Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Where does your family come from

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1816 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 2048

Default Wood pile.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Great to see I have so many part English friends at your side of the pool.
Oh sh$t, I hope that somebody screwed up on google. I researched my grandfathers last name on my mothers side, and it shows and English background and coat of arms. Then again you can't go by the way the English pronounce thier words........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #72

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Oh sh$t, I hope that somebody screwed up on google. I researched my grandfathers last name on my mothers side, and it shows and English background and coat of arms. Then again you can't go by the way the English pronounce thier words........
New there had to be a little Brit in you....... No pun intended
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #73

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I guess I am a typical American mutt. Native American (Lenni-Lenape), English and Irish on mother's side. Welsh and English on father's side. Family goes back to 1600's on mother's side and earliest I have traced father's family is to 1790's. Many families listed births on front page of Bible, the one I have goes back to that date.

Possibly related to the J C Pyle of Revolution...although I believe he was a loyalist.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I guess I am a typical American mutt. Native American (Lenni-Lenape), English and Irish on mother's side. Welsh and English on father's side. Family goes back to 1600's on mother's side and earliest I have traced father's family is to 1790's. Many families listed births on front page of Bible, the one I have goes back to that date.

Possibly related to the J C Pyle of Revolution...although I believe he was a loyalist.
A well documented British mutt. A true American
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #75

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

My roots go back to Prussia/Germany and England.
My Moms side(English) of the family had been here before the Revolutionary war,my Dads side(German) made their way to St Charles,MO. up the Mississippi river from New Orleans in 1847.

This is one of my ancestors,he helped bring President Lincoln home after the assassination riding the Lincoln Funeral train back to Springfield,IL. from Washington.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7t3TbK1Qa2MAbMJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZ zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12mcfq4f3/EXP=1353571667/**http%3a//bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl%3findex=C000973

Me i'm just an All American good ol' boy from the Show-Me State

Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #76
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 866 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I was told as a youngster that the buzzards laid its eggs on a rock and the sun hatched us.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I was told as a youngster that the buzzards laid its eggs on a rock and the sun hatched us.
Probably a British Buzzard.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 2048

Default Whew......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
New there had to be a little Brit in you....... No pun intended
I googled the wrong name, seems there is some famous french blood in the wood pile. Philippe pinel....1745-1826........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #79

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

My Father's people were fairly easy to trace as they had been rather well off before the Civil War. Rich people leave more records. (the rich part left three generations ago) My 5th great grandfather came in 1720 from Scotland via Ireland The wives of the Male members of the family are very hard to trace. Hell, some of my ancestors may have come from Kenya with the potus, you just never know for sure. My mother's people were less affluent so they left fewer records, but were from Holland and came in the early 1800s.

I was very fortunate when working through the family tree in finding someone, who I didn't know existed, who had already done all the work. This woman had over 40,000 people in her records, and went back to the Middle Ages. I found that one of my ancestors was a Scottish Viking known "Sven the Skull Crusher" (I suspect he was a Republican) That explains why I sometimes have the urge to burn a monastry, rape a nun, and impale small children on a pike.

If you study genealogy, you will find that your people probably came from a lot of different places unless they are late arrivals.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This