Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wife says no to purchasing AR-15

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #131
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I'm with Dan on this one. If it is really that big of a deal to you to have one, and finances are good, then buy it and try to explain yourself the best you can. I still have an AR that my wife don't know about. In marriage it is important to respect each other but at the same time to accept each others strongest wishes and desires. She should trust you to make a smart decision as the man of the house.

Oh and BTW, I recently got married myself and I know what you are going through.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #132
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I would try a compromise,, perhaps a Mini-14 would cause less derision in the household, seems like she has to get over the tv news hype and get more info,, I agree Winds,,, my wife had some bias thrown at her when she first started shooting trap,,, some of the old boys club type shooters , kind of looked down their nose at her,, she kept going to the clubs and shooting at ATA shoots, and showed more than one of them she could hold her own.
Now many of the same fellows have seen her improvement and how much she enjoys the game and have actually become very supportive. It does seem that some men have a hard time accepting women shooters, which is a big detriment for the shooting sports and for political issues as well, in my opinion. No I don't shoot trap,, bores the crap out of me, but it is good to get your eye ready for pheasant hunting.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #133

Liked 244 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Ok so I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry everyday. I spent about $500 for it with all the accessories. In order to please the wife I gave her $500 so she could go shopping. She seemed to like the idea and went with it. Now I really want to buy an AR-15 so I told her I would give her the same amount it costs me to buy it. She said no cause she doesn't want an assault rifle in the house. How can I convince her to let me get one?
It's always easier to ask for forgiveness rather then permission. Man I but guns all the time and have never given my s.o. The same amount that I spend

Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #134

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
My wife had a similar issue. We had completed our shooting class at the local police training facility and were in our backyard practicing when the rear sight of here Glock 21 just fell off! So she looks up the local Glock armorer (there was only one - it was a small town) and takes it in. She explains to the ZZ Top-bearded guy behind the counter what happened and asks if he can replace it. He stares at her a minute, then he offers, "Maybe you should have your husband bring in his own gun." This was her gun, registered to, shot, cleaned and carried by her! She read him the riot act and left, eventually sending the slide to Glock for repair. Not only did he blow that sale, my wife told EVERYONE that she met what a mysoginist he was and she railed against anyone buying anything from his shop. She was probably personally responsible for about $25,000 of lost sales to his store.
Good for her!! My wife would have done the same thing ...

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #135
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1155 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I shouldn't see stories like this. I am trying to get over the feeling that very often women are "victims" simply because we're women. What would make an encounter like that even worse for me is I don't even HAVE a husband.
Winds, progress has been made. but I don't know that we will ever be completely rid of chauvinists. The best thing you can do is stand straight up to the guy and tell him you can out-shoot him and your more of a man than he'll ever be!

The confusion on his face will be priceless.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #136
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6151 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 7028

Quote:
Winds, progress has been made. but I don't know that we will ever be completely rid of chauvinists. The best thing you can do is stand straight up to the guy and tell him you can out-shoot him and your more of a man than he'll ever be!

The confusion on his face will be priceless.
Good point. But I would much rather make it clear I don't have to be a man to be better than him. And yeah, maybe I can out shoot him.
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #137

Liked 51 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The question to ask yourself is why did you post this? The most likely answer is that you wanted us to talk you into it. Although this has turned into a, Ralph Kramden king of the castle thread, the only person who can affect the change you want is you.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #138
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2295 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Tell her you are going to use it in a 3 gun competition.

Then do it (shoot in the competition, that is)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #139
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5691 Times on 3341 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Once again my lack of a spouse seems like an even bigger WIN.

Buy it and store it at a gun club or in a safe/lockbox ; tell her the best you can do is not have it out inside your MUTUAL home and that you will promise never to force feed her any of the squirrels you take with it or to defend her against home invaders with it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #140

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
My wife had a similar issue. We had completed our shooting class at the local police training facility and were in our backyard practicing when the rear sight of here Glock 21 just fell off! So she looks up the local Glock armorer (there was only one - it was a small town) and takes it in. She explains to the ZZ Top-bearded guy behind the counter what happened and asks if he can replace it. He stares at her a minute, then he offers, "Maybe you should have your husband bring in his own gun." This was her gun, registered to, shot, cleaned and carried by her! She read him the riot act and left, eventually sending the slide to Glock for repair. Not only did he blow that sale, my wife told EVERYONE that she met what a mysoginist he was and she railed against anyone buying anything from his shop. She was probably personally responsible for about $25,000 of lost sales to his store.
Hilarious..Bet that guy is wondering wher4e3 his sales went to. Maybe he should send his wife to figure it out.

My wife would have probably did the same with the addition of the comment "you had a big old bowl of dumba$$ flakes today eh?". Then cut his Billy Gibbins beard off with a not too sharp knife (yes...she's mean like that when provoked!).

He was probably pissed because he gets outshot by women a lot or something.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Closed Thread