Why do you like firearms/guns?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why do you like firearms/guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Default Why do you like firearms/guns?

I'm not sure what else to ask to refine the question as I want it semi generic, I have my reasons but what are yours?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 734 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1738

I don't know exactly. Maybe because when it goes boom, deer (or doves, squirrels, etc) fall down, and I eat well.

I grew up around guns and hunters, and always have enjoyed plinking and hunting with various guns.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I used to be very active in sports and training, something I enjoyed very much. Since my injuries limit the amount of physical activity I can enjoy I needed another preoccupation - enter firearms

I really enjoy going to a range and testing my abilities to put rounds on target. I find it very relaxing and soothing, being outdoors, firing off rounds and gauging my successes/failures. I now shoot 3 different calibers that are complete different from each other - forcing me to expand my understanding of shooting even more.

That and I would like to be somewhat prepared for the impending Zombie apocalypse

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Marksmanship is a challange, carrying a concealed weapon is a responsibility and ownership and gun knowlege is my duty as a citizen, to provide for defense of my property and family.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #5

Liked 1174 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Zombie apocalypse is a reason of mine but I think primarily for me it's like Dune said. Marksmanship is a challenge. Hitting a small target from a ridiculous distance with a hand held device is freaking awesome!

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

x3 for the zombies. There is a huge thrill for me in hitting that little target. There is also the comfort of having at least the illusion of self sufficiency should the **** entirely hit the fan. And seriously who doesn't like explosions and loud noises?

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #7

Responsibility, self-sufficiency, there's no one else I trust to protect myself and those I love, the rush of sustained fire and because they make loud noises.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Was pondering this with a fellow club member on the weekend while at the range.

I can understand in the US and more 'gun-friendly' societies there is family tradition, national custom and a natural drive for self defence to help provide some explanation. But doesn't it possibly go deeper than just that?

When I first fired that lil .410 shottie way back when I was 17 while up the country, it was instant obsession, I'm not exagerrating. From that moment I wanted a gun bad...started plotting how to obtain a replica (as you could do back then under 18 with no licence required) until my parents very firmly said NYET! So I suppressed the urge...the 1996 laws came in...20+ years went by....

Last weekend, we were discussing how we all came to fall into this weird (to the vast majority of Aussies) enthusiasm...and why it hits so hard when you do catch it. I feel it's kind of like a contagion, that you are inherently disposed to the disease in the first place, but need that first exposure for it to become active

Otherwise, why does it descend upon certain people with no prior experience or exposure to firearms, who most likely have never ever seen one, except on TV/movies?? Very often no one we know has ever handled a gun, and the society around us is largely either indifferent or downright antagonistic towards the idea...so only the most afflicted prevail

It's an intriguing mystery I can only put down to something somehow weirdly biological/neurological that gets triggered (no pun intended lol)

So there you go, my theory: Gun lust as beneficial pathology

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Beyond the obvious hunting and protection answers I find it very relaxing to shoot. Being I do most of my shooting here at home it's nothing to grab a couple boxes of ammo and some type of firearm and think about nothing but the act of shooting. And peripheral stress just melts away. I also look at firearms as an art form. It's way beyond a tool thing for me I like seeing how they where put together.. Form as well as the function.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Because they are effing fun.

You can't tell me that aiming at a golf ball at 100 or 200 yards and hitting it is not fun. You can't tell me you don't enjoy going to the range teaching learning and having is not fun.

That and it pisses off the liberal and sheeply's out there.