Who has the best firearms coverage for renters insurance? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who has the best firearms coverage for renters insurance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

X2 on USAA. They are just a great company, bottom line.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Through the NRA you can get firearms coverage for any ammout. It covers the guns, clips, scopes, etc, etc. It doesn't cover the toaster, cd player, or sofa.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I called State Farm and they told me that in order to increase the insurance coverage from the max limit (2K) of regular renters insurance, I would need to take out a separate "personal articles policy" though which I could list all the individual articles (firearms included) that I'd like to be covered. The price for the coverage I'm looking for seemed to be alright. I will be shopping around first, but the personal articles policy seems to be the way to go. I need to double check, but I believe that this type of policy is for theft only. I'll let you guys know more once I find out. Thanks for all the help.

Here's a link to State Farm to help define what a personal articles policy covers and how it works.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/other/personal.asp

Last edited by ARnoob; 11-23-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added info

Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
I called State Farm and they told me that in order to increase the insurance coverage from the max limit (2K) of regular renters insurance, I would need to take out a separate "personal articles policy" though which I could list all the individual articles (firearms included) that I'd like to be covered. The price for the coverage I'm looking for seemed to be alright. I will be shopping around first, but the personal articles policy seems to be the way to go. I need to double check, but I believe that this type of policy is for theft only. I'll let you guys know more once I find out. Thanks for all the help.

Here's a link to State Farm to help define what a personal articles policy covers and how it works.

Personal Articles
A personal articles floater is generally more liberal in terms of the types of loss covered. For example, they cover mysterious disappearance which basically pays if something turns up lost, very convenient as many firearms get lost in tragic boating accidents. Just make sure that the articles are covered in your home as well as away from home, in your car, on your person, etc. Also, they may require an appraisal and specific scheduling of every firearm that you are insuring, some folks would have an issue with that as it serves as a de facto registration of your firearms.

BTW, expect State Farm to try and up your liability coverage now that they know there are firearms in the house.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Are you sure about this? I'm with USAA and they never mentioned it when I opened my renters policy. I will definately be calling them to make sure. I will say this about them, their customer service is absolutly second to none!
I'm also with USAA and didn't have to do that. They are the best by far imo!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
State Farm Insurance has a standard amt for firearms, but you can increase it without changing the entire policy. Well at least that is how it was last time I had renters, and that is how our home owners policy works.
My Nationwide policy is exactly the same way. They simply require you to submit receipts or appraisals (works the same for musical instruments if you want to up the coverage as well).

Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I signed up with State Farm for the Personal Articles Policy that insures against theft. There's no deductible and I got about 8K worth of coverage for around $12/mo.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #18

Default Who has the best firearms coverage for renters insurance?

Sorry to jump in a little late. I just found/joined the forum. Lots of folks including myself, insure their guns with a specialty carrier - NRA program, CoreVens, SCI and Collectibles Insurance are some of the ones I am aware of.

I work for and have my gun insurance with Collectibles Insurance. Only have to provide list of guns worth 5k or more - no serial #s required. You should keep a list of your guns and pictures in case of a claim.

Collectibles Insurance - Protecting Books, Stamps, Antiques and other Rare and Vintage collections in Baltimore, Maryland

Be happy to answer any additional insurance questions, Annemarie