Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Where do you shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where do you shop

Hey everyone, just curious where you buy your guns.

Do you shop online at all, if so, what online sites do you trust?
Is Bud's Gun shop a good place or do you prefer somewhere else?
Guns for Sale

I'm going to buy my first gun and it seems online prices are always better.

any input is appreciated.
thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Just remember that with online purchases you must pay for shipping/ FFL fees. Often that can more than make up the price difference. I personally like buying local and supporting my local economy, even if it's a few extra dollars. Also you can haggle with local owners and often they'll drop their price or throw in extra goodies to make the sale rather than get nothing.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've bought a few hard to find things at Bud's and Gunbroker. Kain is correct that you have to factor in shipping and FFL fees to look at the total cost. Depending on the sales tax in your state - it may be a wash.

I'm very fortunate that we have a young man here in Savannah/Hinesville that owns the 2 best stores in the area. His prices are very reasonable, you can test shoot any gun you're considering at the indoor range, and his FFL fee is very reasonable.

If you're considering an online buy - find the FFL first! Very, very important.

Some have high fees, some will charge you "extra" for a gun they normally stock, and some won't even receive a gun they normally stock. Do the FFL work up front. My store gave me a scanned PDF copy of his FFL which I can email/fax to the store if I want to buy online...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #4

I don't know what FFL means.
Is it, They have to ship the gun to a licensed dealer near me, and there are fees from the local shop?
About how much are the fees.

Buds has the xdm for 590 plus shipping.
and my local store has it for 680 plus state tax, 8.9%.

I would like to support the local shop but I would also like to save 100+ dollars

I guess I don't understand the FFL thing
oh and.. you can haggle at shops, I suck at haggling.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, FFL refers to your local dealer's Federal Firearms License. I pay $15 for a transfer and that's very cheap. I've seen fees in the $30-$60 range quite often.

Bud's has a list of dealers that are registered with them on their website. I'd check the list (you look by zip) and then contact the ones nearby and ask them what the fees are. If your dealer of choice is registered, you buy the gun and select them as the receiving dealer right then and there - transaction done.

Also note that Bud's prices are for cash and using a credit card adds 3% to the listed price. If you pay cash, you have to mail them a check or money order and wait for it to clear.

If you choose a dealer not already registered, you'll have to get a copy of the FFL sent to them...

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If you have a major sporting goods retailer in your area, they will not charge you for the FFL transfer, in most cases. For instance, Gander Mountain will not charge a fee for transfer, but they may charge you a small % for stocking fee. It is usually less than than the FFL transfer. Ask your local dealer to order your firearm for you. A local guy here will charge FFL transfer, but if you ask him to order the arm for you, he will not charge any fee for doing so. He would rather have the traffic from the mfr to boost his dealer of the mfr arm than make $ on a transfer. Shop around, imo.

Buds and Gunbroker are reputable dealers of online stuff, just factor in the transfer fee and shipping if applicable. Just like buying a car, again, shop around.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #7

awesome, thanks for the info.
I'll check this stuff out..

thanks

Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnapkin View Post
Hey everyone, just curious where you buy your guns.

Do you shop online at all, if so, what online sites do you trust?
Is Bud's Gun shop a good place or do you prefer somewhere else?
Guns for Sale

I'm going to buy my first gun and it seems online prices are always better.

any input is appreciated.
thanks
I go on gunbroker.com once in awhile to see if there is anything good in my area. Otherwise I usually check out what they have at Gander Mountain. Once in awhile I go to the ma & pop stores around here.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #9

The retail stores around here fall into two categories: They either have reasonable prices but usually don't have much of anything in stock, or they are way overpriced but have a good selection. I have bought some stuff from those in the first category when they have what I'm looking for available. I've been lucky enough to find a small part-time FFL that operates out of his home. He's a LEO as a full time job. He can get most anything, and his prices are usually very competitive.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I look on line but have never bought anything that way. All my purchases/trades have been done with local gunshops or local individuals.

OC

"magbum"