Why are Salesmen so Stupid ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why are Salesmen so Stupid ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why are Salesmen so Stupid ?

Sitting in my room this evening on the computer when I hear my dog going nuts at the front of the house , not just barking but snarling and growling which usually means a kids friend has shown up with one of their friends in tow the dog doesn't know .

Well after about two minutes he is still at it which under the normal circumstances above he shuts up once they are let in by one of my kids or at least he quiets down to a low rumble , so I get up and go in there and I find my daughter holding him by his collar with the door open and him lunging at the screen door and making slight progress with each lunge .

I get around behind my daughter and the dog so I can see who's at the door and and I see a well dressed young man and the dog senses me and lowers the sound of his growling but not stopping it or his lunging at the guy .

I can finally understand what is being said and realize the dummy is from the cable company trying to get us to sign up for their Internet and TV service "We have DSL and Dish TV" and my daughter is reluctantly playing 20 questions with him as the dog is slowly dragging her closer to the moron .

Our storm door doesn't have screen it's all glass so he is holding the door open to talk to my daughter so the dog can most certainly get to him if he pulls loose from her and with him being about a 90LB animal you would think the fool would be a bit concerned for his safety but no not at all .

I had to step up grab the dog and as he's asking another question cut him off and tell him we weren't interested and slam the door in his face to get the tard to leave .

Then my daughter looks at me and says she told him that at the start but he just ignores her and keeps on talking , Don't know how many times I've told her she doesn't have to be polite to strangers at the door and to slam it in their faces and you're not even obligated to answer it in the first place , I swear it's a female thing .

I don't know what these kids get paid but it can't be enough nor come with health insurance and with a dog that large snarling and lunging for you , one would think a little light would come on and he would go to another home .

What really burns my butt if the dog had bitten him I bet I would get tagged with a doctor bill when the little jerk wasn't invited on the property and obviously had plenty of warning to leave .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If this guy were smarter, do you think he'd be going door-to-door annoying people with his sales pitch?

Sales weenies in electronics stores and big home improvement stores are usually just as useless. They take up space and give you a blank stare when you ask them a question they should be able to answer....

Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
If this guy were smarter, do you think he'd be going door-to-door annoying people with his sales pitch?

Sales weenies in electronics stores and big home improvement stores are usually just as useless. They take up space and give you a blank stare when you ask them a question they should be able to answer....

What more needs to be said.

I will say one thing. When I was working at Home Depot I was not useless. I would do what ever it took to help the customer. I was about the only one doing this in my store and they wonder why business dropped by 40% the year before when Lowes opened down the street.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #4

Just a side note---home invaders/scammers sometimes dress up as someone from a company, so please be very careful.

When I was in college, my close friend and her roomates were attacked and robbed. They were living in an apartment building (known college student rental place--so good target for scammers).

They had a knock at the door one day, and a man in coveralls and cap with clipboard said there was a gas leak. He claimed to be from the company, and said he needed to check their apartment to see if it was there. They let him in and walked away--never once thinking he could be dangerous.

He walked into the kitchen, grabbed a kitchen knife from the counter, and then attacked them. He tied them up, and proceeded to ransack the place.

The good news--aside from being severely traumatized, and sporting some nasty brusies and scrapes,they were not seriously harmed. He did however get away with their cash, passports and other valuable items.

The three college girls were an easy mark, and they did not stop to question him further. My first question to my friend (when she was calm enough a few days later so that I could chastize her) was WHY you let someone in who was checking the gas--when you have radiators and OIL heat???

Come to find out, this was not the first time this had happened in their area, although to my knowledge this scum was never caught.

My husband works for a utility company. They are required to carry and SHOW their ID.

Anyway, did not want to hijack your thread. I just wanted to share some info which might be important to someone later. ALWAYS ask for ID, and never assume a person is from wherever. Its easy to fool people.....and I would rather accidentally be rude to someone, then find myself being the victim of a crime.

And--a person who does not at least keep a safe distance from barking dog, sets off a bell in my head. There are evil people in this world--never be complacent....

Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #5

oh, I forgot to add--also be very aware of social phishing.

This is an easy way for scammers to get important information fom you without you knowing.

Example--said "salesman".

Well--we can come anytime to install between 9 am and 3 pm M-F
Response: we would not be available, we both work.
salesman: we could offer you a package for HD TV and special meg million connections...
response-we already have a big screen HD--so no, we dont want all that.

You just told him that you are not home during the day, and have a big screen tv/expense equipment. Its not your SSN, but if this is a career thief, you just invited him to steal your stuff.

This happens--so be careful.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Dogs have an inate ability to sniff out evil doers. Trust the dog and send the salesman packing. Teach the kids to trust the dog. In most states you are responsible for injury caused by your animal that is not restrained. If the dog had gotten away from your daughter and bitten the guy, you would pay (in more ways than one). Even if the dog is chained or fenced and breaks away from the restraint, you are liable. If the guy cam in uninvited and got bitten, he is on his own (generally speaking).

Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

Thanks Musket thats exactly the kind of info that always needs to be posted for a thread like this .

Just a FYI I know all that and have tried to impress it upon her and the boys , the only thing I can figure is they perhaps have a false sense of security with the dog and guns we have and everyone including her knowing how to use them .

I've managed to raise them in a far better neighborhood than I spent my first 10 years of life in and not seeing and experiencing crime I suppose makes a person live in a state of disbelief to a certain degree .

Robo one question will posting a No tresspassing sign help as a defense in a case like this if the dog had gotten away and attacked him on the porch .

I had been told many years ago it would but laws may have changed since then .

Honestly I think something is seriously wrong when a criminal casing homes could take a job like this just to gather information on them and just waltz on your property anytime they please even ignoring No Tresspassing and No soliciting Signs .

After all how many Police will even check into a bite victims story of being a legit saleman as he is considered a victim at that point .

Old 08-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #8

How would you find out the law in a case like this? To my knowledge, asking a lawyer can be expensive since they tend to value their time at over $200 an hour.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Salesmen------ignorance and stupidity

Politicians----------dishonesty and arrogance

It's genetic. They can't help it, they were born that way. They do tend to inter-breed,
so the qualities sometimes blend.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Salesmen------ignorance and stupidity

Politicians----------dishonesty and arrogance

It's genetic. They can't help it, they were born that way. They do tend to inter-breed,
so the qualities sometimes blend.
Consumer---------???????

Electorate---------???????

(Just sayin')