Why I own a German Sheperd Dog - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why I own a German Sheperd Dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLKmiester View Post
Thanks. I have a kong ball that I put treats and peanut butter in. I also play frisbee with her a lot. She has a very high drive and it's about impossible to wear her out. Lol.
Dude. It's like you are talking about puppy sitting my dog over there.

Fiona, my girl, will run after the tennis ball until she falls over from sheer exhaustion. I am almost positive. I give up throwing LONG before she gives up running.

Try freezing the Kong with the peanut butter inside, it's a great time.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

Dude. It's like you are talking about puppy sitting my dog over there.

Fiona, my girl, will run after the tennis ball until she falls over from sheer exhaustion. I am almost positive. I give up throwing LONG before she gives up running.

Try freezing the Kong with the peanut butter inside, it's a great time.
Lol. I will freeze our kong for the next time we leave.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #13

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

A friend's neighbor years ago had an Akita. This beast was 145 pounds of solid muscle. The dog was so loyal to this guy that while he was gone on an extended business trip, the dog was almost physically sick. When he got home, the dog pinned him to the ground and wouldn't let him up until the next morning (not in an aggressive manner, just love).

When we would go across the street to visit the dog would constantly be eye balling us and we knew the dog pretty well. When his small kids were out front the dog was out of his mind trying to keep track of them and watch us. When you threw people the dog didn't know into that mix, let's just say the strangers had a 145 pound shadow that never left their side while keeping a very intent gaze on us. I love my Boxers and they are wonderful and loyal but they were nowhere near that dog in terms of loyalty.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Thanks guys. Mine loves laying on me too. Any tips for a first time GSD owner?
Think about what you teach them while they are little!

My female loved to put her head between my legs while I scratched her back when she was a puppy, now at 115# and a lot taller her head is right in your crotch

She still wants to sit in my recliner with me and stretch out and get her belly rubbed even if it kills me.

Other than the shedding they are the greatest dogs I have ever had, before it was always Dobies which are great too. I just like the way the GSD carries herself and the way she stands between me and anyone coming into the house or shop.

I use a tennis racket to knock balls across the pasture and she hates it when I make her wait for a few minutes to go get it. Teach them to "Front" come to you and sit or they may chase a deer into the woods or someone off the property and out into the street.

Ours knows voice commands, hand signals, and a few commands in sign language which is probably just hand signals to her. She knows right from left, watch (which we use for something we do not want moved), front (universal come back to me command), to wipe her paws after she has been potty, to pick up her toys and put them back in the basket, to go potty out in the woods, the boundaries of our yard, to get into her crate when it is bed time even though we leave the door open. Plus so much more.
dscn1204.jpg  

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by levelcross; 09-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Oh yea the shedding. Twice a year like clockwork, june and december. I have brushed and brushed, taken him to the carwash vacuum but what works best is the leaf blower. I am careful of the air getting in his ears or face. He seems to like it.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #16

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Thanks guys. Mine loves laying on me too. Any tips for a first time GSD owner?
Be firm and fair. I would also recommend picking up a few ebooks. One is called "a hundred and one words to teach your dog." The writer is absolutely brilliant and has several different books out there that are worth picking up. But I cant remember her name.

That story is amazing. And just goes to show ya a few things if you are willing to listen.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #17

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Lol. I will freeze our kong for the next time we leave.
There are sprays that you can get for kong toys at the petstore including some natural type peanutbutter. The price isnt any higher than what you would buy for yourself.

Dogs do love peanut butter, but there are a lot of additives in human peanut butter that can really disagree with some dogs, not to mention the high fat content.

There also sell a Kong variant that looks like a jack. Two of the six legs are hollowed out wide so you can fill and freeze with paste, and the other four have little lips on the ends so you can shove hard dog treats inside of them. It gives them something to do, and keeps their mind active as they have to think to figure out how to get the treats out.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. I've had dogs my entire life, my mom is a Golden Retriever breeder. This isn't my first puppy, just my first GSD. I've been through puppy kindergarten and trained two Goldens for 4-h. I have most of the basics down. I would really like to work on some scent training when she is ready. Has anyone ever done this?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLKmiester
Thanks for all the tips. I've had dogs my entire life, my mom is a Golden Retriever breeder. This isn't my first puppy, just my first GSD. I've been through puppy kindergarten and trained two Goldens for 4-h. I have most of the basics down. I would really like to work on some scent training when she is ready. Has anyone ever done this?
I have though not in a formal setting. Start out with the dogs"person". Have them sit, stick that persons hand in front of her nose. Tell her to smell then have that person walk into the other room. When found praise profoundly. There are atleast two different methods of reward, play or treat. Praise is enough with my dog. From that, make things more difficult in all areas of the exercise. Cover her eyes, make the search longer until finially you are covering acres. Thats just how I did it. Now nieghborhood kids ask if they can hide from otto when we are on walks. So much so that now our walks are at 430 am.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 418 Posts

Simple test to see who loves you more, your dog or your wife :

Lock them both in the trunk of your car for an hour and see who kisses you first when you let them out...