Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Who remembers 8-tracks? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/who-remembers-8-tracks-11599/)

skullcrusher 03-06-2009 06:07 AM

Who remembers 8-tracks?

I fell in love with rock music because of 8-tracks. My folks gave me a Radio Shack Realisitic 8-track player when I was 'bout 10 years old. The red one, with headphone jacks. The headphones were the same size as the suppressing shooting muffs of today, but you had to plug them in.

The first 8-track I bought with my lawn mowin' money was "Scream Dream" by Ted. I remember falling to sleep listening to that 8-track, and being awakened by "Alright, she wango, she tango!" I sat straight up, lowered the volume, and laid down to revel in the marvelous music that continued to fill my mind. :D

janikphoto 03-06-2009 06:28 AM

I don't mind that you like 8-tracks. I loved the beatles on my family's 8-track when I was a kid.

skullcrusher 03-06-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janikphoto (Post 78815)
I don't mind that you like 8-tracks. I loved the beatles on my family's 8-track when I was a kid.

Show me where I said that I like 8-tracks. Worst delivery of music ever. Heck, in the middle of a song, it would change to the next track, and cut the song in half. :mad: Short lived media. :D

Mark F 03-06-2009 11:24 AM

8 Track players came out when I was in High School, I bought a Craig and I played it constantly. There were a few 4 Track players back then but all of them ate the cartridges eventually. My 8 Track was stolen in 1968 and I'm still looking for it...

supergus 03-06-2009 12:11 PM

My brother had an 8 track in his souped up '71 F150. I remember him playing Charlie Pride, Hank Williams,SR. My other brother had one in his room and then he bought a '74 (I think) Honda Civic and a remember that this was one of the first cars to have a cassette player. :)

orangello 03-06-2009 01:19 PM

LOL! In the VW, my sisters used a portable 8 track player that had that big smackin handle on top that changed tracks when you slammed it like the buzzer on family feud. I remember the first song i heard was "Copa Cabana" (no it wasn't just coming out). Heck my sister had a deck that would record on the 8 track & put the soundtrack from "Footloose" :o on 8track for me from my album version. I also remember the 8 track to cassette adapter for all the cars back in the late 70's & early eighties. Then the CD to cassette adapters a few years later.

Benning Boy 03-06-2009 03:23 PM

I used to hate when it was about to change between tracks, the song would fadeout in the middle, click over, and then fade back in. Annoying.

My first 8 track tape was (let me preface this by saying that despite all the joking about Boy George and yetis, I'm married to a woman, and straight) Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. No, not the Beatles one, the Bee Gees one.:(

dragunovsks 03-06-2009 08:03 PM

While I am too young too remember them, my second car had an 8-track player in it. It was a 1982 Chrysler Cordoba with a 318 under the hood.
1982 Chrysler Cordoba For Sale

I remember trying to replace that stupid 8-track player with a CD player. I took it to Circuit City and they said they couldn't install a CD player in it without rewiring the whole car. Forget that. I only had the car for about a year but burned a lot of tires off the rear end of it.

Dillinger 03-06-2009 08:08 PM

Hell yeah I remember 8-tracks. When I was a little one, my old man had a ranger pick up with a canopy and a pass through, so my sister and I used to ride in the back and my old man would put in John Denver's Thank God I'm a Country Boy and stuff like that when we went on road trips. Good times... I bet I still know the words to half those old tunes....

And Benning, not to worry, I too had a Bee Gees album, although not that one... LOL

skullcrusher 03-06-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 79068)
And Benning, not to worry, I too had a Bee Gees album, although not that one... LOL

Spirits Having Flown?