Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Where does your family come from (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/where-does-your-family-come-76041/)

Davyboy 11-09-2012 09:56 PM

Where does your family come from

Who do you think you are
Recently found out I am descended from the (black Irish). Turns out I am a direct descended of a survivor of the Spanish Armada circa 1588 who was imprisoned in Ireland for 11 years and later settled there. Wondered where the jet black hair came from "before it went grey"

Whats your story.

orangello 11-09-2012 10:01 PM

It is my understanding that the Henderson side of the family originated in Scotland (highland supposedly); the Thompson side somewhere in England; the O'Sullivan/Sullivan side in Ireland (the southern part supposedly); we won't talk about the rest of them.

I've never met any members of the family from any of the "old countries", so it is all second-hand information to me. I was born in this county in the nearest town.

Mosin 11-09-2012 10:10 PM

100% German, both sides.

Came to America to escape the Weimar Republic, worked the Pennsylvania coal mines and Maryland docks.

Sonic82 11-09-2012 10:12 PM

My family are members in the Mayflower Society. Which means you must prove you are linked to a particuler passenger aboard the Mayflower. In our case it is John Howland, indentured servant to John Carver. John Carver was chosen the first governor. Prior to that...Wales.

AsSeenOnTV 11-09-2012 10:20 PM

c3shooter 11-09-2012 10:30 PM

Biggest collection of mutts you could ask for.

The earliest of my family to come to the US was in the 1600s- one step ahead of the debtor's prison and/or the hangman- from England. Later arrivals were French Huguenots trying to stay ahead of the Cardinal, and the Scotch-Irish that picked the losing side of war with England. Still others were Cherokee that decided they did not want to take that long walk to Oklahoma.

In a nutshell- my ancestors were the ones that were too hard to catch!

Coyotenator 11-09-2012 10:33 PM

Dad's side came from England and mom's from Germany & France.

Both families have been in the Northwest since shortly after the Civil War.

One of my Great-Grandfathers was a Washington Territorial Marshall ,and had the reputation of bringing the fugitive back dead more often than nought.My dad had his Colt pistol,holster and badge until they were stolen in the move to Hawaii in 1968.

rurak 11-09-2012 10:39 PM

Mostly polish. My full first name is Thaddeus. My father is scottish and polish. His father and mother were both marines in ww2. Its where they met i think. Im not quite sure about my mothers side, some irish i think. Im polish, irish and scottish ........ never had a tan

PC167 11-09-2012 11:06 PM

Mostly from Norway, but my grandpa's ancestors on my dad's side came from Europe.

mrm14 11-09-2012 11:21 PM

Fathers family origin, on his fathers side, is from Glasgow Scotland. The first one arrived here in 1781. His mothers side is from Ireland. They arrived here sometime in the mid 1700's.

Mothers family origin, on her fathers side, is from Wurzburg Germany. The first one arrived here in 1884. Her mothers side is from Dorchester England. The first one arrived here in 1731.

Pretty much I consider myself an American mutt.:D