You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Windstorm and power outtage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5776 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 2781

Dango,
Some could take good advise from you! We did the same when we had the home built in 2003 here in the Appalachians in Tennessee. Being way out in the boon docks one has to plan ahead even as you did. Example; fallen trees on lines, ice storms, wind and storms. It would be best for all to fined someone who is skilled with electricity to come and put a couple of dead circuits for a generator in even on an existing home as you did. When we had the home built I put two extra plug in dead circuits with "Red Face Plates"in for using our 6500 generator to set and run out of the garage door and firing it up. We simply set the Generator outside the Garages Door, shutting the door and run an extension cord into one of the dead circuit back up plugs. Then we can plug into them and run basic items on extension cords while the power is out. *Like the TV, Coffee Pot, Refrig and Freezer. You know the live saving items to watch Football on TV and keep the Beer Cold! Saved our Bippy more than once! And we also have an LP Fireplace with a 90 gal. tank and a Kareson Heater with Kerosene on standby. We know as of two years ago have a permanent Generac Generator that comes on 10 seconds after the power failure on a 500 gal LP Tank. So if we are gone for a few days we do not loose everything in the freezer like the half and quarter of beef we lost twice in the past when we were not home! And other items in the Refrigerator.
Moral of the Story! It simply is a good idea to be prepared for the worst! Good job on your part! So something for others to think about.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 11324 Times on 5537 Posts
Likes Given: 42678

We are set up to run everything but the water heater , too many amps ! We have the box set up as not to send juice back out so working guys don't get zapped . We just kind a like the quiet though , it is fun .

Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 AM   #13

Liked 1464 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

Just had a brief power outage: on and off for about a minute, then down for about ten minutes, then back on (really screwed up my internet connection to the house from the Toybox). Our generator dutifully kicked in and provided power to the house and barn, and the one 20A circuit I have from the barn over to my shed/Toybox/Mancave at least gave me light and - if need be, power to the refrigerator.. My Toybox is on a completely separate power line, so when the juice goes out, it is dark except for the one 20A circuit from the barn, which is covered by the house generator.

Am considering a whole-house generator (or at least an electric-start generator) for the Toybox now, probably not 30kw like the house, but enough to heat my Mancave and a few other things. Unlike the house, I don't have any fireplaces to keep things warm. I DO have kerosene heaters, though...
dango Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #14

Do you have to set all things with clocks and timers ...? Every time juice goes out , I make the rounds resetting things , routinely ...

Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #15

Liked 1464 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Do you have to set all things with clocks and timers ...? Every time juice goes out , I make the rounds resetting things , routinely ...
Yes and no. Our computers, router, cell access, DirecTV and TV and digital clock in the family room, and our cordless phones are on un-interruptable power supplies (UPS), so anything connected the the UPSs is good to go until the generator kicks in. Our bedside clocks have a battery backup built in so they're GTG too. The analog clock on our oven has been broken since we bought the place (it is 27 years old), so it is right twice a day, for about a minute each time.

The only clocks that need to be reset are the ones in the microwaves (house, barn, and Toybox/ManCave), and we only bother with the kitchen microwave. Wall clocks are all battery operated.

We have at least seven UPSs that I have accumulated over the years and when their batteries die, I replace the batteries.
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

Liked 657 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Every time juice goes out , I make the rounds resetting things , routinely ...
Imagine: you work at a NASA satellite tracking station ( imagine how much trouble ensues when you say that in public ) Transportation is provided because the work site is over 50 miles from town.

you pull up in front of a house at 22:59:30. The guy you are picking up last gets in. At 23:00:00 9 watches BEEP simultaneously. Ten seconds later, one watch BEEPs and the guy wearing that watch takes a boatload of harassment for a month.

Every clock reads the same as every other clock always. Some people see this as anal retentive obsession. A very few realize that if it is not accurate it is not a clock, the fact that there is one right way to spell a word means that if you have not checked your spelling you have not checked your facts, if it is not sharp it is not a knife, if it is not loaded it is not a defensive firearm... and people who don't get that never get jobs at a NASA satellite tracking station.
dango Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by microadventure View Post
Imagine: you work at a NASA satellite tracking station ( imagine how much trouble ensues when you say that in public ) Transportation is provided because the work site is over 50 miles from town.

you pull up in front of a house at 22:59:30. The guy you are picking up last gets in. At 23:00:00 9 watches BEEP simultaneously. Ten seconds later, one watch BEEPs and the guy wearing that watch takes a boatload of harassment for a month.

Every clock reads the same as every other clock always. Some people see this as anal retentive obsession. A very few realize that if it is not accurate it is not a clock, the fact that there is one right way to spell a word means that if you have not checked your spelling you have not checked your facts, if it is not sharp it is not a knife, if it is not loaded it is not a defensive firearm... and people who don't get that never get jobs at a NASA satellite tracking station.
Not so " anal retentive" but absolute relativity maybe....?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2138 Times on 1063 Posts

Default Windstorm and power outtage

Quote:
Originally Posted by microadventure View Post

Haha.... they all drive their own cars to work because it's at the other end of town. They are affectionately referred to as bus drivers, and satellite tracking isn't nearly as accurate as you might think! Also none of them work for NASA

dango Likes This