Why am i not surprised... - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Why am i not surprised...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
Must be you are mearly skimming over the lines or you only read what you want to. Here, let me say it AGAIN. "I would remind her of how wonderful of a human being she is and how she has a strong supportive family that will stand by her to help her overcome the addiction. Then I would chain her up and get her the help she needed to get over the addiction." There, did you get it that time?
I get it, I just don't see how calling her a dirtbag helps her get over her addiction. Especially after she has died from that addiction.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #72

I have had way too many bad experiences with people who are hooked on drugs and have been used by people who are hooked on drugs to have a sypathetic heart towards them. Our experiences in life is what makes us. To those that have nothing but sympathy for drug users, it is my opinion that they probably have not been close enough to get burned by these people. If they have, it was by a direct family member and you know the old saying, blood is thicker than water. Meaning, they are willing to look at it like their family or close friend is a victim of drugs. I simply dont see it that way. People are vicitmized every day because of drug users through robberies, theft, and up to murder. It is unacceptable and has to be viewed as such.
Now, if you were hooked at one point and you overcome your addiction then good for you. You stopped the cycle and did what you needed to do for yourself, your family, and your friends. That still does not change what monster you became when you were high or looking for your high.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #73
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8252 Times on 4766 Posts
Likes Given: 10664

I suppose that if her all too brief and turmoiled life can serve one useful purpose it would be to serve as a bad example.

As to all of the judgmental comments here: I submit that she was weak and vulnerable and made all of the wrong choices. Nobody here knows what her path to fame was and it is wrong to speculate on it. I would bet she was famous because she was talented (even if I don't particularly care for her music) and with true talent sometimes fame comes naturally. She may not have sought it out. Artists are different that way. I do speak with some experience as I know many artists of different kinds, some of them well known and one or two quite famous. I have also known some extremely talented and totally obscure artists, mostly because they shunned the life of fame. One guy I knew was not only a very talented guitarist he was also an extremely talented luthier (a maker of stringed instruments) who lived under the highway on a trail that I took home when I was in high school. He was homeless by choice, would play guitar in the local bars and such for tips, and build guitars of very high quality in his camp. He would play them for awhile then set them on fire and burn them. He was often offered good sums of cash for his guitars but he refused to sell them, preferring to play them for a little while and burn them for some reason. He was obviously some kind of crazy, but that was how he rolled. He smoked pot and drank hard, but nothing else that I knew of. This was back in the early 1980's when coke was popular but I don't think he ever had enough money to get coke, and since I didn't smoke or snort I guess I might just have been ignorant of his proclivities. He ended up dying in an "accidental" fire that burned down his camp. As I recall he was in his mid-20's or thereabouts (I was in my teens when I knew him, he died when I was probably 21). I still today think it was a suicide.

My point in writing all of this is that to speculate on somebody whom you have never known is wrong in my book. And to be "glad" that someone like her is dead is to lack some element of humanity. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that Hitler Stalin, Hussain, bin Laden and others are dead, but those were truly evil people. We are talking about an obviously weak-willed addict in Amy Winehouse. It is not as though she was a child molester or murderer or something.

If you do not believe that it is the duty for strong people to help to protect those who cannot protect themselves you might just want to take a look in a mirror.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I get it, I just don't see how calling her a dirtbag helps her get over her addiction. Especially after she has died from that addiction.
There are people out there that think more of their parents, kids, friends or whatever than they do of themselves. If you have a parent standing there telling you that you have become a dirtbag druggie, it has a tendency to wake a person up. Now, if you dont hold your parents, kids, or whatever in high enough regard to have something like that make an impact, you probably wouldnt get it. I know when a friend of mine was hitting the bottle every day and his dad came in the apartment one morning and called him a worthless drunk, he got help and has been off the booze for almost 20 years now. A parents opinion makes a LOT of difference in a kids life.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #75

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
There are people out there that think more of their parents, kids, friends or whatever than they do of themselves. If you have a parent standing there telling you that you have become a dirtbag druggie, it has a tendency to wake a person up. Now, if you dont hold your parents, kids, or whatever in high enough regard to have something like that make an impact, you probably wouldnt get it. I know when a friend of mine was hitting the bottle every day and his dad came in the apartment one morning and called him a worthless drunk, he got help and has been off the booze for almost 20 years now. A parents opinion makes a LOT of difference in a kids life.
As you said previously you have had bad experiences with people on drugs, so I'll just have to concede on this and say I lack your experience level(luckily). I can speak from experience on the parents opinion holding a lot of weight and I don't disagree. Put in the same positions you were maybe I would feel the same but until that time I just don't see it(about the drugs, not parents).

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
A parents opinion makes a LOT of difference in a kids life.
I've known a few people who were too far gone for parental help. Once it really gets you, it can be more important than your parents, your friends, your beliefs, and your very life.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #77

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just like politics, being extreme (left or right) is bad. Drug addicts can be either or combination of a victim or a willing participant.

I grew up in a country where drug pushers start baiting kids as early as first grade with drugs for their lunch money. Some minors are lured in for easy sex by friends (boy friends), etc. Do you judge those kids the same way as a 21+ adult who made a conscious decision or choice?

Even adults fall victim; mostly due to curiosity, desperation, peer pressure, etc. I do not like "druggies" but will never lump all of them in one basket. I have seen what it can do to the best of us and sometimes escaping its clutches (addiction) is harder for some than others.

Parental guidance is very important but it is just a part of the equation and at certain point, "friends" may become a bigger influence. Life is dynamic and things can change in an instant...most times, drugs are right there in your next turn...just waiting for your time of weakness.

For the record, though I had easy access to drugs (i.e. US military's biggest duffel bag full of marijuana for less than $20 in the 80's, prescription drugs, etc), I neither consumed illegally nor am I an addict. I don't smoke and probably consume less than 10 beers/drinks a year.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)