Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wife says no to purchasing AR-15

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Buy a Ruger 10/22 first...

Then pick up a conversion kit...(Archangel comes to mind) and physically show her there is ZERO difference in functionality by simply swapping the stocks as she watches...

If after that, she still doesn't understand, I guess you'll just have to roll with it...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Start showing her stories of home invasions. Tell her about multiple bad guys. Also show her women and stories of women who advocate the AR. Maybe you can scare her into the gun. Or, how good are you at hiding things?-JK

Last edited by Jagermeister; 06-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Liked 1671 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I am amazed at how little importance people put on marriage. If she is already ok with a pistol in the house she must not be total anti-gun. I am the head of my household. But I value my wife's opinions. It is not my way or the highway. If she had a real fear, even if it was irrational, I would try to respect that. I would try to slowly work her though it.

JimRau...how long you been married?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6028 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 11517

If the need arises to defend my family, I want the most advanced, most reliable, highest capacity weapon available.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/770702/posts

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 06-30-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #15

Liked 4550 Times on 2200 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Ok so I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry everyday. I spent about $500 for it with all the accessories. In order to please the wife I gave her $500 so she could go shopping. She seemed to like the idea and went with it. Now I really want to buy an AR-15 so I told her I would give her the same amount it costs me to buy it. She said no cause she doesn't want an assault rifle in the house. How can I convince her to let me get one?
A healthy relationship is about two partners serving each others needs. It's not about "if you get X, I want Y."

Needing to bribe her with equal "shopping" money to "smooth over" your LCP purchase is a red flag to me.

...the old "I won't have "object X" in my home" is a command/ultimatum.

My wife tried I'd 18 years ago when I brought home my first hangun.

I told her her mother was 2 hours south and to have a nice trip.

She pouted for a few hour but didn't complain about it again.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #16

Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire
If you don't have children, cut and run. There is always a new wife with less attitude around the corner.
That's the new mentality. Just cut and run. I'm old school one life one wife. Do you think I'm perfect
Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #17

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Ok so I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry everyday. I spent about $500 for it with all the accessories. In order to please the wife I gave her $500 so she could go shopping. She seemed to like the idea and went with it. Now I really want to buy an AR-15 so I told her I would give her the same amount it costs me to buy it. She said no cause she doesn't want an assault rifle in the house. How can I convince her to let me get one?
buy a wood stock mini 14....tell her it wasn't even on the "assault ban list" and it is a much safer weapon than an AR-15.

just a thought, brother....and rememeber "happy wife, happy life..."

thanks and remember, i'm here to solve all of life's problems.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
If I were someone's wife I would say, "You buy yourself an A-15 and I demand my own." I so want an AR. And the 'badder' looking, the better.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 06-30-2013 at 03:44 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #19

Liked 855 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
JimRau...how long you been married?
10 bucks says he's divorced.....

Quote:
Start showing her stories of home invasions. Tell her about multiple bad guys. Also show her women and stories of women who advocate the AR. Maybe you can scare her into the gun. Or, how good are you at hiding things?-JK
More than one bad idea there.....IMHO

I think the best idea someone mentioned is to take her shooting and see what happens, but don't push. Start with a 22. If she allows a gun in the house now, you're not starting from square one.
My wife is fairly anti gun. She does allow any gun I want in the house, but complains if they're left out, and makes it clear she doesn't like them. BUT, she will come shooting. Not often, but when she does, she seems to have fun. Every time I go, I make it a point to invite her. But I also make it clear that if she doesn't want to go, that's cool. Guy time is good, too.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19879 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50117

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
A healthy relationship is about two partners serving each others needs. It's not about "if you get X, I want Y."

Needing to bribe her with equal "shopping" money to "smooth over" your LCP purchase is a red flag to me.

...the old "I won't have "object X" in my home" is a command/ultimatum.

My wife tried I'd 18 years ago when I brought home my first hangun.

I told her her mother was 2 hours south and to have a nice trip.

She pouted for a few hour but didn't complain about it again.

Tack
in a way, i'm seeing this like Tack is. huge red flags.

a marriage is an equal partnership and it should not be about bribery or her letting you get an AR.

in my marriage, my wife doesn't let me do anything or let me buy anything. i'm an adult and capable of making adult decisions. nor do i let my wife do anything or let her buy anything, as she's an adult and my partner in this marriage. any major purchases we discuss our best options and the costs. we discuss just about everything and do what is the best interests of both of us.

IMO, no one partner should be controlling by letting the other do something or buy something. that's what you do with children, but not adults.
Closed Thread