Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Wife says no to purchasing AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/wife-says-no-purchasing-ar-15-a-93148/)

Graniteman 06-30-2013 02:34 PM

Wife says no to purchasing AR-15

Ok so I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry everyday. I spent about $500 for it with all the accessories. In order to please the wife I gave her $500 so she could go shopping. She seemed to like the idea and went with it. Now I really want to buy an AR-15 so I told her I would give her the same amount it costs me to buy it. She said no cause she doesn't want an assault rifle in the house. How can I convince her to let me get one?

JimRau 06-30-2013 02:41 PM

Prejudice runs deep and it is really hard to overcome. It is based on ignorance(progressive indoctrination). Good luck, you will need it!:(
If it helps, I am a LEO with 30+ years experience and I think it is wise to acquire a semi-auto rifle to protect your home and family. Just the responsible thing to do. You do not need an 'assault rifle', but they were basically outlawed in the 1930's (assault rifles have the select fire option, full auto)!!!;)
Welcome to the site. Stick around and you will learn a lot.:)

Rick1967 06-30-2013 02:43 PM

I have an AR15 that I built myself. I also have a wife. If I had to pick one...I'd be keeping the wife.

There are guns in every gun store, sporting goods store, and pawn shop. But a good woman...a truly good woman... is hard to find.

Does the wife shoot? If not, invite her to the range to shoot some 22s. Warm her up to it slowly. Maybe work on her over time.

JimRau 06-30-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1291168)
I have an AR15 that I built myself. I also have a wife. If I had to pick one...I'd be keeping the wife.

There are guns in every gun store, sporting goods store, and pawn shop. But a good woman...a truly good woman... is hard to find.

Does the wife shoot? If not, invite her to the range to shoot some 22s. Warm her up to it slowly. Maybe work on her over time.

A 'good women' would not give her husband this type ultimatum, she would trust his judgment!!!:(

Flat Tire 06-30-2013 02:50 PM

If you don't have children, cut and run. There is always a new wife with less attitude around the corner.

SSGN_Doc 06-30-2013 02:50 PM

Wrong section to post in.

You may not be able to convince her, since she has already bought into the brainwashing scare tactics of the misuse of the word assault rifle.

It's a semi-auto, not capable of select fire. It is no more dangerous than any rifle. Does she think it will jump out of the house and go on a killing spree on its own? It's another machine made out of plastic and metal. It has no will of its own.

But if here fear is irrational, trying to rationalize may not work.

Are you sure she has no concern about the double financial whammy of your proposal to basically spend double in your quest to own an AR. What was your proposed spending budget once it was fully outfitted and you stocked up on ammo. Some folks can spend close to $2000 once they include accessories, sights, optics, mags, ammo, etc. she may not like the idea of a $4000 hit to the household budget if you both spend $2000. The equal spending strategy can get couples into deep debt pretty fast.

Gizord1 06-30-2013 02:56 PM

Let her shoot one!

She'll realize it's actually fun, and not some evil, black killing machine spawned from hell.

Zombiegirl 06-30-2013 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Show her this...... My daughter shooting ours.....

Attachment 108281

JimRau 06-30-2013 02:59 PM

My 11 year old grandson could not get enough of my AR!:)

ALfiremedic1 06-30-2013 03:01 PM

Well if she is against it, tell her your going to start building one and involved her in the process. In the meantime educate her about them. Yes a good woman is hard to find. I had to wait 3 years before my wife was comfortable enough to have a gun in the house. If she already is comfortable, just Give her time. She will come around