Who Needs 4 Wheel Drive?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who Needs 4 Wheel Drive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10787

Default Who Needs 4 Wheel Drive?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nq2jY1trxqg?rel=0

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
DFlynt Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

Interesting video and great music.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great video!!

To answer your question I don't need it until the snow is deep enough that I am pushing it with the bumper of my front wheel drive car. But to be honest if the snow is that deep there is no place that I need to be.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #4

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Great ground clearance and skinny open spoke wheels that act like paddles in the mud... all brand new for $400.00 back in the day.

Comparable modern off road ability will cost a minimum of $25k in today's dollars.... So.... Where is the "progress" I keep hearing about. ;-)

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 10-18-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10787

I used to go boonie bombing in my '65 Falcon. Momentum was my friend! I had that thing in many places where 4 wheelers would fear to tread. Balls and beer will get you stuck way too far off the road more often than not.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8274

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

I have owned 3 four wheel drives, and In each case i only had to use 4 hi or 4 lo once. Just to make sure it works. There is a reason that both of my trucks have agresive tires, tire chains, a hi-lift jack, a tree strap, 4 ton come along, and enough chain, straps, and add a links to get me out of trouble as long as there is an anchor point within 150 feet. I have taken my 2 wheel drive F-150 places that my friends won't take their 4X4s, and made it back out every time. Knock on wood, I have yet to be stuck beyond the point of self recovery, and I have pulled more than one 4X4 out of where it has gotten stuck.

Do I need four wheel drive. Nope, but I have no problem buying a 4X4 if I can find one at a good price. If I can pick it up in the spring, I can double my money in the fall when the prices and demand go up. Of course, that is if the wife doesn't decide that it is now hers.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #7

Liked 1987 Times on 1263 Posts
Likes Given: 1081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Great music and low gears.
Today's engine/trans combos are highway geared.
Back then it was inconceivable that a car would do 70 mph.
Henry just wanted get to his camp area. He didn't care about speed.

Did you know modern charcoal came from Henry Ford's waste wood?
He and E.G. Kings ford started making charcoal briquettes from HF s waste wood.

H.F., E.G., and Harvey Firestone pretty much invented car/r.v. camping and motor courts.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #8

Liked 375 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 30

To be the complete hoon and redneck you've got to own a 4wd,it's a natural progression of a man to regress to his childhood and go puddle jumping and getting properly bogged and with your mates spend all day moving 20 yards and then getting pissed afterwards around the camp fire and stretching the truth a tad.

This is my beast, a Toyota Landcruiser set up for hunting and fishing and 4wding with a 4.2 litre diesel 6 cyl.

I lifted it 2" and added a dual battery system with 9500kg winch, steel bulbar, overhead console and a plug connection in the back for a fridge. The tool box holds my recovery gear plus it can also hold a few rifles as well.

2013-01-05-11_31_55.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8274

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
To be the complete hoon and redneck you've got to own a 4wd,it's a natural progression of a man to regress to his childhood and go puddle jumping and getting properly bogged and with your mates spend all day moving 20 yards and then getting pissed afterwards around the camp fire and stretching the truth a tad.

This is my beast, a Toyota Landcruiser set up for hunting and fishing and 4wding with a 4.2 litre diesel 6 cyl.

I lifted it 2" and added a dual battery system with 9500kg winch, steel bulbar, overhead console and a plug connection in the back for a fridge. The tool box holds my recovery gear plus it can also hold a few rifles as well.
Sweet rig Hairbear.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #10

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32