why does Lincoln get all the love over Washington?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > why does Lincoln get all the love over Washington?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default why does Lincoln get all the love over Washington?

Not political or what not. Just a observation.

All the presidents day adds and special all mention Lincoln abd what he done. I personally Think George Washington alone is the father of this country and deserves all the love. His own day for the crying out the loud.

It was Washington who rallied and kept the troops together at Valley Forge, it was Washington who crossed the Deleware in the middle of the night. And won us a little something todays dumb americans care nothing about (present company excluded). Freedom

But yet good ol' Abe get's all the press.

Ok, rant over

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Funny thing about that. Lincoln ran against the Democratic Party which was the Pro Slave party of the Civil War era. The Democrats damned old Abe for over 100 years. When race became the key to winning elections with the minority vote they made Lincoln the Icon of the new Democratic party. It seems the great uneducated masses never passed the 8th grade. Facts are in his time Lincoln made it very clear. He said if he could save the Union and let the South have their slaves he would choose saving the Union. It has become an American Hat trick.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I don't get why the presidents get all the credit people seem to forget that without the boys on the ground lincoln was just another whiny politcian.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Revisionist history!

Wheres Jefferson in the panthion of great presidents....just a footnote.

Abe single handedly did more to destroy the republic than pretty much any other president after him.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I think its partly a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Washington was in charge when this country fought for it's freedom. Lincoln was in charge when this country was held together and it happened more recently.

I can't think of any President since who has led during a time of more crisis than the revolutionary or civil wars(I hope no one tries to compare modern times to the difficulties faced during the civil war). All the more modern wars of serious consequence have been fought on foreign soil for the most part.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

A little known fact about Lincoln is that he cared more about saving the Union than freeing the slaves. I grew up thinking he was all about the slaves but if you look back into history and especially during the Civil War when he said, ""My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not to either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also so that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union." It gives you a different feeling on the guy IMO.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I agree with the above posts.

What impresses me about Washington is that he turned down a crown when his generals wanted to make him the king after the war. I’m not sure if he became the first president because the others dissidents trusted him. He wasn’t the brightest light in the room, but then it was a room with a lot of VERY bright lights. He may have been the noblest, and he wasn't born to it.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have often wished we had audio recordings of both Washington and Lincoln available to listen to. Lincoln was notorious for his horribly grating speaking voice. I think Lincoln was probably the opposite of Reagan; Reagan had a very polished speaking voice and presentation style (duh, former actor).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I was never a fan of his, and this is why.

1. When the states were seceding from the Union, Maryland was going to secede too. He made sure that did not happen by locking up almost every person that was for secession until it was too late for them to vote.

2. He made the civil war something it wasn't. We did not fight a huge, costly war just so a small percentage (I think it was about 10% of Southerners, but I could not find a really reliable source) of people could or could not own slaves. Yes, it was an issue, but states' rights were a bigger issue. He signed the Emancipation Proclamation to make himself look good, and get more support for the war.

3. He was part of the reason (though, this was accidental) the war even started. No one in the south voted for him, but he still got elected. I don't know about ya'll, but that would piss me off enough to make me want to start my own country too.

Washington on the other hand helped lead us to freedom from the British, and helped establish this country.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-21-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #10

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The question was why has Lincoln become an Icon of Liberal America? Why is he more sainted than George Washington? This is a very interesting question. Pardon me, but it deserves more than Lincoln saved the Republic. This is the kind of answer we expect from the history taught in public schools. Could it be that Washington was in fact a very wealthy and smart capitalist? Could it be he was educated and provided many jobs and also owned slaves. Could it be that in todays dollars he would be worth 597 Million dollars? Could it be he does not fit the Left Wing profile of antiAmerica capitalism? In case you have missed the daily news there is a Class War going on in our nation. Lincoln born in a Log Cabin little education saved the black race from the white race. Lincoln saved the nation by using the power of the strong Federal government to control American society North and South. He is the only President to suspend the "Writ" Americans in the North were imprisoned and News papers that disagreed with him were shut down. The Federal Army for the first time was turned against Americans in NYC. Draft rioters were shot down in the streets. Don't compare him to the present President? Please, put aside your crayons and study some adult history.