Wild dog hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wild dog hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wild dog hunting

Part of my job is overseeing a 460-acre ranch and we've been invaded by a small pack of wild dogs who are hungry, so they're pestering our horses and donkeys. We're also afraid that they'll start coming after our more "domesticated" dogs and cats, who are pets but spend most of their time outdoors.

Our ranch foreman dropped one yesterday. I'll be looking forward to taking care of the rest of them over the next few evenings. Now I get to try my AR on something that moves.

Private property = no license required = kill feral animals = big time FUN!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Get you a cheap dying rabbit call and I bet they will come a running.

Or go and see if you can't get some rotten meat form the stores. Put it out in a big pile and start shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you have an ipod touch or iphone, try that "kitty!" application with the cat sounds; i've been waiting to hear the results on that one. It drives my cats nutser.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

Two great ideas!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If you have an ipod touch or iphone, try that "kitty!" application with the cat sounds; i've been waiting to hear the results on that one. It drives my cats nutser.
I'm gonna try this one first, downloading the app now, plus it'll take me two hours round-trip to get to Cabela's for a call cause I live in BF Idaho. I'll let yall know how it works.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I hope it works well. I doubt we will see "wild dog hunting, there's an app for that" on an ipod commercial, though.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

No, you won't. I downloaded the app for my iPhone, but the kitty only cries for about a minute and then stops. No dog(s) for me today, gonna get dark here soon.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
No, you won't. I downloaded the app for my iPhone, but the kitty only cries for about a minute and then stops. No dog(s) for me today, gonna get dark here soon.
Don't you just hate when you get something all typed out & then hit the escape key.

Go to the main "settings" screen, select "general", adjust "auto-lock" time to NEVAR. Go back to main "settings" screen, scroll down a bit & select the "Kitty!" icon, then enable "loop".

I'm not a big fan of roaming packs of feral dogs. My roomie in college got us permission to hunt at his grandparents' land, but the GP told us specifically that we MUST shoot any non-collared dogs. It seems to be a widespread problem here.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I'm gonna try this one first, downloading the app now, plus it'll take me two hours round-trip to get to Cabela's for a call cause I live in BF Idaho. I'll let yall know how it works.
I thought you were in Texas??

How far do you need to drive to a computer internezz connection??

Don't give me that "Not enough time" like you're going to spank all of them tonight!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #10

Because I'm in The Clubhouse and not The Bunker, I acronymed the "BF" part because this section of the forum is rated PG. I do live in Texas, but "BF Idaho" is a term commonly used for living in a remote location, Sensei.

And, even though I'm remote, I DO have an iPhone because I'm a gadget guy, as you've probably already guessed. And Cabela's in Fort Worth is an hour away...was gonna take Tango's suggestion of using a wounded rabbit call and they don't have them here in BF.

But I will persevere....them dogs will be MINE.