Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who's a Fisherman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am.

Heading out into the ocean tomorrow morning in fact. At $12.00 per lb for rockfish, a guy would have to be crazy not to.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I mostly fish bass on Lake Shasta, but if I get the chance, I'll hit Sacramento or Trinity River when the salmon and steelhead are running.

3 or 4 times a year, I'll head over to the coast for some surf fishing.
Oh man do you ever fish trinity lake (Clair Engle)? There are some big small mouth and salmon in there. ALong with Rainbow I landed a 20" rainbow at stewerts fork one year many years ago. Back when the lake was 50 or 60' low.

Hey gork is a guy from stafford happens down to the VA beach whats the chances of hooking up for a fishing trip in the summer. My job allows me the entire summer off and still pays me.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Does having more fishing polls than guns and 4 tackle boxes packs full of stuff make me one? I don't fish as much as I would like. But I like to fish I like to watch the kids fish more than fish my self.
My last count on poles was 22. Most are species or type of fishing specific. I lived and fished Lake Erie and the tribs for a long time. Gotta have poles to troll walleyes and steelies in deep water, fly fish the tribs for steelies, muskies and pike in nearby lakes, and then there's the bass gear. Smallies on Erie and largemouths on many lakes. Plus, I have a pond and I live off a state owned lake. Lotsa panfish! Yea, I'd say I fish a little, too bad it's less than I'd like.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Oh man do you ever fish trinity lake (Clair Engle)? There are some big small mouth and salmon in there. ALong with Rainbow I landed a 20" rainbow at stewerts fork one year many years ago. Back when the lake was 50 or 60' low.

Hey gork is a guy from stafford happens down to the VA beach whats the chances of hooking up for a fishing trip in the summer. My job allows me the entire summer off and still pays me.
There are some big fish in there, but Shasta is so close that it's doesn't even take an effort to drag a boat out there. Lake Shasta bass tend to be a lot more sporty during the season than Trinity Lake bass are. You can fish Trinity all day long and get one or two lunkers or you can fish Shasta all day and pull in 1 to 2 pounders every couple of minutes.

You should see both lakes now. Shasta is over 200' down from capacity and Trinity hasn't fared much better.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

I'd be happier'n hell to make that happen! As a landscraper, I work pretty long hours in the summer, but the weekends aren't bad. The best bet is a nighttime trip for cobia. Nothing more fun than pulling a 40lb, pissed-off fish into a boat and trying to whup it into submission without hurting anyone else!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:33 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Got skunked today. Painted fish in ridiculous numbers, but the bite never turned on. I'm in the middle of cleaning gear and putting it up until I heal up from Tuesday's shoulder surgery, and will sorely miss the smell of a trashcan full of fish carcasses!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Got skunked today. Painted fish in ridiculous numbers, but the bite never turned on. I'm in the middle of cleaning gear and putting it up until I heal up from Tuesday's shoulder surgery, and will sorely miss the smell of a trashcan full of fish carcasses!
Hope you heal up quickly and cleanly. I'm not so sure life would be worth living if you weren't able to dip a line every once in a while.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.