Who has the best Drills? Lets hear em - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who has the best Drills? Lets hear em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I wouldn't buy the Ridged drills from Home Depot. they are an over priced version of Ryobi drills. made by the same company and everything.
Ryobi is light duty junk. The DeWalts are tits though. I've almost broken my wrist with the stupid thing when the drill bit binds as it breaks through steel.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Point shooting, point shooting, point shooting, point shooting, point shooting!

90% + effective first shots from a CCW condition will occur prior to you getting your gun in a sight shot position. Most will happen before you can see your gun! If you carry and don't practice this form of shooting you will die!

The likelihood is you will be fending off a knife or gun attack with your weak side arm while blowing the dirtbag's heart out with your gun mere inches from your holster. If you can’t control your CCW weapon with one hand, DON’T CARRY!

Sorry guys, but that's the raw truth! As a matter of fact my criteria is to get my double tap into center mass before my weak side hand comes to the gun. When a sight picture is observed, the third shot is to the head. This drill or one similar to it was dubbed the "Mozambique Drill" by Jeff Cooper. It is referred to as a Failure Drill (as in "failure to stop . . ."), or triple tap and originated in Africa in the 1950's-60's when inferior revolvers were a problem.

As anyone that has tried it will tell you, it's a very difficult drill to pull off. Ask Asmel, I showed him this shooting style while we were at the range and I'm sure he will vouch for it's difficulty. And keep in mind, the realistic condition would be with with the target falling from the first two hits, not a hanging paper target.

If you carry, please practice this drill. The simple roll of the dice says you will more than likely need this skill!

cane
Cane,
Much respect to someone who has the skill and good advice for all to gain the point and shoot skill. But if you don't have the skill it is spray and pray and that is wrong. I've shot for many years and still not a good point and shoot person. At best I'm a flash sight shooter, need to have my front sight on target to hit 80% at 25 yards. Point and shoot I'm only 80% at 5 yards/15 feet. I wish I was better but it is where I'm at. Not bad but not point and shoot qualified. I carry for personal defense and I expect 80% on target to be a reasonable result. The last thing I want is to hit the wrong person.

Movies have played up the idea that if you point your gun in the general direction the bullets only hit the bad guys. Not even close to true, understand that every round that leaves your firearm is a round you are accountable for, so be at least 80% able to place that round on target before you pull the trigger.

My favorite shot would be a bad guy fifty yards away, running toward me with a knife or rock. I'd be able to look at situation, tell him to stop or I will shoot him, aquire the perfect shot and explain it all. Real life I expect it to be ten yards, no words and putting him down at five yards. My nightmare, five yards or less.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #13

Liked 1432 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Cane,
Much respect to someone who has the skill and good advice for all to gain the point and shoot skill. But if you don't have the skill it is spray and pray and that is wrong. I've shot for many years and still not a good point and shoot person. At best I'm a flash sight shooter, need to have my front sight on target to hit 80% at 25 yards. Point and shoot I'm only 80% at 5 yards/15 feet. I wish I was better but it is where I'm at. Not bad but not point and shoot qualified. I carry for personal defense and I expect 80% on target to be a reasonable result. The last thing I want is to hit the wrong person.

Movies have played up the idea that if you point your gun in the general direction the bullets only hit the bad guys. Not even close to true, understand that every round that leaves your firearm is a round you are accountable for, so be at least 80% able to place that round on target before you pull the trigger.

My favorite shot would be a bad guy fifty yards away, running toward me with a knife or rock. I'd be able to look at situation, tell him to stop or I will shoot him, aquire the perfect shot and explain it all. Real life I expect it to be ten yards, no words and putting him down at five yards.
PLEASE understand I'm NOT talking about the cowboy gunfight type practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
My nightmare, five yards or less.
Point shooting is practiced by me ONLY for targets that have met the following conditions:
  • Response to an undeniable threat on my life. (Gun or knife attack)
  • Tango is inside 2 meters and may even have made bodily contact.
  • I simply do not have the time to get my weapon into sight shooting position.

This style shooting is not the only style I practice when I go to the range, BUT it is a style I practice every time I practice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello