Why do you carry a pocket knife? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why do you carry a pocket knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Why? For a tool mostly. I usually carry a Buck or Gerber. A man without a knife will soon be asking to borrow one.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #12

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36
I carry a pocket knife because I conceal carry and I am of the school of thought if you are going to carry a firearm you should carry a tiered system of self defense so if the threat isn't a mortal threat you can greet the threat with an appropriate measure of self defense.

For instance . Did gz have to kill trayvon martin? I dunno , wasn't there . But for the sake of argument lets say no. Now what? You have an active threat posing a substantial risk to your safety but the threat assessment doesn't warrant deadly force , what do you do ? You have no baton , no tactical pen , no knife. All you have is a gun. Are you justified in using it ? Sure , but it probably would've been better to not have to use deadly force where less than lethal would've been sufficient. So I try to carry a big gnarly key chain that I wouldn't wanna get hit by. A pocket knife ( Kershaw asset speed safe spring assisted flipper ) 8cr13mov high carbon stainless and ofcourse my carry gun. So I have 3 levels of self defense.

Aside from that . Everyday utilitarian situations ofcourse.
Can you please post a pic of your gnarly key chain? Ive been looking for a tactical key chain but all the ones ive seen have a big lead ball wrapped in fabric its to heavy and wont fit inside my pocket what kind of keychain do you have?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #13

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I carry mine as a tool as well very handy little tool. I dont think id ever use it for self defense seems kinda cowardly to pull a knife on someone unarmed for self defense unless the guy had a knife or a club id use it if thats all i had

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #14

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Handy tool I always have one.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2801 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Since I got caps on my front teeth at the age of 19, I've carried a pocketknife virtually everyday. I can't imagine going thru the day without one. I use mine for everything from cutting open mail & packages to slicing fruit to gutting small game.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I've carried a pocketknife since I was in the 3rd grade,,, the old man got me one from the big ole Herter's catalog out on Minnesota,,, lost that one when I was about ten, felt like I had disappointed my dad to no end,, he was not and after more work for the cattle farm southeast of us, another Herter's was on the way. Knives are very versatile and their uses are endless,,, if I were stuck in the woods with the choice of only one device,, it would be a knife,, I have about 200 laying around ,, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

I grew up on a farm, putting a knife in your pocket was as natural as putting your socks on. I still carry a three blade Case everyday, unless I am getting on a plane.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #18

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Carried a pocket knife since I was 10. I think it's a generational thing. Most guys my age it's habit. Wallet, change, knife and watch. You never left home without them. Younger people don't carry a knife or wear a watch. They use their smart phone to tell time, although I don't know how you could slice an apple with one.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1707 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Carried a pocket knife since I was 10. I think it's a generational thing. Most guys my age it's habit. Wallet, change, knife and watch. You never left home without them. Younger people don't carry a knife or wear a watch. They use their smart phone to tell time, although I don't know how you could slice an apple with one.
Same here. I have been carrying one since I was 8-9 somewhere in that range. Leaving the house with out it is like leaving the house without my pants on.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #20

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

To me, the question would be why wouldn't you carry a pocket knife? It's as much apart of what I carry as my watch or my wallet.