Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why I Love My Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why I Love My Range

The range I go to is in rural Parker County, Texas. The dues are $70.00 a year. For that, you get a key to the gate, an ID tag, and access to the range 363 days a year from dawn to dusk. When you get to the gate, you unlock it, drive your vehicle through, sign the sign-in sheet that sits in an old mailbox, then lock the gate back up behind you. If you're the first one there that day, you raise the red flag on its pole so others will know that there's someone there shooting.

It's nothing fancy. The target stands are sections of pine 2" x 2" that you stick into sections of PVC that have been sunk into the ground vertically, that is if the supports haven't been all shot up by some ninja. Most of the pipes are filled up with mud. The range is self-policing, and the upkeep is done by the membership through their quarterly "work days." It's kind of a dump....it's wonderful, and I love it.

I try to get there on weekdays when I can. The ninjas come out on the weekend, even in little ole Poolville, Texas. Ninjas on the weekends.....and the shooters on the weekdays.

By shooters, I mean the old boys who are retired (many retired military) who just love to meet the other old boys out there and talk about their loads, their rifles, and their favorite stories.

So on the rare occasion that I don't have to work on a weekday, I know where I'll be....with these guys. They welcome me like I've never been a stranger, I listen to them, learn from them, split a sandwich with them, bum a Coke from them, have a dip with them....it's what life is all about.

I'm going be moving soon to another part of Texas, far away from the Parker County Sportsman Club......God I'm going to miss weekdays at that place.

I hope that you are blessed to have this kind of experience some day. I wouldn't trade it for a week at Thunder Ranch.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Here's hoping you find a harmonious new range in your new neighborhood. Maybe one of the old guys can point you in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
By shooters, I mean the old boys who are retired (many retired military) who just love to meet the other old boys out there and talk about their loads, their rifles, and their favorite stories.
That is the one thing lacking at my usual shooting spot that i really feel deprived of, smart people to ask questions of or observe. OK, it would be nice if it was less muddiness-prone too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8387 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Yep- that's my kinda place. Our range is 365 days, 9AM to dusk- full auto Sat afternoons. Sign in down at the gunsmith's shop, and pick your range (4 plus trap). $100/ yr, kids & spouses $15. Friendly shooters who, if you stop to admire a gun are likely to ask you to try it. Targets go on the plywood backing (pick up a stapler at the shop) and if you don't reload, sweep the brass off line line.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lon and C3, both of your ranges sound like heaven. I'm joining a club next month. I hope my experiences are similar. I know they host a lot of IDPA shoots...

Old 06-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Dam that sounds nice. I get Ninjas all day everyday and most have badges . Our range is 100 yards first in raises the red flag and last out lowers the flag.

We can only shoot paper targets nothing else. I have been bugging them to put in some steel on the pistol range but they will not do it. I am the range chairman and I am supposed to do upkeep but even though I can run D8 dozers, 345 track hoes 621 pans, and many other pieces of heavy equipment I am not qualified to run a effing riding lawn mower. We have to shut down the rifle range for deer season. I am not allowed to bring a guest no matter what unless I am going to pay to shoot my shotgun. Which I haven't done for over 3 years because they want to charge people to shoot at the club we pay to belong to. I am about 2 steps from leaving the club and joining the Quantico shooting club where I can shoot out to 1000 yards. To many people set out 50 targets and spend 5 hours shooting them with out stopping and if you want to stop and go check your target it is a big deal and they get all huffy like a 13 year old girl. You can't shoot to fast or one of the old farts may get upset and if that happens you will get kicked out. I almost did because I was shooting my 22 pistol to fast one day taking 5 seconds for each shot was too fast. I have tried to see if we could have an open sight in day for member of the club and community to help bring exposure to the club nope can't do that. If I can do anything it is run a weed wacker and that is it. Then is has to be done on the side berms and if I do that I will be laid up for a week with a torn up back.

If I could afford it I would joining Fairfax rod and gun club as they have the nicest facilities around this area. But dues are $1000 a year and they have a $1000 processing fee to sign up.

I have meet up with a few nice guys but for the most part they are there to shoot 500 rounds in 20 minutes and leave without speaking a word to anyone. oh well.....

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Sounds like your own little slice of heaven right there.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wish I could find a range like that around here. The cheapest one is $350 a year with a $350 sign up fee and you have to work a butt load of work day each year. I don't mind helping to keep up with place but if I have to take vacation to keep up with the work days I think you need to slow them down a little.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I hope you can find something similar Lon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
The range I go to is in rural Parker County, Texas. The dues are $70.00 a year. For that, you get a key to the gate, an ID tag, and access to the range 363 days a year from dawn to dusk. When you get to the gate, you unlock it, drive your vehicle through, sign the sign-in sheet that sits in an old mailbox, then lock the gate back up behind you. If you're the first one there that day, you raise the red flag on its pole so others will know that there's someone there shooting.

It's nothing fancy. The target stands are sections of pine 2" x 2" that you stick into sections of PVC that have been sunk into the ground vertically, that is if the supports haven't been all shot up by some ninja. Most of the pipes are filled up with mud. The range is self-policing, and the upkeep is done by the membership through their quarterly "work days." It's kind of a dump....it's wonderful, and I love it.

Hey I love your range too, lon. Hope ya don't think I'm being too uh, promiscuous by saying that lol

Shooting more than 2x week & whenever you want is something I could only dream about

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for saying that, zhuk. By the lack of interest in the thread, I'm thinking this was a topic that would only strike a chord with the more "mature" members, and that's okay, that's what I expected.

Don't know how old you are...but you seem to "get it."