why will the SHTF?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > why will the SHTF?

View Poll Results: Reason for SHTF:
Major earthquake 1 3.85%
Other natural disaster 3 11.54%
Terrorist attack 8 30.77%
Economic collapse 10 38.46%
Government excess/Revolution 8 30.77%
Nuclear attack 4 15.38%
Chemical/biological attack 4 15.38%
Other act of war 2 7.69%
Ecological crisis (e.g. lack of water) 3 11.54%
Other 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default why will the SHTF?

What do you think is the most likely spark for a breakdown of civilization in the U.S.?

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 AM   #2

Default Some major attack on the East Coast

Once the infrastructure is damaged, many New York, New Jersey and Maryland residents will be fleeing. Some will go north, but most will flee to the mountains of Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

If the attack(s) were centered on the financial areas, especially where credit cards are electronically processed, MOST of these refugees will flee with the clothes on their back, no cash and completely panicked. It is entirely possible that some of them may be contaminated by whatever the bad guys used in the attack ( think dirty bomb or biological agent ).

Once these unprepared sheeple stampede, look for martial law.

Then it will get REALLY interesting.

Put your food, water and ammo away for that rainy day, my friends.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #3

Default Start stashing essentials now

Like before Y2K, start stashing essentials now while you can, food with shelf life, water, liuquor (if you drink, for barter of you don't), Guns, of course and as much gun fodder (ammo) as you can either buy or reload, and reloading supplies for once the ammo runs out.
Plan a bugout scheme with close friends or relatives of like mind, and have a place to retreat to in a real bind, don't head out aimlessly like the people of Jerico.
Have 2 way radios, phones won't work for long, have gasoline, it will store over 2 years using stabil, kerosene for heating or cooking, have some camping items handy.
Now just sit back and pray yopu nnever have to use any of it, prayer, especially concentrated effort by many, can & does change the course of events.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

We have reached an interesting moment. Should there be a terror attack that dwarfs 9/11 -- say, exactly like what terror groups are promising: a simultaneous attack in many cities designed to kill hundreds of thousands of people -- we can count on immediate chaos. People will be leaving large cities out of fear they may be next. allmons covered that pretty well.

Our government may well engage in a firearm confiscation effort nationwide. It may also try to force people to leave their homes or other areas. These things happened on a small scale in New Orleans; there is no reason to believe they couldn't happen on a very large scale given a worse disaster.

How long it takes for the chaos to subside will depend on the circumstances and whether or not we have the collective balls to name our enemy and fight him.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
What do you think is the most likely spark for a breakdown of civilization in the U.S.?
Politicians.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=allmons;7081]Once the infrastructure is damaged, many New York, New Jersey and Maryland residents will be fleeing. Some will go north, but most will flee to the mountains of Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia"

North..OK. South..bite your tongue!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default why will the SHTF?

I think a lot of those catagories can be combined, so it was difficult for me to select just one. My greatest fear for our country is not necessarily my greatest fear locally. Locally, I fear earthquake & vulcano. I live near Mt. St. Helens, but at least we are mostly up-wind.

Nationally, A terror attack on the financial district of Manhattan, especially using WMDs, could cause all of the other things to happen as well.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 AM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

My picks:

1. Disease
2. Revolution/Government Excess
3. Civil War

Old 08-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
My picks:

1. Disease
2. Revolution/Government Excess
3. Civil War
Would these be spontaneous events with no catalyst? I can see economic collapse, government excess/revolution/civil war coming about by a catalyst like a nuke/chem/bio attack or other act of war. Infrastructure shutting down -- no clean water, questionable food, hospitals closed, etc. could lead to epidemics.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 AM   #10
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I think a major flu pandemic or plague would shut down America. People would stop going to work, things would slowly shut down and chaos would ensue. That seems most likely. Then revolution from a tyrant President then economic collapse. Doesn't have to be an attack to cause it, could be just another depression from a multitude of ordinary things.