Why do you carry a pocket knife? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1070 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Default Why do I carry a pocket knife?

Why do I carry a pocket knife? When I came up it was standard equipment - even at school! No self-respecting kid was without one. NEVER saw a knife-fight either. Great tool!!
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #22

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Where I'm at if you need one and ask someone to borrow theirs , they look at u like where's yours at dumb a55. Its a every day tool for me . Used it this morning g to cut some rope with

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #23

Liked 431 Times on 251 Posts

I'm 41 and a father of 2. My generation was at the cusp of hip hop, grunge, angst, video games, cell phones, and no watches...BUT, we still played with toy guns and GI Joe and spent our days outside riding BMX or skating vert ramps. We weren't emasculated and lazy. 'Tactical' everything also hit my generation, and thus we carry knives, big ones, under the belief they are for people and not boxes. Everyday I have a big Spyderco Endura 4 in my pocket and I hate cutting cardboard with it. I've used it to cut a steak or an apple but man, I can't hardly stomach hacking up boxes with it. It's less of a tool and more solely a self defense item. Not sure why that is or if anyone my age, say 30 to 45, would agree but that's how I view it. Knives are for cutting people, not boxes...and what's stupid is I can't ever imagine a need to cut anyone, so maybe I go my entire life with this big folder and almost never use it.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #24

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Why not?

I carry a SOG trident, a leatherman wave, and a boker credit card knife in my wallet. I use the leatherman and the SOG knife AT LEAST 4 times a day! Between work, hobbies, projects, and life, I don't see how anyone can go without one. I often have people ask to use my knife, so I think everyone should carry one.
Also, I only use one handed opening knives for my main pocket knife. I have had many a time where I only had one hand to open it.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #25

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Carried a pocket knife since I was 10. I think it's a generational thing. Most guys my age it's habit. Wallet, change, knife and watch. You never left home without them. Younger people don't carry a knife or wear a watch. They use their smart phone to tell time, although I don't know how you could slice an apple with one.
You may be right about the generational thing. I have a little age on me and have a hell of a time keeping a watch though. I break them in some of the weirdest ways. My wife says I"m not allowed ot have another one. So I have to get another one
I have the smart phone and I"m laughed at because I demand that it have an 'analog clock on it. Digital clocks are for people that can't tell time. I will admit I did find them pretty cool for about 15 minutes in the 70s though.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #26

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I just grew up with a SAK in my back pocket.

Now my EDC is a Surge. Wish I had a nickel

for every time it saved me a trip to the toolbox.

I could probably buy and sell Donald T.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2296 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

I carry a pocket knife to cut stuff!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #28

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry for utility and a seprate for defence. A spyderco byrd for D and a kershaw for utility.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #29

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
To me, the question would be why wouldn't you carry a pocket knife? It's as much apart of what I carry as my watch or my wallet.
Heck, I even carry an extra knife IN my wallet!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

For years i bought em and carried em. Every couple of weeks it would get lost. Eventually i wised up and stopped wasting money on buying things i was going to lose anyway....

I would love to have one for edc but i cant seem to not lose the damn things
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent