Where were YOU- on 9/11?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Where were YOU- on 9/11?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Default Where were YOU- on 9/11?

Ladies and gentlemen- today is the anniversary of the 9/11 attack.

To honor the memory, those that would like to, please share where you were.

Please do NOT make political or conspiracy posts in this thread- they WILL be deleted- not the purpose of this thread.

Myself- I was in Sacramento doing training with a customer. Was supposed to fly back to Baltimore that night. Left the next morning- driving my rental car. I remember a huge sense of unity with my fellow travelers, and American flags suddenly showing up everywhere. I slept in the car, and pulled in to BWI 2 and a half days later.

Grabbed my car, and headed for the Pentagon where one of my contractor customers had been working before the attack. A day later, left for NYC to help assess damage to bldgs near the WTC. Left my car on the West side of the river, and caught my contractors work boat across. 2 days, back across and drove home to Virginia.

So- where were you?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I was in Key Biscayne, Florida. Received a call four hours later from my daughter who worked down the block from WTC. It took four hours for her and a city of people to walk the Brooklyn Bridge into safety. Brooklyn looked like a mess with papers from Manhattan all over its sidewalks and streets.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Home getting ready to go to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where I worked at the time. got a call to turn on the TV, as I turned it on, I was watching live coverage of the 2nd plane hitting the Tower. scared the crap out of me. I live on the Jersey Shore about 55 miles away from the NYC. In all my fear and shock, and not knowing what to expect next, I took a run to my local big box retailer to pick up Ammo. From the highway I could see the smoke trail from the fires. While on the way home, I listened over the radio as they described the tower as it came down. I pulled over with my jaw hitting the steering wheel in shock.

2 days later I went to my office. From the Verazanno Bridge you used to be able to clearly see the WTC, needless to say all you could see then was the smoke hung over lower Manhattan. When I got to my office the streets were filled with burned up papers from the offices inside the WTC, mind you this Williamsburg, across the East River and North of Lower Manhattan. I grabbed a few pieces to remember it by, packed up my laptop and headed home.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Last edited by drvsafe; 09-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I had just finished having breakfast with a friend of mine and heading back to my parents house when my mom called me - was in Amesbury, MA where my parents lived - I had flown up to MA from FL that previous Thursday to setup network and systems for my fathers new office. I was supposed to fly out of Logan Intl back to Fort Myers at 2pm. Got back to the house and my mom and I watched the news live and saw the 2nd plane hit the towers and the other 2 plane crashes. Ended up staying there until the following Sat. when I flew out of Manchester NH to FL....Couldnt wait to get home and see my wife and 1 month old boy...

Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I was in Oklahoma. A Bronco rig didn't set up right so they had five of us out there reworking their flowline. Id just climbed down off the gas buster to go get something to eat from my truck, tuna on wheat, and turned the radio on. I was floored. But it had been about three days since I slept, so it didn't really sink in until I finally left that rig a day later and got a nap.

It was horrible, but the sense of pride I saw in everyone in the months after was amazing. I thought that maybe people finally got it.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-11-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I was in juvenile court. Heard it on the radio before I went it.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I was on Corporal of the Guard duty at Camp Hansen in Okinawa, Japan. I was woken up in the middle of the night about 0200ish by my sentry alerting me about the attack. At first I thought it was a movie or a dream, but once we started picking up cars (they are tiny in Japan) and moving them away from the barracks and patrolling the base in the middle of a typhoon, it was pretty clear. The base was on lock down for a little bit and we had armored vehicles with M2 .50 cals and other tracked vehicles at every entry point around the base and around the clock foot patrols. The boys were fired up to go get the SOBs! Semper Fi!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I remember clearly where I was at. A buddy and I were out at a lease doing some mechanic work on a pumping unit. We'd heard some of the initial sporadic reports coming in on the radio, at first they thought it was a private plane. When it became clear it was much more than that, we were stunned like everyone else in America and even though we were working we realized it was history in the making. We decided we needed to get to a TV and see what was going on so we jumped in my truck and drove like hell to get to my place, which was just a few miles away. I still remember the feeling of "this can't be happening" and to me it all remains as vivid as yesterday. God bless those that were there....

Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

RAF Lakenheath, UK. As it began to happen and word spread, everyone started trying to get news over the network, which pretty much ground to a halt. So, due to that, everyone not actively busy was crowded into the break room watching it unfold on CNN. Everything stopped and we started generating F-15s for Air to Air patrols over Southern England The base went into lock down as FPCON Delta was implemented. The HMMWVs with mounted guns were placed at the gates. That was something I don't believe anyone had seen in the UK in many years.
My housing area was an old RAF area (Watton) away from the base. The Brits had started putting up banners of support and leaving flowers by the entrance rather quickly afterward. The outpouring of support from the Brits was a pleasant surprise and greatly appreciated.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I was in bed as it was my day off. I got a call from a long time friend and turned on the TV. I didn't move for at least two hours. After, I went into work anyways. There was no business that day. I remember finding it very eerie that there were almost no cars out and there were no planes in the sky. I live between O'Hare and Midway airports so planes are always making noise here.