Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why I own a German Sheperd Dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

My sheperd is six years old now, they typically live 8-12 years. I have often wondered about getting another type of dog when time comes, maybe a Rottwieller. After reading this story it made me think about how loyal "Otto" is. There just is nothing he wants more than to be with me and please me. I know those traits run thru the canine family but I believe sheperds exhibit these traits to a higher level. I don't think I will ever own another type of dog.

Please read this amazing story, a dog is mans best friend.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/09/loyal-dog-spends-six-years-at-masters-grave/

NEVER FORGET

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have two Germans that I rave about constantly. I have been around a lot of smart and loyal dogs but there is something about my big guy that just makes me feel like he knows exactly when I need a hug and exactly when I need to be left alone. The connection is just amazing and when I am away on trips, and call for facetime with the gal, he always jumps up in the chair or starts talking so he can see me on the screen and I can see him.

Great story!! Feel good post of the week right there.

JD

Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just rescued a GSD puppy mix from the local pound. I've had Golden Retrievers my whole life and this dog is different. I thought my Goldens were smart, but this pup blows them away. She learns commands after just a couple tries and just wants to please me. She hates when I leave for work and has to be in the same room as me.

I know there not the best pics, but any ideas on what she is mixed with?

image-3244760688.jpg   image-3523189045.jpg   image-2270934571.jpg  

Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLKmiester
I just rescued a GSD puppy mix from the local pound. I've had Golden Retrievers my whole life and this dog is different. I thought my Goldens were smart, but this pup blows them away. She learns commands after just a couple tries and just wants to please me. She hates when I leave for work and has to be in the same room as me.

I know there not the best pics, but any ideas on what she is mixed with?
I would say she is mixed with a border collie or some other hearding breed. If that is the case, you have a very smart dog. Cute dog.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

I don't know man, here is a shot of my girl at about 4 or 5 weeks and she looks EXACTLY like that last shot of your girl today.

I can echo what you are saying about the girl though. She HAS to be near me when I am home, a lot of times just trying to climb up in the Lazy-Boy with me or lie on my pillow in bed. She is just a huge love bug and wants to snuggle all the time.

Beautiful rescue dog!

fiona-1.jpg  

Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

I had read that female sheperds are more protective of their people generally than males. That males are more protective of property and space than females. I've never had a female sheperd so I can't draw any comparison. Like most things I would think it depends on the dog and the threat.

NEVER FORGET

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys. Mine loves laying on me too. Any tips for a first time GSD owner?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I had read that female sheperds are more protective of their people generally than males. That males are more protective of property and space than females. I've never had a female sheperd so I can't draw any comparison. Like most things I would think it depends on the dog and the threat.
I can back that up with a definite yes. When there is a threat, the big guy goes to the door, or the side of the fence, and the girl always checks on us to see where we are and then goes to back up the big guy.

When the UPS guy would come, he no longer rings the bell, the male will go bananas trying to get through the door, but the girl stands back and barks, like a second line of defense.

The girl is definitely more lovey and wants to please. Dooesn't matter what it is, eating her food, or coming when I call her name, or just sitting when I tell her too, it's almost as if you can see the smile on her face and he tail is going 10,000 miles an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLKmiester View Post
Thanks guys. Mine loves laying on me too. Any tips for a first time GSD owner?
They are smart dogs, so don't leave them to their own devices. We found that out the hard way.

Lots of chase the ball, or better hide the ball or some treats and make them sniff them out. They LOVE hide the treat. Also you can get these triangle shaped toys called Kong and fill the inside with peanut butter, then freeze them over night. When you leave, give them a frozen Kong and they will work at it and bat it around and pounce on it to get the peanut butter to break up. It's awesome to watch, funny as hell, but it keeps them occupied.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

Spend 20 minutes a day on training. Like jd said, keep them busy. Make them use their nose.

NEVER FORGET

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

I can back that up with a definite yes. When there is a threat, the big guy goes to the door, or the side of the fence, and the girl always checks on us to see where we are and then goes to back up the big guy.

When the UPS guy would come, he no longer rings the bell, the male will go bananas trying to get through the door, but the girl stands back and barks, like a second line of defense.

The girl is definitely more lovey and wants to please. Dooesn't matter what it is, eating her food, or coming when I call her name, or just sitting when I tell her too, it's almost as if you can see the smile on her face and he tail is going 10,000 miles an hour.

They are smart dogs, so don't leave them to their own devices. We found that out the hard way.

Lots of chase the ball, or better hide the ball or some treats and make them sniff them out. They LOVE hide the treat. Also you can get these triangle shaped toys called Kong and fill the inside with peanut butter, then freeze them over night. When you leave, give them a frozen Kong and they will work at it and bat it around and pounce on it to get the peanut butter to break up. It's awesome to watch, funny as hell, but it keeps them occupied.
Thanks. I have a kong ball that I put treats and peanut butter in. I also play frisbee with her a lot. She has a very high drive and it's about impossible to wear her out. Lol.