Wife says no to purchasing AR-15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wife says no to purchasing AR-15

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Get a Ruger Mini-14 (5.56x45) or Mini-30 (7.62x39) most of the function of an AR but in a more Wife friendly package!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #22

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Ok so I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry everyday. I spent about $500 for it with all the accessories. In order to please the wife I gave her $500 so she could go shopping. She seemed to like the idea and went with it. Now I really want to buy an AR-15 so I told her I would give her the same amount it costs me to buy it. She said no cause she doesn't want an assault rifle in the house. How can I convince her to let me get one?
Why do you want an AR-15? Is the LCP your only firearm or do you have others? Are you looking for something just to shoot for fun? Hunting? Defense? All of the above? The AR-15 fits well in the all of the above category as long as you are hunting the small stuff.

Do you live some place that is trying to ban them?

Your reason for wanting an AR-15 should be all you need to convince her to let you get one.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #23

Liked 2383 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Or you could break her in more gently to rifles.

Pretty capable package. Completely PC. you could go with a pistol caliber version in .357 or .44 if preferred.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2678 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

Graniteman,

Jim and the guys have some great ideas. Most of the problem is she has heard all the crap that the liberal anti-gun news stations have spread. So it may take a little time. As stated, explain to her they are not assault rifles in the first place as stated above. This term came as a result of those wanting to take away or Second Amendment becuase the term had a negative conotation to people who had no knowledge of what a true assault rifle was being full auto select fire. You may want to work it out where you can build one also stated above later with her help as mentioned "Great Idea! But first get her to go to the range with you under the pretence which is also a valid one, to learn how to shoot the new Ruger pistol so she will know how to handle and shoot the pistol. And she should! But go somewhere you will have access to an AR where you can first shoot it and then convince her to take a few shots. Warning! it may end up being a lot more than a few. But if she has never shot before I would suggest you put the target close enough for her to hit it every time (Building Her Confidence and sense of Accomplishment) and from resting the weapon on a bench or support. "Good" ear protection (Ear Muffs) and eye protection for her is a must especially for her being her first time to hear the report of the 223/5.56 round in the weapon! As eye and ear protection should always be worn. Then encourage her to shoot it more, while you are there telling her it is not an assault weapon at all as it has been misled to be. But simply a semi auto rifle. Let her shoot it and you will have most of the battle won. In fact you may find you have given a monster the first taste of blood and started an addiction. She may want you to buy one or make two. Most women after shooting the AR with its light recoil and accuracy learn to love the weapon. The first time I took my wife to shoot my AR in 6.5 Grendel I hardly got the gun back for me to shoot the rest of the day. This was the first AR she had ever shot and she did not only like it she was deadly with it. Third shot dead center at 100 yards all were within 3 inches of center. In fact I am building her and AR-15 for her Birthday this July is a surprise. Which while thinking, that might be another avenue for you in the future. My wife mentioned PINK Hardware in the past but I could not bring myself to do that on her new rifle. But I did find some cool looking Purple Hardware since Purple is one of her favorite color in the clothes she wears. Anyway Good Luck and use some finesse and trickery! And if worse comes to worse remember, Begging for Forgiveness is Easier than Getting Permission!!!!!!
The only negative thing I can say is something is wrong when a guy has to barter and trade to get something he wants. Obviously it has nothing to do with not affording it if it is a $500 to $500 trade. As was mentioned use caution and especialy if you do not have children at this point! I have seen this issue before and usually ended up less than good in time! Life is too short for a person to have to live that way! If you have kids well!!!!!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-30-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #25

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
in a way, i'm seeing this like Tack is. huge red flags.

a marriage is an equal partnership and it should not be about bribery or her letting you get an AR.

in my marriage, my wife doesn't let me do anything or let me buy anything. i'm an adult and capable of making adult decisions. nor do i let my wife do anything or let her buy anything, as she's an adult and my partner in this marriage. any major purchases we discuss our best options and the costs. we discuss just about everything and do what is the best interests of both of us.

IMO, no one partner should be controlling by letting the other do something or buy something. that's what you do with children, but not adults.
Bingo!

Tack
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7664 Times on 4168 Posts
Likes Given: 16065

Tell her you want a .50 BMG then compromise on the AR.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #27

Liked 3120 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 2159

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
in a way, i'm seeing this like Tack is. huge red flags.

a marriage is an equal partnership and it should not be about bribery or her letting you get an AR.

in my marriage, my wife doesn't let me do anything or let me buy anything. i'm an adult and capable of making adult decisions. nor do i let my wife do anything or let her buy anything, as she's an adult and my partner in this marriage. any major purchases we discuss our best options and the costs. we discuss just about everything and do what is the best interests of both of us.

IMO, no one partner should be controlling by letting the other do something or buy something. that's what you do with children, but not adults.
i agree, but you must remember everyone has different levels of control that they are comfortable with in a relationship. but there is almost always some level of control. i have a good bud whose wife does treat him like a kid, but he seems ok with it, and they have been married (happily? ) for years.

my lovely wife does control my firearm purchases, but not WHAT i buy...its more about HOW MUCH i spend... and she has never told me "NO," but actually has a far better method for discouraging excessive purchases. if i go "i'm gonna get X gun for 700, she just says "OK"....then i see it in her mind....what SHE can spend 700 on as well.......so my 700 gun just cost me 1400.....lmao! it really makes me consider the purchase a bit more, to prevent our family from being broke!

fair is fair!

but i completely agree, BOTH should stand their ground in a relationship. you should only control or be controlled to a level YOU are comfortable with. adults make their own decisions, as individuals or couples.

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-30-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: addition
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #28

Liked 3120 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 2159

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
Get a Ruger Mini-14 (5.56x45) or Mini-30 (7.62x39) most of the function of an AR but in a more Wife friendly package!
exactly! years later, you can tell her that you bought a gun that shoots the same round at the same rate...for a good laugh!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #29

Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD

Why do you want an AR-15? Is the LCP your only firearm or do you have others? Are you looking for something just to shoot for fun? Hunting? Defense? All of the above? The AR-15 fits well in the all of the above category as long as you are hunting the small stuff.

Do you live some place that is trying to ban them?

Your reason for wanting an AR-15 should be all you need to convince her to let you get one.
I live in Michigan so I am a custom to hunting every year. I own 2 shotguns two rifles 7mm and .243 for hunting deer in the upper peninsula. I have a small .22 rifle and another 9mm Sig Sauer 243 pistol. And plenty of ammo for everything I own. She's not anti-gun cause I carry every day and I've shown her how to use the pistol in case of emergency. I think the best idea I've gotten here is to take her shooting. I think she's got this whole liberal media crap in her head even though we are Conservative.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

My wife wasn't exactly thrilled when I brought home my AR-15. Tolerance was about the best it got. I also had to explain the whole: "Assault weapon is a made up term by politicians who hate guns spiel." Fortunately she already bought in to the "handguns actually aren't evil" theory, so she was receptive on this. While she didn't exactly love the thing, she put up with it. I think part of it wasn't so much hatred as just that it was a big unknown. The big turnaround was taking her to the range and convincing her to shoot it. She really enjoyed it once she realized that it was not really big deal. She had recently had shoulder surgery and was extremely phobic about recoil. It took a bit of convincing that it was going to be really loud (compared to a typical pistol), but recoil is a non issue. Anyway, she enjoyed it immensely. She still talks about it with her friends and family. So, I told her I'm building her one, as money frees up...and after the sequestration/furlough gets sorted.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
People Like This 
Closed Thread