Winter auto accident video
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Winter auto accident video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Default Winter auto accident video

To those whose kids are without much winter driving experience, you might want to share this with them . . . or you might not (00:30 sec):

http://rmirror.net/r/videos/comments/q5hu9/car_accident_nsfl/

Last edited by Vincine; 03-31-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Knowing the limits of your vehicle and sensing road conditions come with experience. Even with those things, you can get screwed if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Terrible video, but good to show for kids who are new to driving. I have a son who needs to see this. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I just sent it to my daughter who got her lic last week. Thanks for the link.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I's amazing how many other drivers get pulled into an accident, and affected by it. The two trucks, and anyone that stopped to help. This was really tragic...it did not look like they were screwing around...perhaps just a moment of inattention caused them to drift and over-correct.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is really scary! It just goes to show you that it does not take much to change or end your life. I am assuming that the SUV passengers did not make it and I am sure that everyone involved has been affected by this. WOW

Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
. . perhaps just a moment of inattention caused them to drift and over-correct.
Looked to me they changed lanes and then speeded up to pass the truck, causing the directional momentum/tire adhesion dynamics to change. And then the over-correction. Lesson? Don't try to pass trucks on sloppy roads.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-31-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Looked to me they changed lanes and then speeded up to pass the truck, causing the directional momentum/tire adhesion dynamics to change. And then the over-correction. Lesson? Don't try to pass trucks on sloppy roads.
Yes, and if things go bad on slick surface, let off the gas. Most times that will begin the correction and will be all that's needed.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Around here we seem to have a lot of drivers who moved from somewhere where there is no snow. They totally freak out and start doing some dumb things when there is snow coming down. Cars are bumper to bumper and slowed down to about 5 to 10 miles per hour. If they would allow extra distance between cars they could be going 20 mph or more and still be safe. We also see people with 4WD acting like they own the road. They don't seem to get it that the 4WD doesn't help them stop on slick roads, and we see them plowing into the rear ends of stopped vehicles. Driving on slick roads requires extra caution all the way around.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

This story reminds me of a MUCH lighter one about myself. In the early 80's we got about 4" of snow on the ground. It was a saturday and early, was on my way to work. The road had packed snow, I was driving a malibu station wagon. The light changed from green to red and I needed to stop. I pulled the gear shift on the collum from drive to d2 then d1 and applied the brake ever so slightly. As I was doing this I could feel the rear wheels slowing me down and also keeping me straight. I thought I had a plan for this winter driving.

The next morning on the way to work, conditions were the same. I'll be dogged if that same light didn't catch me again. No problem, I down shift the auto transmission into D2. Before I knew what happened I had done 3 complete 360's and stopped in the same lane in perfect position to be stopped at the light. After gathering my senses, It dawned on me. I'm in my wifes pontiac 6000, a front wheel drive car! Duh

Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
. . . They don't seem to get it that the 4WD doesn't help them stop on slick roads, and we see them plowing into the rear ends of stopped vehicles. . .
We get some of those drivers too.

Without wanting to make light of the tragedy recorded in the video;

Up here we say that the benefit of 4WD over 2WD, is that 4WD allows you to get hopelessly stuck much further off the road then if you only had 2WD.