Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Why is it always does that get hit by cars? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/why-always-does-get-hit-cars-52471/)

HotFudge 11-26-2011 09:11 PM

Why is it always does that get hit by cars?

Every roadkill'd deer I've ever seen has been a doe, never seen a buck. Why is it? Do bucks not roam as much or something?

Vincine 11-26-2011 09:22 PM

A buck danced with my car Sept. 2010. Only deer I ever hit.

UrbanNinja 11-26-2011 09:49 PM

I hit a buck about 10 years ago with an '88 Chevy astro van. S.O.B. got up and ran afterwards. Van was totaled. Twisted the radiator support and upper rail on the passenger side and the chassis had "side sway" . My father was sitting in the passenger seat. The bastard ran out from my right side and I caught him with the right front side corner, his rear end swung around and came in the passenger window hitting my father and covering him in crap and blood.
It was a pretty nasty hit but also very funny to see my dad covered in deer crap. The state trooper said we were very lucky because the day before a guy was riding his motorcycle on the same road when a buck came out of the woods and pounced on top of the biker at 60mph. The poor guy didnt make it.

Gatoragn 11-26-2011 10:00 PM

Bucks tend to move most during the rut, but they do get hit.

Lots of folks stop and cut the antlers off bucks when they do get hit.

I have seen buck carcasses with antlers in the morning on my way to work, but antlerless (even headless) on my home in the evening.

Some some of those antlerless carcasses may be bucks.

Gatoragn 11-26-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotFudge (Post 636359)
Every roadkill'd deer I've ever seen has been a doe, never seen a buck. Why is it? Do bucks not roam as much or something?

The older a buck gets, the less it roams except during the rut.

Chainfire 11-26-2011 11:25 PM

My wife had a buck lower his head and attack her passenger door as she was driving at 50 mph. It knocked him silly, but after a short time, he got up, shook his head and ambled off. I do see a buck dead on the side of the road every once in a while. Usually within a few hours someone stops and removes any horns.

CourtJester 11-26-2011 11:39 PM

People around here seem to carry saws in their cars and trucks just to cut the racks off if they find them.
There may be bucks out there, you just couldn't tell because their rack was cut off.

trip286 11-27-2011 12:15 AM

I've seen exactly one buck dead on the side of the road, unless there have been some with the antlers cut off as mentioned.

I guess I could rephrase that, I've seen one dead deer with antlers on the side of the road.

stickhauler 11-27-2011 12:35 AM

I've seen several, but then again, as a trucker, I likely drive a lot more than most folks. Only about 150,00 miles per year (just in the truck).

c3shooter 11-27-2011 02:56 AM

Have a small knife that the hilt is deer antler. From the buck that ran into the driver's side door of my car. Window was down, thought he was coming in the car with me.

Pulled over, opened door to see him get up and stagger off. When I went to get back in, found a good sized bit of one his antlers lying on my dashboard.

My knife is from "The one that got away".