Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who remembers 8-tracks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Who remembers 8-tracks?

I fell in love with rock music because of 8-tracks. My folks gave me a Radio Shack Realisitic 8-track player when I was 'bout 10 years old. The red one, with headphone jacks. The headphones were the same size as the suppressing shooting muffs of today, but you had to plug them in.

The first 8-track I bought with my lawn mowin' money was "Scream Dream" by Ted. I remember falling to sleep listening to that 8-track, and being awakened by "Alright, she wango, she tango!" I sat straight up, lowered the volume, and laid down to revel in the marvelous music that continued to fill my mind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't mind that you like 8-tracks. I loved the beatles on my family's 8-track when I was a kid.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
I don't mind that you like 8-tracks. I loved the beatles on my family's 8-track when I was a kid.
Show me where I said that I like 8-tracks. Worst delivery of music ever. Heck, in the middle of a song, it would change to the next track, and cut the song in half. Short lived media.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

8 Track players came out when I was in High School, I bought a Craig and I played it constantly. There were a few 4 Track players back then but all of them ate the cartridges eventually. My 8 Track was stolen in 1968 and I'm still looking for it...

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #5

My brother had an 8 track in his souped up '71 F150. I remember him playing Charlie Pride, Hank Williams,SR. My other brother had one in his room and then he bought a '74 (I think) Honda Civic and a remember that this was one of the first cars to have a cassette player.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

LOL! In the VW, my sisters used a portable 8 track player that had that big smackin handle on top that changed tracks when you slammed it like the buzzer on family feud. I remember the first song i heard was "Copa Cabana" (no it wasn't just coming out). Heck my sister had a deck that would record on the 8 track & put the soundtrack from "Footloose" on 8track for me from my album version. I also remember the 8 track to cassette adapter for all the cars back in the late 70's & early eighties. Then the CD to cassette adapters a few years later.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I used to hate when it was about to change between tracks, the song would fadeout in the middle, click over, and then fade back in. Annoying.

My first 8 track tape was (let me preface this by saying that despite all the joking about Boy George and yetis, I'm married to a woman, and straight) Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. No, not the Beatles one, the Bee Gees one.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

While I am too young too remember them, my second car had an 8-track player in it. It was a 1982 Chrysler Cordoba with a 318 under the hood.
1982 Chrysler Cordoba For Sale

I remember trying to replace that stupid 8-track player with a CD player. I took it to Circuit City and they said they couldn't install a CD player in it without rewiring the whole car. Forget that. I only had the car for about a year but burned a lot of tires off the rear end of it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hell yeah I remember 8-tracks. When I was a little one, my old man had a ranger pick up with a canopy and a pass through, so my sister and I used to ride in the back and my old man would put in John Denver's Thank God I'm a Country Boy and stuff like that when we went on road trips. Good times... I bet I still know the words to half those old tunes....

And Benning, not to worry, I too had a Bee Gees album, although not that one... LOL

Old 03-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And Benning, not to worry, I too had a Bee Gees album, although not that one... LOL
Spirits Having Flown?