Wire-Tap...GPS....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wire-Tap...GPS....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default Wire-Tap...GPS....

A guy shot a policeman in Farmington just south of St.Louis and after he ran-away,the police called AT&T and had his cell-phone Wired ...GPS...and tracked-him to a house and busted-him....They say all new smart-phones have GPS that you can't turn-off....Is this Wire-Tapping to you ???.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Sounds fishy. How did they know what cell number was his and what carrier he had??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #3

I don't know...Good question....I just seen it on the local news yesterday and never thought about that...That's how the Farmington police got the guy from the news report..........

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

It's not right that they can track you everywhere you go and see everywhere you been....If you leave your camera on your computer they can hack0in even when it's off and watch the room it's pointed in...So I'm told.....

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

had the police talked to him before he shot? maybe handed over his license or told them his name? did he run from his car? lot of missing info.. on the phone side of the story. as long as they had his name bet money the gps part is true

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'd believe it, I heard similar stories years ago. I can get your name possibly, if not then just your city/locale and your provider from an application on my phone, just from your number. If some odd number calls and I'm not expecting a call, I run the number.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

It is not a "wire tap" as conversations/texts cannot be monitored. In exigent circumstances, a cell phone can be "pinged" giving a snap shot of the location of the phone. They will not "track" the phone, only give GPS coordinates and note whether it is moving or stationary. Don't shoot cops and you have little to worry about.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Agree it is not a wire tap, nor is it truly GPS. It is pinging the phone, and finding what cells the phone is nearest- with 3 cells, sort of like using a radio direction finder.

As far as the computer camera- there was a school that got busted last year- school issued laptops w/ cameras, seems school was activating camera when kids were at home.

With ANY electronic device- phone, cell phone, smart phone, tablet, laptop, Ipad- unless it's off and the battery is out, assume it CAN be manipulated by SOMEONE, somewhere.

Even then, am not too sure. I do know that 40 years ago, a wired telephone could be rigged from the phone company to listen in on what was said around it even when on the hook.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Lots of things can be done with these smart phones that people never imagined could be done even if they are left off . I was told by a friend that works for verizon that if verizon wanted to they could turn your phone on even if it was off as long as the battery was in it and charged they could put you pretty close to it thru the GPS to find it if lost

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #10

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
It is not a "wire tap" as conversations/texts cannot be monitored. In exigent circumstances, a cell phone can be "pinged" giving a snap shot of the location of the phone. They will not "track" the phone, only give GPS coordinates and note whether it is moving or stationary. Don't shoot cops and you have little to worry about.
We get lost climbers up on MT Hood all the time. I've hear report of there snow caves being located by triangulating their cell signal. Sound like "pinging" as explained by ROBO and C3.

Tack