Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > why live where you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Native of Virginia- bounced around many places, wound up back here. If you stay away from the Beltway and large urban areas, it's pretty good.

But when I retire for good, I am looking at Belize. Buy a 48 ft motor/sailer, and become a gun runner.

Got a reckless driving for speeding on the interstate. The same as a DUI. Had to pay a lawyer to get the charge dropped to 'faulty equipment'. Whatever that means. The lawyer and the new charge (no points on my license) was cheaper than the $600 ticket I originally incurred. That's enough to keep me away from VA.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #12

Liked 407 Times on 223 Posts

Arkansas is where I'm at and it's not to bad if u find the right place to call home. There aren't many jobs but I have been lucky to have the same job for 9 years and my wife has been with hers for 8 now. We live in town and it's not to bad, we found a older house with a large lot and it's all older couples in our area. There is a shoot ing range 1.5 miles from the house. The crime rate has really gone up here in the last 3 years but I think that's everywhere. There is a large lake I fish on a lot, it takes me about 10 min to load the boat and be fishing. Im gonna call this place home till the work runs out or something better comes along.

play the victim, be the victim

Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Try Arizona Very gun friendly, I can drive 5 minutes and shoot anything from .22 through 30-06. no hassle over concealed carry.

I live on an airfield and my airplane is only 20 feet from my house.

No snow in the Winter. Nice and warm in the Summer.

Nights are nice and quiet and you can actually see the Milky Way.

Cheers:

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've met quite a few people from all over the country between being involved with firearms, classic cars, and vintage emergency vehicles over the years. By that, I've learned a lot about the nuts & bolts of living in various areas where they reside. That being said, it's pretty decent here in Western Pennsylvania where we reside.

I was raised in Pittsburgh, a liveable city if you want to live urban. It has it's shortcomings for sure like any city, but it has a lot going for it all the same. The yearly good hits in the "Most liveable city" ratings bear this out.

Now, we live in a rural area north of the city about 40 miles. The general climate to live is excellent. Property is reasonable whether suburban or rural (Western PA. as a whole dodged the housing bubble to a significant degree. The median prices have always been to the lower side), taxes are low, crime where we live especially is virtually non existant (more existant the more suburban or urban the area gets. Still, the statistics aren't terrible by any means), the public schools are decent especially in comparison to in the cities, the business climate is great especially for small businesses (I only had to get my sales tax papers to open the home based FFL in my township. No mercantile licenses, etc.), and the people are generally good neighbors. Our county in particular has always been conservative leaning and that political leaning has only solidified over the last couple of years. Our county also has the distinction of recently being called with one of lowest unemployment rates in the nation. We have an increasing amount of Marcellus Shale operations right here and this is contributing to the growth of decent paying long term jobs. The financial benefits to landowners doesn't exactly suck either. Leases were being bought to drill for $3500/acre in 2011. That doesn't even count royalties if they drill and hit.

Yeah, from what I've seen and heard over the years from others elsewhere, it's not bad at all right here. If you don't mind the 4 seasons, and winters are rarely severe, this isn't a bad place to live at all.

And, yeah, we're the ones that cling to our guns and bibles. And we're damn proud of it, too!

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 01-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #15

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I live where I live due to money reasons, I really have no control the good thing is the place where I go shooting is only two miles down the road from my current home. If I could live anywhere it would be out in BF Egypt far away from all the stupid (can't use the correct words) people that live around me at this point, some place where I can shoot my guns when I please someplace I can hunt fish and get drunk and not worry about getting arrested for public intoxication.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #16

After retiring from the Army, we moved back home to upstate South Carolina, but only because the wife's Grandma gave us 32 acres free and clear. Gun laws here are pretty far and few between, CCW is easy to get, and the economy isn't too bad. But honestly I wanted to move out west like western Montana or Wyoming. There's too many people around here for my tastes. Especially unemployed lower class from Massachusetts that come South and get uppity. Tired of all the stupid people around here. I like SC, it's home, but I want less people around me.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2068 Times on 1123 Posts
Likes Given: 747

I moved back here to the are because of a job in 95 then met my wife. Davenport is now the city where I have lived the longest period of time. She's not too keen on moving, but I would love to convince her someday of moving to Florida (where I lived the longest other than this area).

AZ would be good as well, but she's convinced nothing grows there. She's a very serious gardner.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #18

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lived in the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia for many years where I had a very well paying job with a government contractor as a Senior Electronic Technician. I made a mistake (realized after the fact) by accepting a Field Engineering job in Kuwait for a year. Biggest farce I ever dealt with. Upon returning to the states, the company said I couldn't go back to being a technician, and by that time the gun-grabbers had bolloxed too many things up so I packed up and moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. I like keeping the 17% or so that the Peoples' Яepublik took from my check by the way of state taxes. Nevada is gun friendly, it's relatively easy to get a CCW (concealed carry license), open carry is legal and I have yet another government contractor job which also pays very well. Unfortunately for too many people, the job market here isn't as good after the economic crash so those moving here now don't have the choices I did in 1999.

And, in 2017 when I retire, I'm pulling up stakes and moving to eastern Texas. That is my retirement destination.......

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
CGO

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 47

We have been living in OK for almost 7 years now. Moved from CA because we were getting suffocated by all the bullchit there. It was hard at first for me living right in the middle of 25 acres in the country because I was a city girl. I don't like the harsh winters here at all and I flip out when we get tornado warnings. But I survived it so far. One thing I have learned about myself living here is that I am much stronger than I thought I was. Country living makes you stronger. And I sure like the peace and quiet....

Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2068 Times on 1123 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGO View Post
We have been living in OK for almost 7 years now... I don't like the harsh winters here at all ....
Harsh winters???

Wow, you really are soft if you think OK has harsh winters.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA