Why do people want to OC? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why do people want to OC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If im not mistaken the open carry laws in cali. only state that the weapon must not have a live round in the chamber. For this reason police are "authorized" but not mandated to perform what is called an "E" inspection.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #32

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I was led to believe You can only open carry in CA within counties that have less than 200000 residents, and no current ban against it. I don't open carry in CA unless I am waaayyyy out in the boonies. But If i had the opportunity, I would, just to watch all the Lefties and Fruitfairies squirm....

Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #33

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I do not however understand how oc makes you more of a target ( for bad guys). My experience is a bad guy is less likely to attack someone they think will put up a fight. And most people assume if you have a gun on your hip, the possibility of you being a LEO is high.

I have a gun, I carry a gun and I will use it if the situational threat rises to the occasion. I've got no reason to hide it, I'd rather people know I have one than think I didn't. If I'm legal to carry I will, but I won't carry an unloaded one and I won't do it where I think I am going to get harassed.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #34
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Okay, I grew up in a California mountain town. I won't name it, just to avoid long debates as it has changed a lot since then, but it was large for a town in the hills, and we knew of all of the California laws. However, we had hunters that walked through part of town, locals that brought guns in to get them fixed, and one older Mexican gent that dressed in full Mexican Army regalia including his vest, Sombrero, two bandoliers of ammunition and two real six shooters! He wandered around town all the time with both pistols stoked with live rounds but no one, including LEOs cared.

When the law came down to have an unloaded chamber (and it is unloaded chamber, not unloaded gun), I was stopped bringing a carbine into the gunsmith to have it fixed. The deputy told me I was in violation of the law and I asked him what I was supposed to do now. He grinned and smugly said, "take the round out of the chamber, stupid!" I took the round out, threw it in my pocket and he continued, "Just leave the action open while in town and we won't even give you a second look - easier on all of us. Do whatever you want at the city limits." Our town had people OCing pistols, shotguns, rifles, you name it. it wasn't like everywhere you looked someone was armed, but it was frequent enough that no one was surprised to see it.

It all depends who leads your LEO's, how thy were trained and how large the city is. Our town was a retirement community and the Sheriff and Chief of Police had no political aspirations so there were no political games being played and the citizens were allowed to do the things that came naturally to them and the laws were interpreted liberally, but still enforced. No one called 911 when a gun was seen as they were always seen! Violent crime was unheard of except for spousal abuse as criminals were afraid that they would encounter a gun at almost every turn!

It seems that the more stress everyone perceives in their own life, the more they like to inflict in others; even if they don't truly feel threatened by a person shopping at the supermarket carrying a gun, their significant other left them and they had a bad day at work, so why shouldn't five cops have to come over here and deal with this? It'll make them feel better if they are involved in a Miami-Vice-like scenario right here in the middle of the store! It's the typical "Making a Mountain out of a Molehill" syndrome and we all do it more frequently when stressed - it's just that a gun is a huge stressor to many people that do not understand them. If OC people truly want to desensitize the public, they should start raising money to make T.V. and radio commercials. Also, a song by a popular pop or hip-hop artist would go a long way to desensitizing the younger generation. Enough ads and songs and the public will be numb to us carrying guns as they are to S.U.V.s, McDonald's and bad driving! I can see the T.V. ad now...a father-type is shopping at Wal-Mart and a woman sees his gun...she quickly grabs her daughter to protect her and dials 911...the police screech into the parking lot and "assault" the underwear aisle where he is looking over some Hanes tighty-whities...he follows instructions, puts his hands against the display and gets cuffed while the woman looks on all smug and superior. Then the scene changes and the officer is uncuffing the OCer and they are all looking scornfully at the woman. The deputy asks the woman what he did to make her call 911...through stuttering and stumbling they determine absolutely nothing...the officer then tells her very sternly that it is not a crime "JUST" to carry a firearm in this state and she just wasted all their time. Somewhere in there the little girl could look up and comment, "I thought you told me not to judge people just by the way they looked!" Mother looks embarrassed...fade out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #35

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suptra25 View Post
If im not mistaken the open carry laws in cali. only state that the weapon must not have a live round in the chamber. For this reason police are "authorized" but not mandated to perform what is called an "E" inspection.
Closest to fire-ready would be to have the slide back then. They should make "California holsters" that hold guns with the slide back.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #36

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Closest to fire-ready would be to have the slide back then. They should make "California holsters" that hold guns with the slide back.
I've thought about that myself. And we could use some clear holsters in places like MS.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #37

Default Why do people want to OC?

I all comes down to Liberty or tyranny .
It is a constitutional right just keep quite long enough and the libs will see to it you have zero liberty.