Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post

English please..
I think that every time I read a post by him. Lol

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Middle Sister Merlot ain't no bad stuff either............

Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2521 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 1395

Here is a little info. on wines.

Price does not necessarily equate directly to drinkability. The priciest wines are those produced that are meant to be aged before consumption. These wines are almost unfit for consumption when very young. They include: many of the reds from Bordeau, Burgundy and the Cote de Rhone in France; Vintage Ports from Portugal; the priciest Cabernet Sauvignons, Merlots, Syrahs and Blends from California and Washington state; Pinot Noirs from CA, WA, and Oregon; big bold vintage reds from all over Italy; and there are many others.

Some white wines are meant to be aged before consumption, but not nearly as many as reds.

European wines have traditionally been named for the location(appellation) where the grapes were grown and/or wine vinted, German wines are the pinnacle of whites and are named for many things, location, producer, fantasy names, etc (for you Jagermeister). They are also (I'll ruffle feathers here) what Euros call more refined, I call it more processed tasting in many cases, though there are many truly great wines produced in Europe. U.S. wines tend to be fruitier (truer to the grape) and less "refined" than Euro. wines.

Australian wines are a wildcard, they range from very inventive to very traditional, they are usually named for the grape or blend, but some are given fantasy names. They produce top quality wines in a full range from bold reds to light fruity whites, and they tend to be very value priced.

The U.S. wines are my favorites, but not by much. We have found ways to copycat virtually every grape growing region on Earth, because of our geographic diversity. California can and does produce wines that compare favorably to almost every great wine producing region. Oregon tends to produce wines reminiscent of Burgundy and the Loire Valley in France. Washington produces very good reds, but they sometimes don't equal the warmer regions of CA, however, Washington's cooler climate parallels that of Germany many years and WA whites can be outstanding.

Many other states have traditions of grape growing and wine production with New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania probably being in the second tier, NY maybe only slightly behind the West coast in some areas. I've been on wine tours in these states and have found very good wines/wineries in each. Go find out for yourselves. Try your local vintners out, you'll be surprised.

Don't over spend expecting a better wine just because it costs more, there is no dollar/drinkability correlation.

Red wine with red meat, white with fish and chicken - BS! Yes that tends to work out well in most cases, but it's not gospel, drink what YOU like with whatever you eat and you'll be happiest.

Enough for now.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

dango Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2845 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 16954

O...n...e...., ...q...u...e...s...t...I...o...n...? D...o...e...s...----f...o...o...t ---c...o...n...d...I...t...I...o...n...--m...a...t...t...e...r....?

You know , like athletes foot , hoof -n- mouth..? Potently of vino..?
Two week ole sock vs two month ole sock...? I feel the need to get bare footin and some grape anger management maybe..?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
O...n...e...., ...q...u...e...s...t...I...o...n...? D...o...e...s...----f...o...o...t ---c...o...n...d...I...t...I...o...n...--m...a...t...t...e...r....?

You know , like athletes foot , hoof -n- mouth..? Potently of vino..?
Two week ole sock vs two month ole sock...? I feel the need to get bare footin and some grape anger management maybe..?
Lamisil (terbinafine) is used to treat infections caused by fungus that affect the fingernails or toenails and is required treatment prior to stomping. No socks allowed.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #26

Liked 1759 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 902

One rule I've found to pretty true; Never buy wine with an animal on the label.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 157

We sort of make our own wine. Found a business that uses the wine "kits", but uses professional level equipment to make the wine.

What you might buy in the store for 10-15, we buy for about 5. Where it really pays off, what you might buy in the store for 35-50, costs about 8-10.

For several years, I went to a wine/food tasting where the sommelier set up the wine for specific wines. I always tasted ahead on the wines. One particular event, figured wine #5 might taste good with food #3. I had no idea... Can't even begin to describe the experience, but it was literally a tasted explosion.

We have something like 11 different wines made now.

Out of all the wines, Pies Porter is easily the most complex. It goes through several changes as it ages. Seems to settle down after about 18 months. Merlot, just continues to age and mellow. Luna Bianca requires a bolder white meat like turkey or heavily spiced chicken. We're trying a new higher end Riesling, but it will sit at least a year before indulging