Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > WHY the anti OC argument?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4673 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
That's up to you when I see bombs in Boston and children being shot in schools in America I do care what goes on in America and other countries even tough they don't directly effect me. You might only care what the firearms laws are in America I am interested on what they are in different countries.
Yes Manta... but your country is the size of Rhode Island... and about as interesting.

If you lived in a "real" country... you'd also not have time to ponder the piddling of the piss ants...

Tack

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Personally, I wouldn't OC outside of my property, or the range. It's not because I worry about being targeted, it because I'm a pretty private guy, and really don't like to draw attention to myself. That's my preference. I don't have a single problem with people open carrying unless they are trying to cause some kind of problem.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #73

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post

I'm an old salt and I've never heard of a civilian O/Cer getting his firearm forcibly taken from him and used against him or somebody else...but open-carry isn't common among civilians. It is common for LEOs and I have heard of incidents where a LEO gets shot with his own service weapon, or has his weapon wrested away from him in a physical confrontation. I'm not offering an opinion here on open-carry. A civilian open-carrier is not likely to be confronting law-breakers on a daily basis.
That was a point I brought up once before. It's a LEO's job to go into harm's way in occasion, and to deal with troublemakers daily. It's my job to get home to my son every day. Two entirely different walks of life, which was why I was asking about civilians specifically.

I would like to hear some cases where it happened to LEOs though. There can usually be something learned from nearly every situation.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #74
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20829 Times on 11846 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I did a Google search. This is the ONLY case I could find where a OCer was targeted because of his gun.

http://westside.kob.com/news/business/customer-attacked-garcias-restaurant/68923

It can happen, but it very rarely happens. You're probably much more likely to get hit by lightning than be targeted by a criminal for OCing.
does open carry cause you to be a bigger target? it's possible, as i am not naive enough to think that it can't. but in that scenario, if it were to happen, the BG is more than likely going to kill everyone anyways.

IMO, it the location you live in makes a huge difference as to public perception. the more people that do OC, the less it's noticed. could depend on what you use when you OC. a huge 50 AE Desert Eagle in a tactical rig type holster would garner more attention than a 38 snubnose in small leather holster on the belt.
People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #75

Quote:
That's up to you when I see bombs in Boston and children being shot in schools in America I do care what goes on in America and other countries even tough they don't directly effect me. You might only care what the firearms laws are in America I am interested on what they are in different countries.
Are you trying to say we need stricter laws?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #76

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Personally, I wouldn't OC outside of my property, or the range. It's not because I worry about being targeted, it because I'm a pretty private guy, and really don't like to draw attention to myself. That's my preference. I don't have a single problem with people open carrying unless they are trying to cause some kind of problem.
The YouTube commandos I do have a problem with. Being openly combative to some cop because he got a call I see as just too much. I've been stopped and asked about an OC firearm and have no problem allowing them to do their job so we both and get on our way. After all all the LEO knows is I"m a man with a gun that he was called out to. I don't agree or will condone shake downs by LE but I honestly see that as being a pretty small problem. Now days I'm sure people still call cops on me but most of them have dealt with me at a range or in one of those stop situations and will just drive by and wave. I've actually made several shooting buddies from cops I've met at the range or when they where called out because some lefty called about the old bearded man with a pistol.

You do no one a service by being an ass...No matter the situation. In this case it's just trying to get your 15 minutes at the expense of an officer trying to do their job.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 05-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Are you trying to say we need stricter laws?
No I don't see were I said that.

Quote:
Yes Manta... but your country is the size of Rhode Island... and about as interesting
You should know that size isn't everything.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #78

Quote:
No I don't see were I said that.

You should know that size isn't everything.
It sounded like you were implying it. If not, then we're good.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #79

Quote:
That's up to you when I see bombs in Boston and children being shot in schools in America I do care what goes on in America and other countries even tough they don't directly effect me. You might only care what the firearms laws are in America I am interested in what they are in different countries.
you might point your attentions and concerns to many of the third world countries instead of the US. they are rife with bombings and children being killed in their schools. here in the US those are pretty much isolated incidents and not the norm like other countries. just because our media blows it out of proportion, making it sound like it happens every day, doesn't mean it does. but the loss of one child in a shooting is tragic, whether it happens in a school or driveby in their own neighborhood. pretty sure the media will jump on a story about several children being killed in a school faster than a few killed in drivebys in their own neighborhood.

IIRC, it even happens in Ireland quite a bit doesn't it? your own type of homegrown terrorists i believe, the IRA and similar groups.

and a bombing has nothing in direct relation to people carrying openly. even bringing up the subject does nothing to further the discussion and only distorts the issue we are discussing.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The YouTube commandos I do have a problem with. Being openly combative to some cop because he got a call I see as just too much. I've been stopped and asked about an OC firearm and have no problem allowing them to do their job so we both and get on our way. After all all the LEO knows is I"m a man with a gun that he was called out to. I don't agree or will condone shake downs by LE but I honestly see that as being a pretty small problem. Now days I'm sure people still call cops on me but most of them have dealt with me at a range or in one of those stop situations and will just drive by and wave. I've actually made several shooting buddies from cops I've met at the range or when they where called out because some lefty called about the old bearded man with a pistol.

You do no one a service by being an ass...No matter the situation. In this case it's just trying to get your 15 minutes at the expense of an officer trying to do their job.
i agree. this is where i have a problem. irresponsible actions and atitudes. when it more states allow OC and it becomes more common with responsible LA adults, public perception should change.
wizard63 Likes This 
Closed Thread