Woman at Arlington Cemetery resigns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Woman at Arlington Cemetery resigns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8456 Times on 4899 Posts
Likes Given: 11023

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's exactly what really happened. Her and her friend liked rebelling against authority, and supposedly do this type of thing semi regularly. She supposedly wasn't really screaming, and there was supposedly no one around to see the finger.

Very similar to the picture I have somewhere. Standing next to a sign that says "swim at your own risk. Do not feed the alligators" I'm wearing flippers, a snorkel, and mask. And a Speedo. While holding a bag of hot dogs. I never got in the water though.

But this is a different level of a$$holery.
You know the drill. PICS OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

You know the drill. PICS OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!
I freaking wish. I've gone through everything I have. Computer, old phones, albums, I can't find it. It's been 8 years, 9 homes, 7 jobs, 1 tent, and 1 divorce ago. Crap gets lost

Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #33

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I don't have time for dirt bags like her and the Baptist church members that demonstrates at veterans funerals. It will become a very bad scene if I am ever witness to their disrespectful actions.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

ZOMBIE THREAD!!! Get the shotgun!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #35
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I personally agree with the thread. But just as I was about to add my venom to be spit at her, I had a thought, so I decided to play a little Devil's Advocate. Please take this as an intellectual exercise as it is NOT my personal belief.

We all realize why the 2nd Amendment IS the 2nd: It is there to protect the 1st Amendment. Freedom of speech is our greatest right. Now, it has been proven that free speech cannot place others in harm's way (i.e. yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre), however, no one here was potentially harmed. Then the thought occurred to me: What if a camera crew filmed Andrew Dice Clay doing this? Wouldn't it be seen as a media event by the Great Defiler himself? Was the only crime that she was not a known star and her ego caused her to post it on Facebook for the world to criticize? What if a great artist had included this photo amongst others like it at a museum opening - would people with money and taste been bidding it up into the tens of thousands of dollars?

I'm trying to put this in a fair context and examine the act from a different point of view. We vehemently defend our 2nd Amendment rights, but wasn't this act an exercise of her 1st Amendment rights? Yes, it was disrespectful, even deplorable, but haven't we been told that that is our right as Americans? Artists and others have been pushing this line for a long time, why can't the individual? Please let me know if anyone has an intelligent opinion or different take than even this one.

Pretend you're her attorney defending her actions in a court of law and get her acquitted. What would you argue?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-08-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
More of the ME generation. Never taught to respect other things. The generation that never got punished and always got a trophy, just for participating....
I heard the other day that anthropologists are labeling this the "Triple Nothing" Generation:

They believe in nothing,
They produce nothing,
They aspire to nothing.

Kudos to Towboater for breaking the tendency of his generation to do and respect nothing. One of my kids was not so driven.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I would never dream of doing what she did, and I certainly don't condone what she did, but there is a certain irony here. Everybody is jumping in her #### because she had the nerve to exercise one of the rights so many of those buried at Arlington fought and died for. That she did it in a contemptible manner is certainly true, but it is her right under our Constitution.

Moving back to my more cynical nature, anybody want to bet she sues her former employer about a hostile work environment?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9154 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Yes. First Amendment says you have freedom of speech. That means that CONGRESS cannot create a LAW that infringes on your speech.

The idiot in this thread did not run afoul of CONGRESS, nor of the LAW. She ran afoul of private person's disapproval of her asshattery. As far as Andrew Dice Clay, some folks mistake freedom from the law with free of repercussions. Remember the Dixie Chicks? What came down on them was not Congress- it was their fans.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #39
FTF_MODERATOR.png

C3,

Certainly anyone that relies on their income from fans has to walk the party, or public, line. But isn't it possible for someone bucking convention to express themselves without losing their job? Even the gal shooting the pic was fired; does that seem like a lot of collateral damage for a finger shot with open mouth?

And yes, the amendment spoke directly to political free speech, but has been upheld time and time again to be broadly interpreted. So the Supreme Court says it applies to all speech, as long as no one is unnecessarily endangered.

Again, I personally believe this woman earned an A$$hat of the Year award. But what if we look at this in a new light?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #40

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
C3,

Certainly anyone that relies on their income from fans has to walk the party, or public, line. But isn't it possible for someone bucking convention to express themselves without losing their job? Even the gal shooting the pic was fired; does that seem like a lot of collateral damage for a finger shot with open mouth?

And yes, the amendment spoke directly to political free speech, but has been upheld time and time again to be broadly interpreted. So the Supreme Court says it applies to all speech, as long as no one is unnecessarily endangered.

Again, I personally believe this woman earned an A$$hat of the Year award. But what if we look at this in a new light?
If she works for an "at-will" employer, she can be fired for literally anything. It's usually in the employment contract.