This is who my ancestors were.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > This is who my ancestors were.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default This is who my ancestors were.

This was copied out of a history of SC, I can’t remember who wrote it.

Quote:
In August of 1766, Charles Woodmason became an itinerant minister for the Anglican Church (Church of England) to the Carolina Backcountry. He kept a journal of some of the years of his ministry. He was originally from the London area of England; came to South Carolina and was a planter and merchant; and then returned to England to be ordained prior to returning to the Colony to begin his ministry. In his journal, he described the living conditions of the people living in the Upcountry as follows: "In all these excursions, I am obliged to carry my own Necessaries with me - as Bisket - Cheese - a Pint of Rum - Some Sugar - Chocolate - Tea, or Coffee - With Cups Knife Spoon Plate Towels and Linen. So that I go always heavy loaded like a trooper. If I did not, I should starve. Never will I be out again from home for a month together to take the Chance of things -- As in many places have nought but a Gourd to drink out of; Not a plate knive or Spoon, a Glass, Cup, or any thing -- It is well if they can get some body linen, and some have not even that. They are so burthen'd with Young Children, that the Women cannot attend both House and Field -- And many live by hunting, and killing Deer -- There's not a Cabin but has 10 or 12 Young Children in it -- When the boys are 18 and girls 14 they marry -- so that in many cabins you will see 10 or 15 Children. Children and Grand Children of one Size -- and the mother looking as Young as the Daughter. Yet these Poor People enjoy good Health; and are generally cut off by Endemic or Epidemic Disorders, which when they happen, makes Great Havock among them." [entry January 1768]. Later he adds, "their poverty is so great, that were they to offer me a fee, my Heart would not let me take it." In September of 1768, he wrote: " It would be a Great Novelty to a Londoner to see one of these Congregations -- The men with only a thin shirt and pair of Breeches or Trousers on -- barelegged and barefooted -- The Women bareheaded, barelegged and barefoot with only a thin Shift and under Petticoat -- Yet I cannot break them of this -- for the heat of the Weather admits not any but thin Cloathing -- I can hardly bear the weight of Whig and Gown, during service. The Young Women have a most uncommon Practise, which I cannot break them off. They draw their Shift as tight as possible to the Body, and pin it close, to shew the fineness of their Breasts, and slender waists (for they are generally fine shaped) and draw their Petticoat close to their Hips to shew the firmness of their limbs -- so that they might as well be in Puri Naturalibus -- Indeed Nakedness is not censurable or indecent here, and they expose themselves often quite naked, without Ceremony -- Rubbing themselves and their Hair with Bears Oil and tying it up behind in a bunch like Indians -- being hardly one degree removed from them."

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Last edited by Last Crow; 09-23-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Added quotes.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Great story!

People like this built our country and yet we're about to give it away through the machinations of those who aren't fit to even serve those wretched people of the past....

9x18=Makarov

Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for a glimpse into your family history.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Great story!

People like this built our country and yet we're about to give it away through the machinations of those who aren't fit to even serve those wretched people of the past....

The battle of Cowpens was fought in the Upcountry of SC January 17, 1781.
Your welcome, it is also part of our country’s history.
The Battle of Cowpens

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #5

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

My first ancestor to this country came to Henrico County, Virginia on June 1st 1636 from England. He was a representative in the House of Burgess from 1644-1652.
In 1654 he called the speaker of the house a Devil. He had to apologize on his knees and pay a fine. In 1677 a jury found him guilty of uttering diverse mutinous words and fined him 10,000 pounds of tobacco. After considering his age(60's)the court reduced the fine to 6,000 pounds of dressed pork. At the time of his death he owned 1,100 acres in Henrico County Va. including Varina Plantation.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice read! I know my family names are Scottish and English and Irish, and approximately when the Irish and Scottish parts/people immigrated, but not much more until they settled in Sullivan's hollow area of MS and the Ovett, MS area. It must be nice to have such detail.