Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why do people want to OC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Why do people want to OC?

Speaking solely for CA. Our laws say you can OC, but it can't be loaded. So that leaves me with the question. Why do you want to open carry?

All you are going to get is questioned and possibly proned out by LE...which is just a little bit embarrassing in front of a crowd of people. You can't use it for self defense (unless you skate on thin ice and carry a loaded mag with you), you are inviting harassment and there is a STRONG likelihood you will get robbed for your gun.

I can slightly understand OC in a state where it can be loaded, but in CA? Come on I have to think this is nothing more than either machismo BS or I'm gonna test the cops and then sue for having my 2A rights infringed on.

Bello, this not a shot at you. You're not from here and you were just asking about what is "loaded." It's just there was a population of people that OC'd one so they could feel more adequate and others that as soon as I got out of the car, they started recording and telling me they were calling their attorney because I was infringing on their rights.

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-15-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Is that the Barney Fife rule?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #3

No, he gets a bullet to signal for help

Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I have open carried before and have never been questioned or looked at twice by LEOs. Sometimes some people would look at you. Guess it really depends on where you live.

When I was younger, I had gotten pulled over and had a revolver in the center console. Yes, it would be considered concealed. When the Officer came to the door I told him. He ask me to get out and he reached in pulled it out, asked me about it. Then put it down in the seat, told me I should have it in the open. He gave me a ticket for "Follow to Close", I was behind him.

I haven't ever ran into a problem.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I have open carried before and have never been questioned or looked at twice by LEOs. Sometimes some people would look at you. Guess it really depends on where you live.

When I was younger, I had gotten pulled over and had a revolver in the center console. Yes, it would be considered concealed. When the Officer came to the door I told him. He ask me to get out and he reached in pulled it out, asked me about it. Then put it down in the seat, told me I should have it in the open. He gave me a ticket for "Follow to Close", I was behind him.

I haven't ever ran into a problem.
In CA? Wow that is usually something that generates a ton of calls and quick response.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post

Bello, this not a shot at you. You're not from here and you were just asking about what is "loaded." It's just there was a population of people that OC'd one so they could feel more adequate and others that as soon as I got out of the car, they started recording and telling me they were calling their attorney because I was infringing on their rights.
I didnt took it as a shot at me, we are cool. I actually appreciate you opening this new post. I was just wondering and asking you guys since you lived there and have more experience with or as law enforcement (your case) or civilian. Im a law biding citizen and I enjoy and embrace our 2nd amendment right. I just want to enjoy my trip with not having LE hassle or misunderstandings.

Here in Oregon its all sweet and dandy. I have had LE contact before and they mostly ask what brand I carry and caliber and what holster I use ( I use a Blackhawk Serpa thigh rig).

Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I've only seen a handful of guys open carry in MA. All of those guys were just presenting themselves as targets. Granted, its their right to, but the element of surprise is priceless, especially when your talking about your's and your loved one's lives.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You will never see me open carry. It just doesn't make sense in California.

Anyway, what's the point of an unloaded handgun? It's like decaf coffee or non-alcoholic beer.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I've only seen a handful of guys open carry in MA. All of those guys were just presenting themselves as targets. Granted, its their right to, but the element of surprise is priceless, especially when your talking about your's and your loved one's lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You will never see me open carry. It just doesn't make sense in California.

Anyway, what's the point of an unloaded handgun? It's like decaf coffee or non-alcoholic beer.
BINGO!
Just in case everything else didn't scream you're a DB, might as well seal the deal with an unloaded gun in a thigh rig

Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #10

Livermore is just over the hill from where I worked and guess what the news is reporting right now....hmmm could it be the droves of DB's OCing? These guys even have a stinkin' site.

]

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-15-2011 at 03:47 AM.