Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > WHY the anti OC argument?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default WHY the anti OC argument?

The argument that your gun will be snatched from it's holster and used against you, and/or that you'll be the first one targeted by a bad guy in the event of an active shooter/armed robbery situation?

I bring this up because I've argued against the point many times, and invited everyone I've argued with to "show me the money", yet, to date, no one has.

And so, I dedicate this thread, to IRREFUTABLE PROOF that "OC will get you killed."

I always say, "I'm sure it's happened... but when?", and no one has ever answered. So, I extend this invitation to ALL OF YOU, please, "show me the money". When has OC gotten anyone killed in this manner?

Here are the rules:
1. Armed security and cops? They don't count. This is an argument pro/con on the subject of the "AVERAGE" LAC Open Carrying a handgun.
2. Guns stolen from a home and later used in a burglary resulting in injury or death? Don't count. Again, this is about me, or Manta, or Axxe55, or WOC, TWW, or absolutely any other regular "Joe" or "Jolene" going about their daily lives with a handgun on their hip, it's NOT about home break-ins. Break ins can happen to anyone, whether you OC or CC.
3. Just in case 1 and 2 weren't clear enough, or the intro, there's this: I want to see EVIDENCE. At this point, I'd even be surprised to see unsubstantiated claims, that if you OC, you're at a significant disadvantage and that your "gun will be snatched from it's holster and used against you or others", or that, "you will be shot first in an active shooter situation".

Now, let me be clear, I'm not trying to say that everyone should OC. If you feel you have a distinct tactical advantage by CCing (I know I feel that way myself), that's your call. I am solely looking for opponents to the matter to back up their claims with real life evidence of some sort.

Oh, and drop the hypothetical conjecture. We've all heard the argument, I've even outlined them here. Don't say "It will" or "it can" without any evidence. That's why I started this thread, because I'm sick and tired of everyone regurgitating the same old bull **** with nothing to back it up. Even I agree that it can happen. I just want to know, "when has it happened?". Because the anti OCers are really adamant that "the streets will run red with blood", yet have not offered any support for that argument, and I can't find any myself.

Ready? Set? GO!!!

Last edited by trip286; 05-06-2013 at 02:13 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Some people prefer open carry; others do not. I have no problem with the outcome of such a decision. However, for me, personally, I am a private man. So it is characteristic of me then to carry concealed so as not to attract attention to me at all. But don't get me wrong. I am not against open carry. I'd rather walk beneath the radar.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Some people prefer open carry; others do not. I have no problem with the outcome of such a decision. However, for me, personally, I am a private man. So it is characteristic of me then to carry concealed so as not to attract attention to me at all. But don't get me wrong. I am not against open carry. I'd rather walk beneath the radar.
And there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with that, and I fully support your right to make that decision.

I often question the motives of many people who OC. I personally would LOVE to beat the hell out of someone OCing with a video camera, screaming in a high pitched, whiny voice, "It's my right!!". Those people do nothing for our cause of preserving our 2A rights. But those like me, who will stroll through the local hardware store, or go to walmart, or McDonald's, with their kid? Just carrying on with life, and not making a spectacle of themselves? Yeah.... that's just living life.

Alas, the last I heard, assault and battery is illegal. Sure would be nice to beat the stupid out of a lot of people though.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have no problem with someone open carrying a pistol if they chose to and its legal where they live.

I do have a bit of an issue with the people that open carry AR's just to create attention for themselves. Even if it is your right it doesn't do us any good.

I have commented on many YouTube videos of open carriers in California warning them their actions were giving the political class an excuse to stop open carry.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

Yep yep, I fully agree. Those who do it for attention are total turds and aren't helping at all. This march that's being planned on Washington? I have nothing good to say about it, and I'm dreading the event.

But a lot of people have different reasons for doing anything they do. I lace my shoes and boots, left over right, because it's what I was taught in the Marines and it looks nice, neat, and professional. Some hop right over left. Some go left over right for the left, and right over left for the right. See what I'm getting at? I OC because if you've lived in Louisiana less than 15 contiguous years, it's an extra $150 bucks, on top of the approximate $150 that is the going rate for the class, prints, photos, and licensing fees. This is regardless of the fact that I held a CC permit in Mississippi before I moved here, and I'm a veteran (I personally think vets should be excused from the $100 class, but it'll never happen because the criteria covers legal implications too)

But, this is straying off topic.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #6

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

This is why I live in the country... I can carry my SKS down the street and nobody even looks twice..

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #7

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No arguement from me, i CC but its only because i dont like attention.

I do like having the option to OC if i choose too

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I support the right to OC. I may not agree with what one decides to OC, but I support the right to do so.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I like having the option of OC available. If one wishes to OC, that's their choice. I would ask that they not be a confrontational prick about it. Aside from that, enjoy.
I prefer to conceal, but there have been those lazy moments when it was easier to not care whether anyone saw it.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Viking Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

I rarely get any attention. I've had a handful of comments, like I said, along the lines of "nice gun", and that's been it. Most people here in my area don't notice, or don't care. I know this is different elsewhere though. In some places, if you even mention that you own a gun, and it could even be your great-great grandpappy's broken down old starter pistol, someone would call CPS and have your kids snatched. It's a pathetic world we're living in.

Closed Thread