Who have you verbally attacked lately?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who have you verbally attacked lately?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Who have you verbally attacked lately?

The Communication Age may very well be the death of us all.
Here's my issue. A large portion of human communication is done not through words but through tone and rhythm. This is not adequately conveyed through written text unless one is a skilled writer and takes the time to establish tone. Emoticons are not sufficient.

But it goes beyond that. Human communication also relies on context. Single words have little meaning on their own. Observe a lot of the most tedious and absurd arguments that go on in this forum... Many involve ongoing conflict over the meanings of words, insane dissections of sentences that remove all context.

Is it a cynical device to overlook the obvious meaning? I don't think so. I think the Communication Age is training people to look at language in a cold, bloodless manner, one that involves consulting the dictionary due to the inability to put together multiple thoughts into a full concept that may shift from cold meaning to dictionary definitions.

It's a combination of the "know it all" mentality that arises from being able to look up information in seconds (whether applicable and reliable or not) and the natural reaction to a majority of communication being text-based. Of course also consider that most information looked up in seconds is summarized or isolated from full context.

It doesn't help that most of the "information suppliers" of this Brave New Text World are not the kinds of writers who can convey tone or context. Most, it seems, are barely literate.

The Communication Age is not really bringing people together. It is isolating people in their own abstract universes. Language has gone from being a way to communicate with others to a way to rationalize ideas to oneself.

Yes, I know this is a rant. However, after watching this forum over the last 4 or 5 months become a location to attack fellow members (supporting and not supporting) over trivial and unsubstantiated ideas that differ from thiers to even attacking over spelling errors. It is juvenile at best.

Thank you all for the opportunaty to engage over the last 1/2 year.

Best regards, MrKimber.

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Last edited by MrKimber; 09-28-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Mr. Kimber- I must say, I agree with in many respects.

Firearms are a HOBBY to me- hobby being defined as an enjoyable past-time. Since actions have been taken by various governments to politicize firearms and gun owners, politics has become inseparable from gun interests in many areas.

As to spelling or grammar, I try not to be critical if it does not change the meaning of a posting. I deal with people almost daily who did not learn English as their first language. Anyone that feels superior to another because his English is superior should take a lesson in humility, and try to communicate in Mandarin or Korean.

If I think a poster is an idiot, I have been known to tell them I think they are an idiot. Not because they like Gin and I like Scotch, or they like Glock and I like S&W. Rather because they have espoused a view that is so blatantly false, that 30 seconds of gathering information would have killed that (Looking to go polar bear hunting this spring- will my .25 Raven be too much gun for the 1000 yard shots?)

I don't mind youngsters- rather like them. We all used to be kids, and as long as they wipe their feet, maybe they can learn something. I am a member of another forum where a regular poster is 14- and a sharp young kid.

If something stops being an enjoyable past-time, then it should be something I get paid to do. Things I enjoy I do for free.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Guns, shooting, and self-defense are pretty serious subjects really and there's no margin for error or mistakes. When I see obviously false or bad information offered - yes I will point it out. Lot's of newbies come here looking for real advice and help and I for one don't want them given wrong or bad info.

The troubling part is we seem to have many folks lately that just continue to post crap no matter how many times they're called out on it. The "flash-bangs down the hallway" is a perfect example of crap to me...

Old 09-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
neo

I'm very young for you guys, and most people would never know. It's just these little rascals give all kids online a bad reputation. Please believe me, there are some mature kids out there!

I agree. Although this age has provided us with a wealth of information in seconds, it has also provided us with so much inaccurate information. Some people I know lack social skills, from so mmuch texting. Sad.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Mr. K's post makes sense to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #6

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

What is the problem.

I hate all of you equally so whats the problem.

EOH that is what I am.....

Equal Opportunity Hater.

Maybe you need to fill out the hurt feelings report sheet if you PM JD he will email one to you.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It's the smiley's. People often forget that voice inflection is lacking in text-based communications. Smiley's are supposed to be used to help with communicating things not communicated by simple text. Remember people smiley's can say "hey this is a joke & is not intended as a critical jab at this poor fellow". ( <-- indicates a friendly post not intended to offend)

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This forum isn't perfect, because the people that inhabit it aren't perfect.

My advice is to do something to help the forum or you may spend your free time somewhere else if the forum is bothering you.

Some people are having a ghey time insulting other forum members, but I'm sure it's been addressed. If not, it will be addressed shortly.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What is the problem.

I hate all of you equally so whats the problem.

EOH that is what I am.....

Equal Opportunity Hater.

Maybe you need to fill out the hurt feelings report sheet if you PM JD he will email one to you.

I rest my case!

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #10

With a community like ours... there's plenty of "Trolls" that like to stir the pot and get emotions flared up. I've seen it time & time again a new member (Troll) will post one thread to start a fight and when the mess starts to fly will add other posts so that it'll continue. Usually those members only have a small post count. I must say the Mods do a great job in stopping the "crap throwing contest".

I'm with NGIB...

Quote:
Guns, shooting, and self-defense are pretty serious subjects really and there's no margin for error or mistakes. When I see obviously false or bad information offered - yes I will point it out. Lot's of newbies come here looking for real advice and help and I for one don't want them given wrong or bad info.
I've noticed on this forum most of the trouble comes from the uninformed member or a Troll just posting out his kazoo.