Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Who is F***ING WHOM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
No merchant is ever your friend. He's in business to make money and the more he makes the happier he is. Do you get a raise every time your employer raises his prices? Of course not. Businessmen make money, that's what they do. I make them money, that's what I do. If I want to change the cycle I need to become a businessman. C'est la vie.
Thanks for the pointless advise... I'm not talking about a merchant making a reasonable or fair profit. I'm talking SCALPING, PROFITEERING and taking advantage of an environmental situation.

I've been an independent business OWNER for over 55 years, Bud... And, I've never SCALPED a customer for the sake of making an extra buck. Long term, repeat business and one on one relationships with my customers is how I make my "excellent" living. I pay my employees straight commission, so they get exactly what they are worth.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Thanks for the pointless advise... I'm not talking about a merchant making a reasonable or fair profit. I'm talking SCALPING, PROFITEERING and taking advantage of an environmental situation.

I've been an independent business OWNER for over 55 years, Bud... And, I've never SCALPED a customer for the sake of making an extra buck. Long term, repeat business and one on one relationships with my customers is how I make my "excellent" living. I pay my employees straight commission, so they get exactly what they are worth.
I'm pretty sure you've said this before, but what business are you in, Mark?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I feel for you, Mark. That post was a little heavy for the open forum, but I do feel for you. I would have taken back the difference and then scratched them off my list of places to go. Go plink and feel better.
Thanks Skullcrusher! I really thought I had a good rapport with my LOCAL, Ma & Pa gunshop... I have always made it a point to support local businesses as I am a local business owner myself. I have always enjoyed being on a first name basis with these folks. I let my guard down and got in the azz. I'll get over it, but those folks will never see me, or my money again. I spent almost $20,000.00 in guns & ammo last year... most of which went to these folks. I'll just go back to Cabela's or J&G Gun Sales!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I'm pretty sure you've said this before, but what business are you in, Mark?
Design & Engineering Company.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Post the name of this business in every gun forum you subscribe to. Let everyone know who's naughty and who's nice! Word of mouth travels fast...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #16

Speaking of prices has anyone noticed prices of AR-15s going down?

Been seeing them go down 100 bucks down here...but there are still a few gougers around.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #17

This really sucks because I would have thought business was good. No, very, very good for these guys right now. Heck, even I am out shopping in the gun stores now. Check out my post count and you'll see that I am one of the new-to-gun guys. Anyway, my point was this: I'm torn between supporting the locals (who are hopefully there for you) and the big out of town companies on the internet who state their price and you see the bottom line before you plunk down your cash and either walk out (cancel on the computer ) or make a scene. The same stuff happens in the dirtbike world and I have made it a point, 75% of the time, to frequent the locals; the ones who support my local riding areas and races and other events. I was approaching this the same way. Trying to support my local range who offers the help and advice that I need right now just getting started in the hobby or new "way of life". I guess you have "schooled" me already about some greedy shops out there that want nothing more than to make a few bucks 'cause they may not see me again.

However, for you, it sounds like this guy really just screwed himself royally because it sounds like you, spending $20K a year, probably has a large circle of friends (like I do in the dirtbike world) that can and will effect his tax return next year. ttt

Old 04-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Post the name of this business in every gun forum you subscribe to. Let everyone know who's naughty and who's nice! Word of mouth travels fast...
I have already e-mailed all of my hunting & shooting buddies. And so far, they all agree that we need to shop elsewhere. One of my buddies heard through the grapevine about my adventure and he wasn't surprized.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikingdad View Post
This really sucks because I would have thought business was good. No, very, very good for these guys right now. Heck, even I am out shopping in the gun stores now. Check out my post count and you'll see that I am one of the new-to-gun guys. Anyway, my point was this: I'm torn between supporting the locals (who are hopefully there for you) and the big out of town companies on the internet who state their price and you see the bottom line before you plunk down your cash and either walk out (cancel on the computer ) or make a scene. The same stuff happens in the dirtbike world and I have made it a point, 75% of the time, to frequent the locals; the ones who support my local riding areas and races and other events. I was approaching this the same way. Trying to support my local range who offers the help and advice that I need right now just getting started in the hobby or new "way of life". I guess you have "schooled" me already about some greedy shops out there that want nothing more than to make a few bucks 'cause they may not see me again.

However, for you, it sounds like this guy really just screwed himself royally because it sounds like you, spending $20K a year, probably has a large circle of friends (like I do in the dirtbike world) that can and will effect his tax return next year. ttt
Here's the thing, I tried to help my local businesses instead of sending money out there in nowhere-land. Sometimes I paid a little more for stuff but I was OK with that because I had a face to face realtionship with the business and its people. That means a lot to me, and I'm willing to pay a little more. However, I don't want to get totally ripped off. From now on, I shop PRICE ONLY.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #20

I'm curious about the name of this shop...the list of places to shop seems to be dwindling. CTD was trying to sell American Eagle 9mm 50rd boxes for 29.95; PMC Bronze 9mm for 24.95...I just turned around and walked out. I have problems paying over $15/box for target ammo

Newest Threads