Why don't Marines wear camouflaged plate carriers? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why don't Marines wear camouflaged plate carriers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Ha Ha Ha!!! Imagine that!! Healy, Chesak, and Lt. Deitz in the top photo!!

I know for a fact those three don't need no stinkin camo!!

Wait a minute... were you in 1/6 hotfudge?
No, I just dug around Google for the pictures.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #12

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
No, I just dug around Google for the pictures.
Man, that's just crazy!!

A little background on that shot... 2003 at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, training ops of course, during our workup for Afghanistan. Healy is the "slightly fluffy" one (his words, not mine) right up front. Chesak is the guy slightly to the right and behind him. The Lt is the one standing, you can just see his face over Chesak's head. Both Healy and Chesak had been with the unit for about 2 months when this was taken. I don't know if Healy is still kicking or not, but I still talk to Chesak sometimes. Lost track of the Lt altogether, officer/enlisted fraternization rules... so I didn't ever have any personal contact info when he moved on to another unit.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1484 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

If the Corps has nothing but coyote brown plate covers in the warehouse, that's what gets issued. Nobody runs up new budgets for for camo plate covers just to be in style. The Corps doesn't have the Army's budget.

Last edited by 7point62; 11-16-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
If the Corps has nothing but coyote brown plate covers in the warehouse, that's what gets issued. Nobody runs up new budgets for for camo plate covers just to be in style. The Corps doesn't have the Army's budget.
ain't that the truth. I heard the army actually supplies their soldiers with socks and underwear. Is this true?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
The Army has always been more fashion conscience and coordinated then the Marines.
Have you seen me in my dress blues? I've fought off men and women alike while wearing that uniform....fought the former harder then the latter.

As far as the camo....I don't know. I've seen old camo, tan and digital flacks and kevlar covers so I don't know.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

ain't that the truth. I heard the army actually supplies their soldiers with socks and underwear. Is this true?
Lol no. If it is they owe me a LOT of tightie tans!

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1484 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

hey, how's this for cover & concealment? Marines at MWTC with--yeah, you guessed it--coyote brown gear.

coyote brown does okay with MARPAT desert...I ain't sure it works that well with the snow digis.

HF--to answer your question seriously...Marines traditionally "make do" with what they have. Conventional Corps wisdom is that if we find ourselves fighting in a particular environment eventually we will be issued gear appropriate to that environment...but there's no reason to invest, for example, in winter warfare plate covers just for training cycles.

Last edited by 7point62; 11-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #18

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
hey, how's this for cover & concealment? Marines at MWTC with--yeah, you guessed it--coyote brown gear.

coyote brown does okay with MARPAT desert...I ain't sure it works that well with the snow digis.

HF--to answer your question seriously...Marines traditionally "make do" with what they have. Conventional Corps wisdom is that if we find ourselves fighting in a particular environment eventually we will be issued gear appropriate to that environment...but there's no reason to invest, for example, in winter warfare plate covers just for training cycles.
Marines win battles and wars, only snipers need concealment, we are going in guns a blazing, so no need to blend in. That and plus as mentioned earlier we just don't have the budget!

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #19

The actual reason is because we can't afford to. Literally, we don't have the money for that high speed low drag gear...
The Marine Corps had the smallest budget out of all the branches of service, even the Coast Guard. They just started issuing out new gas mask for all of us... And the army has had it for 5 years now. We always get all of the left overs.. But you know what we make it work and we kick ass.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper75
The actual reason is because we can't afford to. Literally, we don't have the money for that high speed low drag gear...
The Marine Corps had the smallest budget out of all the branches of service, even the Coast Guard. They just started issuing out new gas mask for all of us... And the army has had it for 5 years now. We always get all of the left overs.. But you know what we make it work and we kick ass.
Adapt and overcome, devil.