Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   wine thread (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/wine-thread-74296/)

jjfuller1 10-14-2012 01:14 PM

wine thread

5 Attachment(s)
Making wine is a wonderful hobby and has been around for a very long time. Often, home wine makers can become a business if they want to pursue that side of it. For me its simply fun, and rewarding. I was recently asked about the process that I use so I will attempt to describe it as well as provide photoís of the steps.

I think I will start with a list of ingredients, equipment, and tools that I use. Note here that you donít need to use exactly what I do, or follow every one of my steps. Its just what MY process is. You can research and experiment just like anything else and that is part of the fun. I learned from my uncle and it has worked for him and myself for many years.

First, my list of equipment:
5 gallon glass carboys
1 gallon glass jugs
5 ft small diameter plastic tubing
5 ft larger diameter plastic tubing
Several funnels of different sizes
Toppers
Corks in assorted sizes
Corker
Bowl
Measuring cup
Empty wine bottles
Labels
Notebook and pen/pencil
Paper towels
Towels
6 quart pot

Ingredients I use:
Pure cane sugar (cheapest brand)
Water
Yeast (montrachet)
Yeast nutrient
Acid blend
Wine or fruit juice
Potassium metasulfite( sterilizer )
Pectic enzyme(helps clear fruit wines)

Okay, now the fun begins Iíll try to describe this as best that I can, I have never been much for writing.

Starting your wine. I like to start with the step that takes the longest. Take your pot, add a five pound bag of suger, then add maybe a quart or two of water. Or however much it takes to fill pot. Start with less water, you can always add a little more. Place it on the stove and set to boil. Stir this occasionally, once its at a rolling bowl you should have a sort of suger syrup. If it seems to thick, add a little water. If its seems to thin add a little suger. You want it to be a little thinner than honey, and maple syrup consistency. It should also have a slight golden look to it. After you have reached this turn off the burner and just let it sit. You should have a small bowl, in this bowl you should have 1 cup of warm water. Add the proper amount of yeast nutrient, one yeast packet, and a half cup of your suger syrup. This is to get the yeast starting working before adding it to the juice you have selected. Gently stir once, watch for thirty seconds to a minute. You may be able to see a Bubble, and movement. it will have The smell of bread due to the yeast. At this point you will add the mixture to the five gallon carboy that is holding your juice. Use the funnel here. You then also had the acid blend and about 2 cups of your suger syrup to the carboy. Side note here, if your carboy is very full be sure to remove some juice. We often set what we remove in the fridge for drinking or making jams. Back to topic, Now you should be seeing a lot of bubbling, and foaming action. Wipe out inside mouth of carboy to remove any residue with paper towel. Dip cork with topper in sterilizing solution and wipe off with paper towel. Place cork and topper into carboy. The topper has a little bit of water in it and should start bubbling within a few minutes sometimes. After a day it should be bubbling rapidly and smell absolutely delicous. This is good, all the ingredients are working. Label your carboy with the name of wine or juice, the date and place into storage. Be sure to monitor for a week because sometimes the wine will bubble so much it spills over. So heres the hard part Now we have to wait five to six months!

Racking is the term I use for the process that takes place multiple times after the initial start process.
Its very simple, after the sugers, and yeast do there thing the yeast dies and settles to the bottom of the carboy. Try hard when moving the carboy to not mix it up too much. At the six month mark we bring out the full carboy and one empty carboy. We use the larger hose or tubing to siphon the wine from one to the other while not disturbing too much of the sediment. At this point while its siphoning we add another two cups of suger syrup as needed. If it tastes good we may add less or none at all. It merely sweetens it and raises the aclohol content. We prefer to do this process at least three times. Which puts our wine they way we like it around the twenty -two to twenty-four month mark.

Now that we have waited, and racked several times its finally time to bottle. The wine bottles should be cleaned, and sterilized. And the corks should be placed in sterilizer until used. This time we use the tiny hose(tubing) to siphon the wine from the carboy to the bottles. Fill one, pinch the hose to slow down or stop the flow. Move to the next bottle and release hose to fill. Repeat until all the bottles are filled or your carboy is emptied. generally what little few drops left in the carboy are poured into my cup for a double tasting to verify its ready ;) . Now we take each bottle one at a time place into our corker, and cork. Bottles are moved onto the table for labeling. Again I put name of wine or juice, and year made.

Now for a few finishing thoughts. every time you empty a carboy, or jug. I have found itís best to wash, rinse and sanitize them right away. They are easier to clean and prepped for when they are needed next. I also put plastic wrap or some form of topper on them to help keep out dust even when empty. I also like my wine bottles to be delabeled. I use any bottles I can get a hold of. I wash, scrub delabel them. So when its time for use I only need rinse and sanitize. Helps me save some time.
Also, all of the ingredients have directions written on them about how they should be mixed. Such as my yeast, one package will do all five gallons. Or the acid, it says exactly how much you need per gallon of wine juice.

Hopefully this was clear enough. If you have questions ask away Iíll try to answer them.

Sorry , the pictures are all here at the bottom. But you should be able to make sense of it. There is suger syrup, the ingredients , siphoning, the corker. And finished products.

jjfuller1 10-14-2012 01:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)

LongBaller71 10-14-2012 02:10 PM

Very cool! Thanks for posting this up. That looks like a pretty amazing set up you have going there!

towboater 10-14-2012 03:13 PM

Where do you buy your stuff. (Yeast, 5 gal jug ect) I have a few plastic 5 gal drinking jugs. I'm guessing plastic aint as good as glass.

jjfuller1 10-14-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towboater
Where do you buy your stuff. (Yeast, 5 gal jug ect) I have a few plastic 5 gal drinking jugs. I'm guessing plastic aint as good as glass.

At the place I go to for juice I also buy the yeast, and other dry ingredients. They sell 5g Carboys both plastic and glass but I've never bought from them. I've had some things given to me, craigslist for some and use google. There are wine and beer supplies stores all over for most items. I assume glass is better, but I've just never used plastic.

partdeux 10-14-2012 09:40 PM

I'm spoiled. Right across the Detroit River in Canada is a great little shop where they make "home brew" beer and wine. All done on commercial grade equipment, and they use the wine kits. It costs me just a touch more to drive over to bottle it and bring it back then to do it myself. Literally, including gas and tolls, it's something like an extra $30 or $40.

We have something like 11 different kinds of wine now. I have really begun to appreciate the importance of the right wine for the right food. It came to a head during a wine/food tasting extravaganza a few years ago. I took a little sip of each wine ahead of time, and the somilier had chosen a particular wine for a particular food. I thought one of the other wines would be better. I could not have expected the explosion of flavor from the combination.

Piesporter is an extremely complex wine. It changes at six months, 12 months, and one last time at 18 months.

I have a white zin exotic fruit that is carbonated. It works extremely well with pizza :)
White Zin is the general drinking wine
Just made a blueberry white wine that is also carbonated, I'm not sure this will be made again.
Piesporter is great with chicken.
Merlot for red meats.
Opening Valpalecillo for the first time tonight
Luna Bianca ROCKS with turkey
SWMBO wanted a Pinot Grito, I haven't found a good use for that
Luna Rosa will never be made again, as popular as it apparently is, we didn't like it.
SWMBO has a carbonated cranberry pinot grito, I hate cranberries.
Chardonnay is great with pork

Mosin 10-14-2012 11:02 PM

Do you guys have good results with the Bersa grape? I find the Bersa grape to produce the finest wine around, as long as I allow the 'noble rot'.

jjfuller1 10-15-2012 07:50 PM

i could smell it as soon as i opend my front door. just imagine the taste of concord grapes.. thats what it smells like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLymgz0qV8&feature=youtu.be

orangello 10-15-2012 07:55 PM

What if you happen to like sweeter wines like Lambrusco or those German ones spatlese and auslese? There was one called piersporter michelsberg or something along those lines, that was outstanding. (dang i miss the wine selection in memphis)

jjfuller1 10-15-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 977719)
What if you happen to like sweeter wines like Lambrusco or those German ones spatlese and auslese? There was one called piersporter michelsberg or something along those lines, that was outstanding. (dang i miss the wine selection in memphis)

add more suger. my wife likes it really sweet. i can go either way. so most of ours get lots of suger.
this trick even works with store bought wine sometimes.. not always but sometimes.. just add a small amount of suger syrup to a bottle and find out.