Why do people want to OC? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why do people want to OC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Why do you want to open carry?
Because you can? The difference between OC and CC is a simple wardrobe adjustment with one's shirt or jacket. An adjustment that can be done quickly, based on one's surroundings and the need for unwanted attention. Of course, legal to carry either way, is much more desirable.

I don't agree with OC when the gun is unloaded, but if need be, I can draw, slam a mag home, rack a slide and be on target in less than 3 seconds. In that 3 seconds, I can move offensively, create a distraction, or take cover if needed, to be in a defensive stance. A very easy drill to practice and become proficient.

Just my nickel's worth...keep the change.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #22

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I don't agree with OC when the gun is unloaded, but if need be, I can draw, slam a mag home, rack a slide and be on target in less than 3 seconds. In that 3 seconds, I can move offensively, create a distraction, or take cover if needed, to be in a defensive stance. A very easy drill to practice and become proficient.
Be honest Jack, you just glare at them and they lose control of their bowels...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post

Just my nickel's worth...keep the change.

I believe the definition of unloaded here in CA includes no loaded magazine anywhere on your person.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #24

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Here in GA you can OC or CC as long as you have a permit - and yes the guns can even be loaded. I don't OC much but I will "lazy" CC sometimes where I haven't taken great effort to conceal that I'm packing. In this part of the country OC is actually pretty common and doesn't attract much attention really. This debate generally brings our community to the point of fisticuffs as folks are passionate on both sides.

Many of the OC proponents think it's their "duty" to desensitize the public at large and "force" them to accept OC. Personally, I think this is extremely stupid.

What we, the gun loving community can never forget is we're a minority - just like the gun haters. If I had to guess, maybe 10% of the population loves guns, another 10% hates guns, and the vast majority doesn't really care. To offend the majority by being "in your face" is just plain silly - we need their votes to change bad laws as we don't have the numbers without them.

As for OC in California - this is plain stupid as displaying an unloaded gun is asinine IMHO...

(As a little basis for my guess at numbers, I did a little research a year ago that shows about 6% of GA adults have a permit to carry)
My feeling exactly.

CT is very similar. We have a "Pistol Permit", no where in the law does it say it has to be concealed. However, it is generally interpreted as a "Concealed Permit". We have some yahoo's here in the state that want to push the envelope and OC. So the state is now looking to re-write the law to spell out the concealed part. My fear is that if they re-write the law, who knows what else they may include, ie. hi-cap ban, etc.

I personally don't understand the reasoning behind OC, especially in a state like mine, you are getting in the face of the anti-gunners and the indifferent folks and you are "advertising" to any BG that you are the guy to "take out" 1st.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #25

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I believe the definition of unloaded here in CA includes no loaded magazine anywhere on your person.
Damn! Well in that case, never mind then!

The only reason to open carry a weapon in California would be for "Show and Tell."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If legal, then open carry or concealed carry is up to each individual. Be glad you have the option. I fail to see any logic in carrying an unloaded gun either concealed or openly.

If I should be unaware enough to get into a shooting situation, I want the fact that I have a gun to be a complete surprise to everyone but me.
My thoughts too.
In Wa state, OC is legal, and there is a org that likes to push it in public, like at the local Starbucks coffee shop.
Most all of western WA, (Seattle) is very liberal, and frown on evil guns, so I prefer to just keep mine concealed, with an exception when camping, or hunting.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #27

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Have your GF carry the mags. It's a good reason to walk with your hand in her pocket as a bonus. With the 2 person operation, it's legal then.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #28

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
OC is pretty common here in PA.
Back in 1997 I lived in a small town in PA and saw a man walking down the main street with a shotgun propped up on his shoulder. I thought it was weird just because I'd never seen a regular person walking out in public with a gun before. Other than him, I don't think I've ever come across an OC in plain civilian clothes anywhere in my whole life.

I'm thinking about going for an OC walk outside just for no other reason than sooos I can say I did it. =)
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #29

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
I don't live in California, and therefore have not researched their laws. But, I was watching the news not long ago and there was an OC group doing a beach clean up, and of course the cops showed up to watch (one even said on camera he was there to make sure no one else hassled them) and every one of them that I saw, including the yahoo with an AR on his back, had mags on their bodies.

What the law in Cali says I have no idea for sure, but I watched on T.V. as cops watched OC with mags on person, and no one was arrested, detained or charged, at least not on camera.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You will never see me open carry. It just doesn't make sense in California.

Anyway, what's the point of an unloaded handgun? It's like decaf coffee or non-alcoholic beer.
I was wondering the same thing.