Why do you carry a pocket knife? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why do you carry a pocket knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

First pocket knife that was my very own---1956, age 5. Carried one all
through school. So did pretty much everyone else, even the girls. It was a tool,
I can't remember even one time when one was used as a weapon.

Currently carrying a SOG Trident for general use, and a Schrade 3 blade Old-Timer
for light work. Benchmade or Spyderco for goin' out to dinner and a movie.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Carried a pocket knife since I was 10. I think it's a generational thing. Most guys my age it's habit. Wallet, change, knife and watch. You never left home without them.
I do the same thing. I have been since I was about 8, and an uncle gave me a 3" Buck knife. had that until the mid 90s when I lost it in an airport going through security. Forgot I had it. I replaced that one with another Buck, and still carry it.

Incredibly handy tool. Opens packges, mail. Cuts string, rope when necessary. You can use it on cheese, fruit, meat. i would not be without mine.

Now on the weekend, I generally have about a 4.5" blade on me working in the yard or around the house. Easier to tackle a bigger job. The people at work get nervous if I have it and bring it out. It does slice tomatos nicely though.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Last edited by Daoust_Nat; 07-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #33

Liked 1121 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 738

I know the thread is "Why do you carry a pocketknife?", but even though I don't, I'd like to add my .02 cents.
I LIKE knives, especially good quality ones. The ARE handy, no doubt. I guess I'm just not a knife guy. I don't like things weighing down my pockets. Right now, I'm wearing shorts that can barely contain my wallet, cell phone & keys. Believe me, I'd love to find a way to justify spending nearly $500 on a Benchmade Infidel......for basically the same reason, I don't CC very often. Although I do have my permit, and like having the option.....
Any of that make sense?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #34

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Growing up on the farm a pocket knife was mandatory equipment. When i left the farm and joined the rescue squad my pocket knife became an automatic style. They are just easier to open when your laying on your belly in an upside down car trying to cut seat belts. Now days it's a spring assist stiletto style. I mostly use it for cleaning out my pipe and decapitating my arch nemesis, those clear plastic blister packs Wal-Mart insists on packaging everything in. Besides I constantly find myself coming upon trouble hunting rouge potato chip bags. I can gut and clean a potato chip bag in record time with my stiletto.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #35

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I carry a 5 $ craftsman that takes utility knife blades. Its handy and I use it almost everyday. Its part of my morning routine b efore I leave. Wallet, keys, knife and phone and I'm out the door

Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #36

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I had someone try to get me fired because I carried a 3.25" pocket knife and rules were 3" or under. Now I carry a Kershaw Leek. Just under 3". Stupid B after that all the guys started bringing knives. She thought it was unsafe so when the boss said all under 3" can't do anything about it she quit.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #37

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
I had someone try to get me fired because I carried a 3.25" pocket knife and rules were 3" or under. Now I carry a Kershaw Leek. Just under 3". Stupid B after that all the guys started bringing knives. She thought it was unsafe so when the boss said all under 3" can't do anything about it she quit.
Good, now she can get a job with peta or the brady campaign or somethin.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #38
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1897 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5713

I started carrying a Imperial Kamp King in 3rd Grade.
Several of us kids saved and bought knives and started the "Kamp King" club.

I have since then moved to a USA made Schrade.

Over the years I have learned that it can stay in my pocket most everywhere. It has been checked at courthouses. It has been mailed home from airport checkpoints. It has traveled on airplanes.

A simple, small two blade Schrade.

The Kamp King was like a boy scout knife

imperial-kamp-king.jpg  

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
stratrider Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I was 7 when I bought my very first pocket knife with my own money It was a Barlow 2 blade. My favorite pocket carry is my Buck Wrangler (lg Stockman) that I bought in 1977/78 and I still have it. Currently I carry a CRKT Igniter with assisted opener.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #40
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also carried one all through school. Everyday knife is a victorinox "executive". A smallish swiss army knife. My Sunday go to meetin' knife is a small 2 blade schrade pen knife. I have 6 or 8 of swiss army knives because I hate sharpening them. When they get dull they go into a box, when I get the last sharp one out I sit down that night and sharpen all of the dull ones at one sitting.

I lost one to the TSA a couple of years ago, I didn't check the pockets of the jeans I threw into my carry-on. He really did not see the humor when I told him it was ok I would get it back next week when they sold it on e-bay, which is where I got it in the first place.