IQ's less than 50 should not use Goggle. CA should rightfully seek damages for expense and waste of time. Her lawyer should be disbarred.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

She should have to prove the brain damage occured as a result of being hit by the car, obviously she was already brain damaged.
See, she should've been wearin her walkin helmet!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson