Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Wire-Tap...GPS.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/wire-tap-gps-59084/)

LONGHAIR 02-29-2012 02:33 PM

Wire-Tap...GPS....

A guy shot a policeman in Farmington just south of St.Louis and after he ran-away,the police called AT&T and had his cell-phone Wired ...GPS...and tracked-him to a house and busted-him....They say all new smart-phones have GPS that you can't turn-off....Is this Wire-Tapping to you ???.....

JonM 02-29-2012 02:47 PM

Sounds fishy. How did they know what cell number was his and what carrier he had??

LONGHAIR 02-29-2012 03:10 PM

I don't know...Good question....I just seen it on the local news yesterday and never thought about that...That's how the Farmington police got the guy from the news report.....:confused:.....

LONGHAIR 02-29-2012 03:12 PM

It's not right that they can track you everywhere you go and see everywhere you been....If you leave your camera on your computer they can hack0in even when it's off and watch the room it's pointed in...So I'm told.....

jjfuller1 02-29-2012 03:12 PM

had the police talked to him before he shot? maybe handed over his license or told them his name? did he run from his car? lot of missing info.. on the phone side of the story. as long as they had his name bet money the gps part is true

XxChino13xX 02-29-2012 03:21 PM

I'd believe it, I heard similar stories years ago. I can get your name possibly, if not then just your city/locale and your provider from an application on my phone, just from your number. If some odd number calls and I'm not expecting a call, I run the number.

robocop10mm 02-29-2012 03:24 PM

It is not a "wire tap" as conversations/texts cannot be monitored. In exigent circumstances, a cell phone can be "pinged" giving a snap shot of the location of the phone. They will not "track" the phone, only give GPS coordinates and note whether it is moving or stationary. Don't shoot cops and you have little to worry about.

c3shooter 02-29-2012 04:27 PM

Agree it is not a wire tap, nor is it truly GPS. It is pinging the phone, and finding what cells the phone is nearest- with 3 cells, sort of like using a radio direction finder.

As far as the computer camera- there was a school that got busted last year- school issued laptops w/ cameras, seems school was activating camera when kids were at home.

With ANY electronic device- phone, cell phone, smart phone, tablet, laptop, Ipad- unless it's off and the battery is out, assume it CAN be manipulated by SOMEONE, somewhere.

Even then, am not too sure. I do know that 40 years ago, a wired telephone could be rigged from the phone company to listen in on what was said around it even when on the hook.

purehavoc 02-29-2012 04:35 PM

Lots of things can be done with these smart phones that people never imagined could be done even if they are left off . I was told by a friend that works for verizon that if verizon wanted to they could turn your phone on even if it was off as long as the battery was in it and charged they could put you pretty close to it thru the GPS to find it if lost

Tackleberry1 02-29-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 724238)
It is not a "wire tap" as conversations/texts cannot be monitored. In exigent circumstances, a cell phone can be "pinged" giving a snap shot of the location of the phone. They will not "track" the phone, only give GPS coordinates and note whether it is moving or stationary. Don't shoot cops and you have little to worry about.

We get lost climbers up on MT Hood all the time. I've hear report of there snow caves being located by triangulating their cell signal. Sound like "pinging" as explained by ROBO and C3.

Tack