Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > WHY the anti OC argument?

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cattledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 1,459
Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I agree pretty much fully with your sentiment. While I'm pro carry, and really feel obligated to champion the right to OC, I'll admit in a heartbeat that it's not for everyone at everytime. Ya know, once upon a time, concealed carry was strictly forbidden in Louisiana. It was considered unmanly
I'm not kidding, you can look it up. I believe the words, "cowardly", and "unmanly" were specifically used!
By the way, I clicked your link. I assume you just recently read this article, but here's what I found...
MMm annoying. Not sure whats up with that. I just used the link from my post and it worked fine. Heres a screencap.

Authorities say last week's homicides both involved a robbery or attempted robberies, but it was unclear why or how each victim was selected. Also unknown is whether either suspect knew either victim.

Tyler, a customer at the BP station, was killed about 8:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 25, inside the store. According to court papers, Smith and Hamiel arrived at the BP together on a single scooter and followed Tyler into the store.

Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit, but his handgun was plainly visible that night in his holster, Johnson said.

"The suspects walk in and one immediately reached for Mr. Tyler's gun," Johnson said. Tyler did not draw his weapon.

According to court papers, Smith took Tyler's gun during a struggle and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith inside the store. Authorities said they could not confirm that Tyler was killed with his own gun until they get the results of forensics testing. They also are awaiting test results to show whether the gun used to kill Tyler was the one used to shoot Cosby.

Cosby, 32, was sitting with a woman in a car in the 1700 block of Edwards Avenue about 2:30 a.m. last Saturday, when Smith walked up and tried to rob them, according to court documents. The woman hurried out of the car and heard gunshots as she ran. Police found Cosby dead in the vehicle.

Smith faces 17 charges, including two counts of murder in the deaths of Tyler and Cosby, along with robbery of Tyler and two counts of attempted robbery in the Edwards Avenue slaying. Hamiel faces eight charges, including murder and robbery of Tyler.

Preliminary hearings for both teens are set for Jan. 30.
richmond-metro-area-2013-05-10-12-34-31.jpg  
__________________
Join the NRA Here!


"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 05-10-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: screencap sucks
Cattledog is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #122
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post

So its the right to open carry you are championing not if its a good idea or not. I have no problem saying people should have the right to open carry.
Good God man, can you read?


Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Now, let me be clear, I'm not trying to say that everyone should OC. If you feel you have a distinct tactical advantage by CCing (I know I feel that way myself), that's your call. I am solely looking for opponents to the matter to back up their claims with real life evidence of some sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

And there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with that, and I fully support your right to make that decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yep yep, I fully agree. Those who do it for attention are total turds and aren't helping at all. This march that's being planned on Washington? I have nothing good to say about it, and I'm dreading the event.

I OC because if you've lived in Louisiana less than 15 contiguous years, it's an extra $150 bucks, on top of the approximate $150 that is the going rate for the class, prints, photos, and licensing fees. This is regardless of the fact that I held a CC permit in Mississippi before I moved here, and I'm a veteran (I personally think vets should be excused from the $100 class, but it'll never happen because the criteria covers legal implications too)

But, this is straying off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post


That is your opinion, and I respect your right to have it, and agree with much of it. As to what it accomplishes? I don't know, maybe it just provides a legal way to carry a firearm for those who don't have the disposable income at the moment to buy their way into the CC permit club, such as in my specific case.

But none of that was even the point. Your argument is valid, and as I said, I respect and agree with much of it. To some, OC is the only available option.

But if you go back to my opening post, you'll see, I'm not trying to start an argument "pro or anti", or convince anyone that one method is superior to the other, and by reading the rest of it, you'll see that I'm not in favor of those attempting to create a spectacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

And that's a very valid concern. There are tons of places where, if I saw someone OCing, my likely comment would be, "are you ****ing kidding me?"

It's definitely not a carry method that's suitable for everyone and every locale.
I'm not even really talking about the right, specifically, to open carry. I'm only asking for someone, to please, support this seemingly false claim that open carry will get you killed.

These are only a few of my posts (abridged) from the first three pages of this thread. Never once have I pushed that everyone should open carry, nay, I've said numerous times, and emphatically, that it's NOT for everyone in every situation. Geez.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,442
Liked 364 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Ok Some things are common sense and don't need evidence to back it up.
Yes in my (opinion) its common sense. Some of my opinions are influenced by what I see here if you were to open carry here you might as well put a sign above your head shoot me that's why its not permitted here.

Quote:
I'm not even really talking about the right, specifically, to open carry. I'm only asking for someone, to please, support this seemingly false claim that open carry will get you killed.
What does it matter if people are permitted to open or concealed carry they can decide for themselves what they thing is best for them. Where do you expect people to get this evidence you are looking for, is every incident on the net do you expect people to hire researchers or spend hours trying to find something on the net.
__________________

Last edited by manta; 05-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #124
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

MMm annoying. Not sure whats up with that. I just used the link from my post and it worked fine. Heres a screencap.
Very well. Now we're up to AT LEAST two confirmed cases, several unsubstantiated that are considered likelihoods (involving store clerks and cops), and one overseas. Thank you!
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Yes in my (opinion) its common sense. Some of my opinions are influenced by what I see here if you were to open carry here you might as well put a sign above your head shoot me that's why its not permitted here.

What does it matter if people are permitted to open or concealed carry they can decide for themselves what they thing is best for them. Where do you expect people to get this evidence you are looking for, is every incident on the net do you expect people to hire researchers or spend hours trying to find something on the net.
You can stop trolling any time now. No one's holding a gun to your head and making you do anything. People say "this is a fact". I've looked for evidence that it's a fact. I can find none. So I ask, "can you support this claim that it's a fact?" And apparently you can't. Your can't even give a statement such as "I saw it on the 6 o'clock news, but now I can't find the story!" Now you're just arguing and running things around in circles.

Oh, and yeah, pretty much everything is on the net, if it's ever been in the news or had a police report filed on it.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,442
Liked 364 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
You can stop trolling any time now. No one's holding a gun to your head and making you do anything. People say "this is a fact".
Is disagreeing with you or having a different opinion to you trolling. Why don't you say at the start of your post that everyone has to follow your rules and agree with you and we would all get along.
__________________
manta is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #127
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Is disagreeing with you or having a different opinion to you trolling. Why don't you say at the start of your post that everyone has to follow your rules and agree with you and we would all get along.
This thread was never about opinion. This thread was about trying to find support for a statement that's widely pronounced to be an irrefutable truth. Opinion has been allowed, and I believe I've cordially validated many if not all of them, INCLUDING yours.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #128
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cattledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 1,459
Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default

this....sorry Trip. Not to say that it happens all the time. Im on your side with that.

But to the point I was making, its all about situational awareness. Know your citizenry. Know your neighborhoods. This didn't happen because he was OC it happened because he wasn't paying attention AND he was obviously known around town to carry and probably targeted because of that.

http://youtu.be/zx_YUO4SzcY

__________________
Join the NRA Here!


"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
Cattledog is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

No need for apology, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. It proves that it's possible, as I'm sure pretty much all of us already knew. I still wouldn't call it a certainty, or even a likelihood, although some would.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #130
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,442
Liked 364 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
This thread was about trying to find support for a statement that's widely pronounced to be an irrefutable truth
Were are all these statements that you are talking about. You are asking everybody for facts and examples were are yours. ?
__________________

Last edited by manta; 05-10-2013 at 10:05 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The argument against democracy Vincine Politics, Religion and Controversy 24 06-12-2012 04:21 PM
AR, AK, how about a third side to this old argument? armoredman Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 18 02-10-2011 09:06 PM
The Last Word in an Argument CA357 The Club House 3 02-01-2010 12:04 PM
Settle An Argument user4 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 53 02-23-2009 05:11 PM
help refuting pro gun control argument ISS Politics, Religion and Controversy 12 07-19-2008 08:05 PM